Delete Facebook? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theadvancededit

Bronze

Re: Delete Facebook?

Post by theadvancededit » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:46 pm

SisterRayVU wrote: Protip: You can have friends that party and get wasted who still want to tag you in FB pictures and not be bad friends. Just make yourself un-taggable. It's not hard.
Or, just detag yourself. To some, detagging 152 pictures may seem less daunting than deleting it altogether (not passing judgment either way).

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:23 pm

theadvancededit wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote: Protip: You can have friends that party and get wasted who still want to tag you in FB pictures and not be bad friends. Just make yourself un-taggable. It's not hard.
Or, just detag yourself. To some, detagging 152 pictures may seem less daunting than deleting it altogether (not passing judgment either way).
Agreed. Just think it's kind of dumb to suggest 'get better friends' and then try to argue away that that isn't a dick comment.

D1989

New

Post by D1989 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:41 pm

madvillain wrote:just deactivate...you can reactivate after apps are over...
Clearly the best idea. Not only can they not find you, but you can obviously reactivate at any time to check something out during the cycle if you want. Just remember to immediately deactivate, or else it defeats the whole point.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:02 pm

During my cycle, I just altered my name so I couldnt be searched. When I got to LS, they made a big deal about this, so I went to delete all the pictures of me drinking. Realized that I would no longer have a facebook if I did this, so I just deleted the kind of over the top pictures (of which there were more than I realized). I made my profile private and what not. In the end, drinking is a part of life, and a large part of the professional world. I personally would never hire someone who didnt drink.

My LS does a lot on facebook and I think that getting rid of it is a bad idea. Bar Review is organized on facebook, the sections each have their own page and during class people talk on it. I wouldnt get rid of it, youll want it.
rinkrat19 wrote:
Protip: eventually one grows out of the "lulz! we're like totes wasted at a bar, let's put it on facebook so everyone can see what awesome bros we are!" phase. This doesn't mean one stops going to bars.
This is just stupid.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:17 pm

The derp ITT is ridiculous

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 pm

bport hopeful wrote:My LS does a lot on facebook and I think that getting rid of it is a bad idea. Bar Review is organized on facebook, the sections each
+1, a lot happens on facebook. Just clean up your profile and max-out your privacy settings and you'll be fine.

tennisballs

New

Post by tennisballs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 pm

How would adcomms be able to see your tagged pictures anyway? If you're not friends/in same network can't they only see your default pic and interests?

I just made it so tagged pictures can't be seen on my profile. Only defaults and albums.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:47 pm

~85% of my LS class is on facebook and it is a great way to organize sports and other things. Facebook reflects who you are. If you are worried about all the "profanity, drunk pics", it's your lifestyle, not Facebook that is the problem.
Oh, and the people who say "I got rid of facebook and now have real friends", lolololololololololololololololol

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:55 pm

kwais wrote:~85% of my LS class is on facebook and it is a great way to organize sports and other things. Facebook reflects who you are. If you are worried about all the "profanity, drunk pics", it's your lifestyle, not Facebook that is the problem.
Oh, and the people who say "I got rid of facebook and now have real friends", lolololololololololololololololol
lolz to you saying that people have lifestyle problems if they drink in social scenarios.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:03 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:The derp ITT is ridiculous

IamJosh

New

Post by IamJosh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Personally, I don't see what's so difficult about the privacy settings... You can actually test-view your profile within the security page. Live your life however you want to and don't let people see things you don't want to. Easy enough. :|

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
kwais wrote:~85% of my LS class is on facebook and it is a great way to organize sports and other things. Facebook reflects who you are. If you are worried about all the "profanity, drunk pics", it's your lifestyle, not Facebook that is the problem.
lolz to you saying that people have lifestyle problems if they drink in social scenarios.
IamJosh wrote:Personally, I don't see what's so difficult about the privacy settings... You can actually test-view your profile within the security page. Live your life however you want to and don't let people see things you don't want to. Easy enough. :|[/quote

You don't have to stop drinking in social scenarios, you have to do it with people who don't record the evening on facebook or who do so appropriately. Trust me, I can party and you will never see me in any of the kinds of pictures that get people in trouble. No accident. you'll figure it out

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:22 pm

What kind of pictures are you talking about exactly?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm

IamJosh wrote:Personally, I don't see what's so difficult about the privacy settings... You can actually test-view your profile within the security page. Live your life however you want to and don't let people see things you don't want to. Easy enough. :|
LOL this. It's pretty damn easy to set it up so only you and your friends can view anything on your profile.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:59 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
That's not at all what s/he said.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
That's not at all what s/he said.
You right.

Redzo

Bronze

Post by Redzo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:17 pm

1. Lawyer up
2. Delete Facebook
3. Hit the gym!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Don't be one of those paranoid jerkoffs who thinks they need to delete Facebook because of apps, a job interview, etc. Just use good judgment about what you choose to post on the internet.

Also, you can choose what the public can see on your FB account. It's not that difficult.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Just put the bowls away and dont blow coke on camera. I really dont see anything wrong with drinking openly.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:47 pm

Jesus Christ. Can you spot the differences?

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

I don't know why this is still a discussion.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:53 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Jesus Christ. Can you spot the differences?

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

I don't know why this is still a discussion.
Looks like the group members in pic # 1 are a bunch of stuck up prudes. The girl in pic # 2 is someone I'd definitely love to work with.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Stanford4Me wrote: Looks like the group members in pic # 1 are a bunch of stuck up prudes. The girl in pic # 2 is someone I'd definitely love to work with.
I actually feel this way. I really dont see a problem. I mean, err on the side of safety, but drinking is whatever. Then again, ill prolly never hire anyone.. so who cares what i think.

But I do know that I would rather be around people who are more social, and drinking is social.

Also, id rather work around someone who is attractive. That being said, the biggest difference between those pictures, is I wouldnt get with the girls in picture 1.

disco_stu

New

Post by disco_stu » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Didn't read the thread thoroughly. :oops:
Last edited by disco_stu on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Stanford4Me wrote: Looks like the group members in pic # 1 are a bunch of stuck up prudes. The girl in pic # 2 is someone I'd definitely love to work with.
TITCR.

In any case, if you're THAT worried, delete.

I, however, have fun with the best of them, and still got into every school I was qualified to based on relevant information. I doubt adcomms care enough to stalk your Facebook to find out if your party skills are appropriate or outlandish.

I, for one, wouldn't want to work somewhere/go to school somewhere that would ding me because there is a picture of me holding a beer at a tailgate. However, I don't have pictures of me passed out in a snowbank or blowing into a breathalyzer at a bar that reads .25.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:13 pm

disco_stu wrote:
IamJosh wrote:Personally, I don't see what's so difficult about the privacy settings... You can actually test-view your profile within the security page. Live your life however you want to and don't let people see things you don't want to. Easy enough. :|
You can still get screwed over when only your picture and name are available for others to see. I witnessed a case where a drunk girl was beat up at a bar, went home, checked Facebook and "identified" the defendant through a third party's friend list. Didn't know the defendant's name until she checked Facebook. The photo she used to identify the defendant had multiple people in it. The police and DDA believed her. When it came time for her to take the witness stand and identify the defendant in court, she "accidentally" identified someone in the gallery who also happened to be at the bar that night.

This isn't going to make me delete my Facebook profile - but shit happens and the privacy settings can't keep you completely safe.
Ill remember this the next time I go to punch a bitch at the bar... and put my hood up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”