Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:31 am

I got busted by a meter maid today with an expired tag. I know single parking tickets aren't usually a problem, but the charge on this one is "current registration tag not displayed".

Any thoughts on this specific charge? (other than I'm an idiot, because I know that already)

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby kahechsof » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:35 am

It's a parking ticket. It's nothing. They don't want to know about it.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:40 am

kahechsof wrote:It's a parking ticket. It's nothing. They don't want to know about it.


That's what I thought, but I wasnt sure because it wasn't really related to how or where I was parked. I wasn't I the car though, so it's definitely not a moving violation or anything like that.

User avatar
cmckid
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby cmckid » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Auto reject in T1, maybe a chance at 75-100.

;)

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby kahechsof » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:09 pm

The reason it is a parking ticket, is that it WAS because of where you parked.
It is illegal to park on city streets without a proper registration. You can put it in your front yard on cinder blocks forever without a registration, license plate, emissions, windshield, or anything.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:06 pm

cmckid wrote:Auto reject in T1, maybe a chance at 75-100.

;)


Very funny. :) I'm not THAT much of a n00b.

kahechsof wrote:The reason it is a parking ticket, is that it WAS because of where you parked.
It is illegal to park on city streets without a proper registration. You can put it in your front yard on cinder blocks forever without a registration, license plate, emissions, windshield, or anything.


That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Opie wrote:I got busted by a meter maid today with an expired tag. I know single parking tickets aren't usually a problem, but the charge on this one is "current registration tag not displayed".

Any thoughts on this specific charge? (other than I'm an idiot, because I know that already)


Depends on what each application says, but you might as well disclose it on the initial app rather than having to amend later. It will have ZERO affect on your admissions decision.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:13 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:I got busted by a meter maid today with an expired tag. I know single parking tickets aren't usually a problem, but the charge on this one is "current registration tag not displayed".

Any thoughts on this specific charge? (other than I'm an idiot, because I know that already)


Depends on what each application says, but you might as well disclose it on the initial app rather than having to amend later. It will have ZERO affect on your admissions decision.

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby kahechsof » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:16 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:I got busted by a meter maid today with an expired tag. I know single parking tickets aren't usually a problem, but the charge on this one is "current registration tag not displayed".

Any thoughts on this specific charge? (other than I'm an idiot, because I know that already)


Depends on what each application says, but you might as well disclose it on the initial app rather than having to amend later. It will have ZERO affect on your admissions decision.


You trolling on this guy?
There is no application that asks for parking tickets.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:19 pm

kahechsof wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:I got busted by a meter maid today with an expired tag. I know single parking tickets aren't usually a problem, but the charge on this one is "current registration tag not displayed".

Any thoughts on this specific charge? (other than I'm an idiot, because I know that already)


Depends on what each application says, but you might as well disclose it on the initial app rather than having to amend later. It will have ZERO affect on your admissions decision.


You trolling on this guy?
There is no application that asks for parking tickets.



It's not a parking ticket. Reread. It's a ticket for expired registration tags, that he got while his car was parked without him in it.

If it asks for all charges except parking tickets or speeding tickets, as does the application at Iowa for example, it makes more sense to disclose it now than finding out later you have to do it. It's going to take 10 extra seconds to put it in a document, and then 2 seconds per app to attach it.

ETA: Unless "expired tag" doesn't mean "expired registration sticker that you put on your license plate," which is how I understand it. If it's an expired parking pass or the like, don't bother.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Hide your cars, hide your bikes, cuz they ticketing everybody in Opie's town.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:21 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:Hide your cars, hide your bikes, cuz they ticketing everybody in Opie's town.



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby kahechsof » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:

It's not a parking ticket. Reread. It's a ticket for expired registration tags, that he got while his car was parked without him in it.

If it asks for all charges except parking tickets or speeding tickets, as does the application at Iowa for example, it makes more sense to disclose it now than finding out later you have to do it. It's going to take 10 extra seconds to put it in a document, and then 2 seconds per app to attach it.


It's a parking ticket bro. It is illegal to park or operate a car on city streets without current registration. It isn't illegal to own the car.
But at this point, I'm sure you've made him too nervous to not disclose it. And like you say, it will take 10 seconds. So I assume OP will disclose. And it won't hurt him- I'm sure other people have disclosed far more foolish things, like failure to pay a meter.

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Opie wrote:I got busted by a meter maid today with an expired tag. I know single parking tickets aren't usually a problem, but the charge on this one is "current registration tag not displayed".

Any thoughts on this specific charge? (other than I'm an idiot, because I know that already)


You are so dumb. You are really dumb. Fo' real.


chrisbru wrote:Depends on what each application says, but you might as well disclose it on the initial app rather than having to amend later. It will have ZERO affect on your admissions decision.


He don't have to come and confess. They lookin' for him. They gonna find him. So you can run and tell that. Homeboy.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:29 pm

kahechsof wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

It's not a parking ticket. Reread. It's a ticket for expired registration tags, that he got while his car was parked without him in it.

If it asks for all charges except parking tickets or speeding tickets, as does the application at Iowa for example, it makes more sense to disclose it now than finding out later you have to do it. It's going to take 10 extra seconds to put it in a document, and then 2 seconds per app to attach it.


It's a parking ticket bro. It is illegal to park or operate a car on city streets without current registration. It isn't illegal to own the car.
But at this point, I'm sure you've made him too nervous to not disclose it. And like you say, it will take 10 seconds. So I assume OP will disclose. And it won't hurt him- I'm sure other people have disclosed far more foolish things, like failure to pay a meter.



Not trying to make anyone nervous. Just trying to help, bro. The reason for disclosure is mostly for C&F when it comes time for the bar anyway, and they are just going to flag things that might be an issue later. You may disagree, but I just think it makes more sense to disclose everything. Although I see it as different from an expired meter parking ticket, you may be right about it being just a different form of a parking ticket. My thought process was that you can also get pulled over and ticketed for the same thing.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 pm

One app I have specifically says no parking tickets. Should I disclose on that one?

And I agree that this really isn't about admission as much as C&F. They'll let you into law school with so much worse.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Opie wrote:One app I have specifically says no parking tickets. Should I disclose on that one?

And I agree that this really isn't about admission as much as C&F. They'll let you into law school with so much worse.


Do any apps make you disclose parking tickets? I don't think they do.

I guess it comes down to whether you view it as a parking ticket, or a non-moving violation of the law requiring you to renew your registration tags every year if you plan on driving on public roads, etc.

Either way, it's not a big deal. It won't hurt you to disclose it, and it won't hurt you not to disclose it.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 pm

I don't know what it is technically. I suppose it's not worth the trouble. I just hate disclosing anything that you're not supposed to because it looks like you don't know how to follow directions.

All bed intruder jokes FULLY appreciated.

gogogadgetlaw
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby gogogadgetlaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

.
Last edited by gogogadgetlaw on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:44 pm

gogogadgetlaw wrote:Moving violations can count against you on C&F? Should I be disclosing a careless driving ticket from an accident this year?


Definitely. That's considered a major violation for insurance purposes. It counts the same as a DUI for insurance purposes.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby tyro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Parking ticket = permanent ban not only from all schools, but you are kicked out of the States for up to 12 years.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:57 pm

Harvard's app says:

5. Have you been convicted of a misdemeanor (excluding speeding tickets)?*

..

Opie wrote:I don't know what it is technically. I suppose it's not worth the trouble. I just hate disclosing anything that you're not supposed to because it looks like you don't know how to follow directions.


...
Last edited by freestallion on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby chrisbru » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:27 pm

freestallion wrote:
So... is a traffic violation a misdemeanor?
I am pretty sure it is not, but I do have traffic tickets though they are NOT "speeding" tickets specifically.


Relevant - Description of misdemeanor traffic violations:
http://public.findlaw.com/traffic-ticke ... ckets.html

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:34 pm

.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Got a ticket TODAY! Will this affect my cycle?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:04 pm

freestallion wrote:So... is a traffic violation a misdemeanor? I am pretty sure it is not, but I do have traffic tickets though they are NOT "speeding" tickets specifically.

The sad truth about this is that it varies from place to place and from violation to violation. The same is true for speeding tickets; in some states they're considered criminal misdemeanors, while in others they're in a separate, lower municipal code violation category. (Now there's a new kind of speeding ticket, too, the "civil violation" issued via speedtrap cameras to the owner of the car regardless of who was driving.)

It really depends on the law you're charged with violating. The ticket you got sounds like a parking ticket. It's a ticket for being parked there without proper registration. But the question is, in that city, is that offense defined by the state or local criminal code, a municipal ordinance code, or something else?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sanibella and 1 guest