Academic Probation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ThreeRivers

Silver

Academic Probation

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:54 pm

I currently have a 3.48 GPA.... and my 2nd semester was a 0.00 GPA (have had all 4.0's since). While I obviously know that 0.00 has screwed me / doesn't look good I kind of just viewed it as me applying with the biggest upward curve possible. Applying to law schools now and some ask in their character / fitness section if I have ever been on academic probation (which I obviously was after that 0.00). Will that hurt me (other than the fact it killed my gpa)?

MrAnon

Gold

Re: Academic Probation

Post by MrAnon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 pm

It wont hurt at all. seriously. they truly dont care if you were on academic probation 5 times and it took you 10 years to complete your degree. the only thing that matters is final GPA. Going a step further I'll say that its exactly because of all this that you really should think about whether this is the kind of degree granting program you wish to enter. They'll take money from anyone.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:01 pm

MrAnon wrote:It wont hurt at all. seriously. they truly dont care if you were on academic probation 5 times and it took you 10 years to complete your degree. the only thing that matters is final GPA. Going a step further I'll say that its exactly because of all this that you really should think about whether this is the kind of degree granting program you wish to enter. They'll take money from anyone.
Thanks for the input

0.00 gpa when I was 18 and 4.0's ever since. I was in a very low place at that time, I've done everything I can to try to make up for those 3 months of being a pathetic pos (to put in nicely) and I'm actually graduating on time despite that semester. That being said, I am aware that I should not attend a joke law school, but was thinking a 3.48 wouldn't hold me back too much from a good law school with a high LSAT. Kind of became paniced when the "academic probation" came up.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:56 pm

3.48 is still a competitive score. With a high enough LSAT score you should still stand a decent shot at higher-ranked schools that are no jokes. Just be sure to include an addendum explaining your bad semester. It works out for the better that it was when you were younger. Given that you followed a bad round with all 4.0's after that, your 3.48 could/possibly/maybe/hopefully weighed a bit differently, given these circumstances. So, no need to panic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”