Silly Question About Application Demographic Qs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
freddie

Silly Question About Application Demographic Qs

Postby freddie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 am

Silly question: Yes
One that others might be wondering about: Perhaps

In the Demographics section of some applications, there are questions about 'Permanent City/Country/State.' These questions follow a question about permanent resident numbers. Do the 'Permanent City/Country/State' questions only apply to permanent residents, or to others, such as citizens?

Thanks in advance for clarification on this small point!

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Silly Question About Application Demographic Qs

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 pm

My interpretation is that it applies to all. It's their way of asking where you are from.

There is no special reason why they need a permanent resident's permanent city and state (trust me, I am one). If the only purpose for those questions was to establish what country foreigners are from, there would be no need to ask about "Permanent city" and "Permanent state/province" - especially as the drop-down box for the latter only lists U.S. States and Canadian Provinces.

You might think it's kind of redundant, since there is another section where you list your permanent address, but it is just as redundant for foreigners.

At any rate, my view is that - if you're not sure - it's always better to answer the question.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Oh crap. I've been leaving that blank because I thought it referred to legal permanent residents, and not US citizens. -____-

aaronbursar

Postby aaronbursar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:42 pm

has anyone definitively answered this? I'm wondering about this too

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:18 am

I think permanent resident numbers are for people who come here from other countries. For instance, my dad was born in Japan so he has a resident number.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”