Vandy Interview Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sea15

Bronze

Vandy Interview

Post by sea15 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:33 pm

So I have an interview with Vandy coming up at the admissions office. I'm also attending a class and doing a tour. I was under the impression that Vandy interviews are a bit more laid-back than Northwestern interviews and a suit would be overkill. Does anyone think just a sweater and khakis would be appropriate for a girl?

Did some searches and nothing came up specifically for interviews at the admissions office. Any input would be appreciated!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: Vandy Interview

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 pm

I have an interview at Vandy also (this Thursday) and I was wondering the same thing.

Prior to reading this, I was thinking that a suit might be overkill, mainly because we also go on a tour and observe a class. And it will apparently be in the mid 80s in Nashville at the end of this week - a half-hour tour in that weather could be difficult in a suit.

sea15

Bronze

Post by sea15 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Yes! Thinking the same thing! There is surprisingly little info on Vandy interviews on here.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:07 pm

A sweater and khakis would be a little too casual, in my opinion. At least do a skirt or black pants, blouse, and heels.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Dany wrote:A sweater and khakis would be a little too casual, in my opinion. At least do a skirt or black pants, blouse, and heels.
That sounds right to me.

I'm planning to wear dress pants and a long sleeved shirt. I probably won't bother with a tie.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:47 pm

I wore khakis and a polo.

Vandy 1L.

sea15

Bronze

Post by sea15 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I will wear black pants and a cardigan, good middle ground.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:47 pm

did my vandy interview last week and northwestern the week before... both were extremely casual (but they were off-campus). Im almost positive the formality depends on which alumni is doing the interview so there's probly no way to tell unless you straight up ask them yourself.

crabcakes

Bronze

Post by crabcakes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:05 pm

are vandy interviews pretty much standard/everyone does one? i would have to do mine over the phone which kinda sucks...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Most people don't do them but they have one of the smaller class sizes in the t20 and it's beneficial to do one.

I did one off campus last year and it was really casual. Wore a suit though and didn't feel awkward or anything.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 pm

crabcakes wrote:are vandy interviews pretty much standard/everyone does one? i would have to do mine over the phone which kinda sucks...
I had one earlier this week with an alumni and I would recommend doing one just because you will learn a lot about the school from them.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:17 pm

JDndMSW wrote:
crabcakes wrote:are vandy interviews pretty much standard/everyone does one? i would have to do mine over the phone which kinda sucks...
I had one earlier this week with an alumni and I would recommend doing one just because you will learn a lot about the school from them.
I did my interview on-campus, and it seemed much more like a serious attempt to gather information and evaluate me as a candidate than what people have said about the off-campus interviews. The interview was almost thirty minutes and the interviewer talked about Vanderbilt for no more that two or three of those. Everyone was very nice though, and the visit definitely improved my impression of Vandy.

I was especially excited to learn that the law school building contains an Au Bon Pain cafe - although apparently it sells out of food by mid-afternoon.

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:44 pm

I did mine last week and wore a black jacket, white shirt, black skirt, and (for the first time ever) black hose with closed-toe heels. I figured I would wear what I would wear to a firm interview. There was a company hiring at the time also, so I didn't look out of place at all.

For the record, my interview was with someone from admissions and he was wearing a shirt and tie. We had a lengthy discussion about me, basically. Haha.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:54 am

To be fair I did an Off Campus interview with one of their admissions officers and it was still pretty laid back. She said I was one of the more well prepared interviews she had been through and most of it was just from reading TLS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”