T14 (HYS focus) -- this cycle or next?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jw316

T14 (HYS focus) -- this cycle or next?

Postby jw316 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:04 pm

3.95 UGPA, graduating in May (8 months, ~10 credits (3 classes) after current courses). Need a 170+ on LSAT (LSAT virgin).

Either taking an online LSAT course now for the Dec. administration and then applying this cycle, or taking an in-person course for the June administration and applying next cycle.

Nearly everything I've read dictates you want apps in Sept or Oct at the latest (esp. for HYS), what do I do?

Thank you!

kaiser

Re: T14 (HYS focus) -- this cycle or next?

Postby kaiser » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:06 pm

All depends on what your score is. If you do very well, then just go for it as soon as you get your score back. If not, you will be able to retake it in February or June, and will then be able to apply early next cycle. Its a win win, assuming you have it in you to get such a high score (which is a big if, assuming you are merely hypothesizing about your capability to score above a 170)

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:14 pm

Also note that for Yale, it won't matter when you get your app in as long as it's in by the deadline. Yale doesn't have rolling admissions.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Have you even started studying yet? If so, you should have a ballpark range for where you're either PTing or what your cold diagnostic was.

If you haven't started studying, fugeddaboutit. Apply next year and spend this year studying YOUR ASS OFF to get a sweet 17X so that you're T14 sekure ;) It's worth putting off LS for an extra year...even 5 pts can make a HUGE difference in your cycle. This is even truer if you start at a low or mid-range cold diagnostic score (say, in the 140s or 150s), because you'll need time to study. Focus on maintaining your GPA this quarter/semester, then start studying next calendar year and take the June 2012 test. Then you can re-take in Sept/Oct if you don't do as well as you like.

Alternatively, start studying now and take the February test, then you have 2 opportunities to retake. If I were you, I wouldn't be satisfied with anything under 170. ^_^

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Have you even started studying yet? If so, you should have a ballpark range for where you're either PTing or what your cold diagnostic was.

If you haven't started studying, fugeddaboutit. Apply next year and spend this year studying YOUR ASS OFF to get a sweet 17X so that you're T14 sekure ;) It's worth putting off LS for an extra year...even 5 pts can make a HUGE difference in your cycle. This is even truer if you start at a low or mid-range cold diagnostic score (say, in the 140s or 150s), because you'll need time to study. Focus on maintaining your GPA this quarter/semester, then start studying next calendar year and take the June 2012 test. Then you can re-take in Sept/Oct if you don't do as well as you like.

Alternatively, start studying now and take the February test, then you have 2 opportunities to retake. If I were you, I wouldn't be satisfied with anything under 170. ^_^

This

Plus two years of work experience is nice for applications. I don't think HYS care so much, but a lot of other schools like that.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Don't waste that GPA. Study SERIOUSLY (3 months, full time job), take the test, and look to apply next cycle. Then you can spend the next little while putting your apps together, getting letters, writing personal statements, etc. When August rolls around, you can be ready to go and get everything in early and give yourself the best chance.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Just wait. Having 1 year+ of WE helps for HYS, try to line up a good job and take the test in February or June.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”