Mentioning girlfriend in Why X

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ringo

Mentioning girlfriend in Why X

Postby ringo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:04 pm

I know people talk about their spouses and kids in discussing why the location of a school would be a good fit for them as a family. Does mentioning that "my girlfriend lives in the area" make the same point, or does "girlfriend" have a certain connotation? Immature or something?
I'm a few years out of school, we've been together six years, we live together, etc. (though I wouldn't mention any of that). Just wondering whether I can't use this as a legitimate point until I put a ring on it. Thanks.

Curious1

Re: Mentioning girlfriend in Why X

Postby Curious1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:44 pm

No. Do not do this. At best mention "family ties" or something general to that effect.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:13 am

Curious1 wrote:No. Do not do this. At best mention "family ties" or something general to that effect.

+1

Part of the issue might be that it sounds immature, but I think the bigger problem is that - until you put a ring on it - girlfriends are seen as temporary. If you break up before law school starts, you might no longer want to move to X, and if you break up after moving you might not want to stay - if that's a big part of the reason why you moved there.

Also, wanting to attend a certain law school because of a girlfriend might be taken to indicate something negative about your decision making - if they think you are making an important, life-changing decision on the basis of something temporary or not significant enough.

You could mention that your 'partner' has strong family ties to X area, or something like that, although they might then assume that you are gay (which is perhaps a little deceptive).

ringo

Postby ringo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:28 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:If you break up before law school starts, you might no longer want to move to X, and if you break up after moving you might not want to stay - if that's a big part of the reason why you moved there.

Good point. Would not want it backfiring like that. I removed it from my statement. Thanks for the responses.

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:42 am

My wife and I both put stuff in our statements of purpose and why x essays, but she's my wife, so maybe it's different.

igo2northwestern

Postby igo2northwestern » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:50 am

Lots of speculation going on here, so I'll throw in a vote for mentioning her in your Why X:

My SO (student @ the law school) spoke with the Dean of Students at UPenn, who encouraged me to include information about our (serious) relationship in my Why statement. His words were: "I don't see why you wouldn't."

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:53 am

sach1282 wrote:My wife and I both put stuff in our statements of purpose and why x essays, but she's my wife, so maybe it's different.

I think it is different. I wouldn't put gf but I would be okay with putting wife and probably with putting fiancee as well. While I feel like the best you can get is "significant other" (it sounds better than gf/bf) I think that someone reading that will feel like you're just trying to avoid gf/bf.

It might not be fair if your committed relationship is serious (especially if it is more serious and stable than many engagements) but them's the breaks. Is it going to tank your PS if you do do it? Probably not but I would say that there is enough of a chance that you should avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

igo2northwestern

Postby igo2northwestern » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:58 am

bk1 wrote:
sach1282 wrote:My wife and I both put stuff in our statements of purpose and why x essays, but she's my wife, so maybe it's different.

I think it is different. I wouldn't put gf but I would be okay with putting wife and probably with putting fiancee as well. While I feel like the best you can get is "significant other" (it sounds better than gf/bf) I think that someone reading that will feel like you're just trying to avoid gf/bf.

It might not be fair if your committed relationship is serious (especially if it is more serious and stable than many engagements) but them's the breaks. Is it going to tank your PS if you do do it? Probably not but I would say that there is enough of a chance that you should avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

You done with your memo? Cuz I'm not....fkkkkk

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:00 am

igo2northwestern wrote:You done with your memo? Cuz I'm not....fkkkkk

17 hours. Motivation has not kicked in yet.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:02 pm

If you mention it, say partner of 6 years. You've been with her more than some people who are married have been. I don't think you'd get judged negatively for that and I don't think it's deceptive. A lot of people refer to their heterosexual SO as a partner especially because it carries more weight than gf/bf.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:If you mention it, say partner of 6 years. You've been with her more than some people who are married have been. I don't think you'd get judged negatively for that and I don't think it's deceptive. A lot of people refer to their heterosexual SO as a partner especially because it carries more weight than gf/bf.

+1

There's nothing wrong with mentioning her, but "girlfriend" can have the same connotation as "ladyfriend" if not explained properly.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 am

Many of the law school application forms that are out do not include a place to submit a Why X essay, e.g., GULC. Where do you submit it then? I found a few schools that have an open supplemental prompt that I can use, but not all schools.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:24 am

WTF, of course you mention your GF.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:03 am

The real question to me is why you are not already engaged? How can you be with someone for that long and still not know? Are you very young or something?

Cavgirl

Postby Cavgirl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 am

Danteshek wrote:The real question to me is why you are not already engaged? How can you be with someone for that long and still not know? Are you very young or something?

Very young or very smart.

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:24 am

I don't think it's fair to assume that most (succesful) couples get married. There are couples who stay together for life and never get engaged/married because they do not believe in the institution.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:48 am

PurplePirate wrote:I don't think it's fair to assume that most (succesful) couples get married. There are couples who stay together for life and never get engaged/married because they do not believe in the institution.

So you think it's reasonable to conjecture that most successful couples do not get married because some (very small number of) people don't believe in the institution of marriage? Interesting. Not saying married people don't break up, but really?

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:50 am

KMaine wrote:
PurplePirate wrote:I don't think it's fair to assume that most (succesful) couples get married. There are couples who stay together for life and never get engaged/married because they do not believe in the institution.

So you think it's reasonable to conjecture that most successful couples do not get married because some (very small number of) people don't believe in the institution of marriage? Interesting. Not saying married people don't break up, but really?

You completely missed my point...

chem

Postby chem » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 am

jim-green wrote:Many of the law school application forms that are out do not include a place to submit a Why X essay, e.g., GULC. Where do you submit it then? I found a few schools that have an open supplemental prompt that I can use, but not all schools.

Append to personal statement on new page, label appropriately

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:54 am

I didn't do this for admission or why x, but when negotiating scholarship I talked about how my "S.O." had a job offer in the area and that was a big factor, etc. etc. It seemed to work fine. Also, doesn't make you sound gay if you're not (although works for that too).

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:33 am

chem wrote:
jim-green wrote:Many of the law school application forms that are out do not include a place to submit a Why X essay, e.g., GULC. Where do you submit it then? I found a few schools that have an open supplemental prompt that I can use, but not all schools.
I don't mean to be disagreeable, just questioning this. Some schools say they have a 2 pg limit on the PS. I don't think it is following the rules to then send in a 3 pg (PS + Why X)

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:52 am

duckmoney wrote:I didn't do this for admission or why x, but when negotiating scholarship I talked about how my "S.O." had a job offer in the area and that was a big factor, etc. etc. It seemed to work fine. Also, doesn't make you sound gay if you're not (although works for that too).

If someone were concerned about conveying the wrong sexual orientation, they could always say "My partner of X years has deep ties in the area and s/he would welcome a chance to return to Y city."

chem

Postby chem » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:17 pm

jim-green wrote:
chem wrote:
I don't mean to be disagreeable, just questioning this. Some schools say they have a 2 pg limit on the PS. I don't think it is following the rules to then send in a 3 pg (PS + Why X)

All in here

http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing- ... endum.html

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks so much!

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:48 am

I vote for "significant other"...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”