Character & Fitness Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Void

Silver

Re: Character & Fitness Question

Post by Void » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:41 pm

You guys know that the OP was 6 months ago, right?

uofrhopefull

New

Post by uofrhopefull » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm

I've managed to get into some my top choices, granted, I was lucky enough that they didn't ask for traffic tickets that resulted in less than a $200 fine.

I've talked to the Bar for a couple of states that I'm interested in, and they seem to think that as long as I continue to stay on the right path I should be OK. I fully expect to have to jump through some hurdles come C&F time, I'm just hoping they will see that I was a young idiot, and I don't even know who that person was.

I really wanted to get some more input from you all (I've learned quite a bit from the TLS posters).

I am hopeful that if they do pay attention to patterns that they look at the fact that there will only be 5 citations in the 8 years preceding my application the Bar.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Void wrote:You guys know that the OP was 6 months ago, right?
Nope, that would have been useful to have noticed....

Was good to hear the OP is doing alright with it though....

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:36 pm

uofrhopefull wrote:I've managed to get into some my top choices, granted, I was lucky enough that they didn't ask for traffic tickets that resulted in less than a $200 fine.

I've talked to the Bar for a couple of states that I'm interested in, and they seem to think that as long as I continue to stay on the right path I should be OK. I fully expect to have to jump through some hurdles come C&F time, I'm just hoping they will see that I was a young idiot, and I don't even know who that person was.

I really wanted to get some more input from you all (I've learned quite a bit from the TLS posters).

I am hopeful that if they do pay attention to patterns that they look at the fact that there will only be 5 citations in the 8 years preceding my application the Bar.
...If you stop fucking up.

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Good God :shock:

That's a damn lot of C&F, but it looks like you've done your due diligence.

Best of luck, and remind me to stay far away from you on the highway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:53 pm

I guess I should warn my friend who is in HSY that his 20+ dismissals of traffic violations will keep him barred from the exam.

I think the problem here is convictions not dismissals. I do not see how all your minor infractions can be used against you; in fact, I would not be surprised if it caused some laughter for the reviewers who almost certainly had brushed with "the law."

The DUI is going to be a stupid blip but do consult a lawyer not TLS.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Void wrote:You guys know that the OP was 6 months ago, right?
OP was the one who bumped the thread.

jbc7

New

Post by jbc7 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 pm

how the hell can you be so bad at driving
wow

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Applying_Late wrote:I guess I should warn my friend who is in HSY that his 20+ dismissals of traffic violations will keep him barred from the exam.

I think the problem here is convictions not dismissals. I do not see how all your minor infractions can be used against you; in fact, I would not be surprised if it caused some laughter for the reviewers who almost certainly had brushed with "the law."

The DUI is going to be a stupid blip but do consult a lawyer not TLS.
Unfortunately OP's behavior shows a disregard for following the law. I'd have to argue that it could come back and bit him/her in the ass.

OP says they have spoken with the Bar (whatever that means), so it appears he/she knows the risk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Do you really believe that someone who was issued over 50 minor traffic violations (dismissed say 47 times) would have CF trouble? I highly doubt it--it is a joke to be penalized for "disregarding the law" if the law was proved to be applied incorrectly ie dismissed. I think law enforcement tends to be a little too ticket-happy and CF Ppl know this. And the law schools that ask for infractions are bad law schools--for them it's a filter to weed out as much bad publicity they can and they also gamble that if one has a bad history with infractions, then they might bring other "bad" things.

And the whole disregard-for-the-law argument is strange: 50 speeding tickets does not imply that the person who accrued them is a driving pariah or speed monster; maybe there are other issues at stake....

I am going to reiterate that dismissed infractions are not going to cause a blip not even the damn pattern. The dui is troubling, the no show is troubling--they speak to something greater.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 am

jbc7 wrote:how the hell can you be so bad at driving
wow
oh for christ's sake. of all the things to be self-righteous about. shut up.

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 am

I went back and looked at the list again, there's only a few actual moving violations, so my apologies to the OP.

I do agree that the DUI and the no-shows could be an issue, but it looks like those will be over a decade old at the time he/she graduates.

This could be interesting to follow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”