Unclear about Emory..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

Unclear about Emory..

Postby sangr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:45 pm

hey guys

i asked admissions about the Emory why essay and i got the conclusion was unclear

One gentleman said its not encouraged this year, and another lady, when i asked, said that they would rather not waste space, but cant prevent me from attaching one. and it was a bit unclear..its too late to call now. does anyone know the clear answer? are they ok to add in or not?

tmon

Re: Unclear about Emory..

Postby tmon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Sounds like the first person said it's not encouraged, and the second person said they can't prevent you from doing it, but.... With the "...." implying that you probably shouldn't because they'd prefer to not have it. Unless you have something incredibly convincing to put in it I'd leave it out.

sangr

Postby sangr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:50 pm

alright i was just confused because it seems like why essays are so focused on, in TLS. and i do trust a lot of the opinions on the board. have any idea why they wouldnt want it? i wouldnt be addressing the school at ALL then.

to my knowledge they had a space with 1000 characters on it, but its gone now

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:55 pm

sangr wrote:alright i was just confused because it seems like why essays are so focused on, in TLS. and i do trust a lot of the opinions on the board. have any idea why they wouldnt want it? i wouldnt be addressing the school at ALL then.

to my knowledge they had a space with 1000 characters on it, but its gone now

Why Xs are good when they can demonstrate a good reason why you're a good fit with the school. However, I doubt the common knowledge around here when you're discouraged from attaching a document to your application is to do it anyways. Can't really say why they don't want them as I'm unfamiliar with Emory. Maybe they're just trying to get decisions out faster or something. Either way if staff is saying or hinting that you shouldn't do something with your app, don't do it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”