As long as I have at least ONE LoR from a Prof., I'm okay? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notaznguy

Bronze

As long as I have at least ONE LoR from a Prof., I'm okay?

Post by notaznguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I have a total of 3 letters of rec.

One of them is from a solo attorney I interned for during a summer 2 years ago.

Another one is from another attorney that I worked for during a 1 year experience when I was an AmeriCorps member.

The last one is from a history professor who I've taken 3 classes with and know very well.

All 3 recommenders know me well and I'm sure they have good things to say about me. But just ONE letter of rec from a Prof. should suffice right?

bport hopeful

Gold

Re: As long as I have at least ONE LoR from a Prof., I'm okay?

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:27 pm

I only had one professor LOR. Not a great cycle. But ok.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 pm

It depends on how long you've been out of school. If you're currently finishing your last year, then it's not good. But, if you've been out for at least a couple of years, then it's okay.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Ive been out for 4.5 years. I have 1 prof and 2 employers/military officers.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Kring345 wrote:Ive been out for 4.5 years. I have 1 prof and 2 employers/military officers.
Then you good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:23 pm

theadvancededit wrote:It depends on how long you've been out of school. If you're currently finishing your last year, then it's not good. But, if you've been out for at least a couple of years, then it's okay.
Gah really? I only have known 1 professor really well. Everyone else is bleh or I don't know them very well. Are the really going to deny me admission just because I don't have 2 letters of rec from a professor, but just 1 (assuming I meet the median GPA and LSAT of that school and write a decent personal statement and am not a freaking weirdo).

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 pm

You're fine. I had a 2.87 and one LoR and got into UF. My academics couldn't have been much worse.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:34 pm

notaznguy wrote: Gah really? I only have known 1 professor really well. Everyone else is bleh or I don't know them very well. Are the really going to deny me admission just because I don't have 2 letters of rec from a professor, but just 1 (assuming I meet the median GPA and LSAT of that school and write a decent personal statement and am not a freaking weirdo).

Do you know for a fact that these will be exceptional letters of rec? It's just that, looking at your timeline here, you have an LoR from a professor who knows you well (which is good), an AmeriCorps member who you've worked closely with for one year (which is also good) ... and then one from someone you interned for a summer two years ago. It just seems odd that, between two years ago and now, you haven't been able to get close to or close enough to at least one other professor at a school you're still attending.

So, consider the timeline and, most importantly, the quality of the recs you will be getting.
If you know the LoR from the solo attorney is going to be amazing then, by all means include it. If you're not guaranteed that, then maybe you think about finding another professor.

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:43 pm

theadvancededit wrote:
notaznguy wrote: Gah really? I only have known 1 professor really well. Everyone else is bleh or I don't know them very well. Are the really going to deny me admission just because I don't have 2 letters of rec from a professor, but just 1 (assuming I meet the median GPA and LSAT of that school and write a decent personal statement and am not a freaking weirdo).

Do you know for a fact that these will be exceptional letters of rec? It's just that, looking at your timeline here, you have an LoR from a professor who knows you well (which is good), an AmeriCorps member who you've worked closely with for one year (which is also good) ... and then one from someone you interned for a summer two years ago. It just seems odd that, between two years ago and now, you haven't been able to get close to or close enough to at least one other professor at a school you're still attending.

So, consider the timeline and, most importantly, the quality of the recs you will be getting.
If you know the LoR from the solo attorney is going to be amazing then, by all means include it. If you're not guaranteed that, then maybe you think about finding another professor.
Well, in my 3 years so far in UG, I've only taken the same class with the same professor once, and it was with the prof I asked the letter of rec from. I've never taken more than one class with the same professor otherwise. That is why I only asked 1 prof for a letter. Had I asked another letter, I guess it'd be weird because they've only known me for a quarter and I don't think they'd be able to evaluate me as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:18 am

notaznguy wrote: Well, in my 3 years so far in UG, I've only taken the same class with the same professor once, and it was with the prof I asked the letter of rec from. I've never taken more than one class with the same professor otherwise. That is why I only asked 1 prof for a letter. Had I asked another letter, I guess it'd be weird because they've only known me for a quarter and I don't think they'd be able to evaluate me as well.
It wouldn't be as weird as you think. But, the main question is: do you know for certain that the the LoR from the attorney would be better than a prof you had in the last couple of semesters? That's what you have to answer for yourself in order to judge whether having a LoR from only one professor is worth it.

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:23 am

theadvancededit wrote:
notaznguy wrote: Well, in my 3 years so far in UG, I've only taken the same class with the same professor once, and it was with the prof I asked the letter of rec from. I've never taken more than one class with the same professor otherwise. That is why I only asked 1 prof for a letter. Had I asked another letter, I guess it'd be weird because they've only known me for a quarter and I don't think they'd be able to evaluate me as well.
It wouldn't be as weird as you think. But, the main question is: do you know for certain that the the LoR from the attorney would be better than a prof you had in the last couple of semesters? That's what you have to answer for yourself in order to judge whether having a LoR from only one professor is worth it.
Ah I got you. Yeah I think it would be worth it. She really liked me and we talked a lot. She knows me a lot more personally than any other professor I have had. I'm sure most profs would just write me a generic letter of rec. Nothing unusual.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”