Delete Facebook?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Massimiliano

Delete Facebook?

Postby Massimiliano » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:50 am

I'm about ready to apply to law school and am wondering if it would be a good idea to delete my facebook account. There's nothing too outlandish on there, but plenty of profanity and drinking related stuff. I've tried to use the privacy settings but I'm not sure how much of the facebook content is visible to the public. Thoughts?

descartesb4thehorse

Re: Delete Facebook?

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 am

Rule #1 about facebook: if you think, even for a split-second, that you're not working the privacy controls correctly, delete it. And it's probably best that you actually delete it, with the verification email and all. Otherwise you're just the douche who never checks his facebook.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:57 am

Facebook is a huge part of the social scene at my school. You can get by fine without it, of course, but I'd just go through and clean stuff up on your profile. How else will you stalk your new classmates?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:58 am

Deleted mine last year. Best. Idea. Evar.

sangr

Postby sangr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 am

if u just limit ur view info to your friends, then ppl who arent your friends cant see anything

Massimiliano

Postby Massimiliano » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 am

DCDuck wrote:Facebook is a huge part of the social scene at my school. You can get by fine without it, of course, but I'd just go through and clean stuff up on your profile. How else will you stalk your new classmates?

So if I delete stuff is it gone for good or can the stalkers still drudge up pics of me pounding jager bombs?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Deleted mine last year three years ago. Best. Idea. Evar.

And somehow I still have friends (the real kind)... and don't have strangers (that friended me sometime in the distant past that I barely remember) stalking my life.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:55 am

Why don't you just delete the photos of you doing retarded things? (A better plan would have been to never post them in the first place, but that ship has apparently sailed.)

It's perfectly possible to drink and party without it ending up on the internet for posterity. You just have to not be a moron.

KingMenes

Postby KingMenes » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:59 am

Facebook is just a tool for tracking, stalking, selling information, and screening potential employees.

Delete.

I think the smaller your internet footprint the better.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:02 pm

KingMenes wrote:Facebook is just a tool for tracking, stalking, selling information, and screening potential employees.

Delete.

I think the smaller your internet footprint the better.

Or be a grownup and handle your shit.

Massimiliano

Postby Massimiliano » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Why don't you just delete the photos of you doing retarded things? (A better plan would have been to never post them in the first place, but that ship has apparently sailed.)

It's perfectly possible to drink and party without it ending up on the internet for posterity. You just have to not be a moron.

The problem is getting tagged in pictures because people bring their camera out to bars or parties. I have made these pics unavailable to see on my profile but they still exist in the albums people make.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Massimiliano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Why don't you just delete the photos of you doing retarded things? (A better plan would have been to never post them in the first place, but that ship has apparently sailed.)

The problem is getting tagged in pictures because people bring their camera out to bars or parties. I have made these pics unavailable to see on my profile but they still exist in the albums people make.
If your friends won't refrain from tagging you, you can set your permissions to not allow others to tag you. You can also untag yourself from any photos.

Or you can make new friends who aren't also idiots.

This is not that difficult.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:13 pm

Or don't put your full name on your facebook and make your page accessible only to friend's only. If anyone tags you, it's not going to be your full name anyway. ezgame

Massimiliano

Postby Massimiliano » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Massimiliano wrote:

If your friends won't refrain from tagging you, you can set your permissions to not allow others to tag you. You can also untag yourself from any photos.

You're a judgmental dick.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Massimiliano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Massimiliano wrote:

Perhaps, but there are also no potentially damaging pictures of me on facebook. So I'm also right. 8)

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Massimiliano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Massimiliano wrote:

And you are all overreacting to how big of a deal facebook is. As another poster mentioned, FB is a big part of the social scene in at least some law schools. You will be missing out on some opportunities and communication by taking the drastic action of deleting when it's very easy to manage it in a way to solve all of the potential concerns.

Massimiliano

Postby Massimiliano » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 pm

You're a judgmental dick.[/quote]Perhaps, but there are also no potentially damaging pictures of me on facebook. So I'm also right. 8)[/quote]

Congratulations. Your life sounds really fun.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Massimiliano wrote:

You are aware those pictures will be there whether you have a facebook or not?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Massimiliano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Massimiliano wrote:You're a judgmental dick.
Perhaps, but there are also no potentially damaging pictures of me on facebook. So I'm also right. 8)

And you sound very young.

Protip: eventually one grows out of the "lulz! we're like totes wasted at a bar, let's put it on facebook so everyone can see what awesome bros we are!" phase. This doesn't mean one stops going to bars.

madvillain

Postby madvillain » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm

just deactivate...you can reactivate after apps are over...

Massimiliano

Postby Massimiliano » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Massimiliano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Protip: eventually one grows out of the "lulz! we're like totes wasted at a bar, let's put it on facebook so everyone can see what awesome bros we are!" phase. This doesn't mean one stops going to bars.

Your assumptions about how people party are weird.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Just make yourself unsearchable. And adcomms have like hundreds and hundreds of apps. They are going to spend as little time on your application as possible. I don't think they really care.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:57 pm

If you end up deleting your facebook, don't be one of those douches who thinks they're real cool because they don't have a facebook.

If you're unable to handle your internet presence and ensure that your facebook is professionally acceptable then..........

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Make yourself unsearchable, all photos private, and even remove your wall (!!) if you have to. Or just delete it until the cycle is over.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Massimiliano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Protip: You can have friends that party and get wasted who still want to tag you in FB pictures and not be bad friends. Just make yourself un-taggable. It's not hard.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”