W on transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Miami781
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

W on transcript

Postby Miami781 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:09 pm

When you receive a W on your transcript, not a WF, just a W, does it factor into your LSAC GPA as a F or is it simply not regarded as anything other than a class you dropped.

In terms of schools I now plan to apply within my home state so would the following schools care:

Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern
Quinnipiac
Suffolk

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby shoeshine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:13 pm

W-Failing or W-Passing?

W-Failing (sometimes a Y) is basically counted as an F.

W-Passing isn't counted at all but having a ton can look suspicious. One will not matter.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: W on transcript

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:17 pm

If it's non-punitive then you're fine.

Miami781
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby Miami781 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:17 pm

My school just gives W's , I only have one, and at the time I had a C- so I wasn't failing, I was just in a class not pertaining to my major so decided to drop it and take the W instead of working all semester for a C

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby shoeshine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Miami781 wrote:My school just gives W's , I only have one, and at the time I had a C- so I wasn't failing, I was just in a class not pertaining to my major so decided to drop it and take the W instead of working all semester for a C

Go physically look at your transcript. Almost all schools have a distinction between a passing and failing withdrawal.

I have seen:
"W" = Withdrawal Passing "w" = Withdrawal Failing
"W" = Withdrawal Passing "Y" = Withdrawal Failing
"W+" = Withdrawal Passing "W-"= Withdrawal Failing

Usually there is a legend at the bottom of the unofficial or official transcript that explains.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:25 pm

My school does the same way, I'm having the registar include a note saying how the school is odd in not wp or wf and that W's are non-punitive (which is the correct statement) to avoid confusion

Miami781
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby Miami781 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm

It actually isnt even on my transcript because I transferred undergrads , so my current school obviously did not transfer the W in.

Will Law Schools even see this then?
If I have a 3.5 and a 165 LSAT are they going to care that my soph. year I got a W.

I transferred schools and went from accounting to political science major too they might consider that in why I got the W

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby shoeshine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Miami781 wrote:It actually isnt even on my transcript because I transferred undergrads , so my current school obviously did not transfer the W in.

Will Law Schools even see this then?
If I have a 3.5 and a 165 LSAT are they going to care that my soph. year I got a W.

I transferred schools and went from accounting to political science major too they might consider that in why I got the W

You have to send the transcripts from the prior school to LSAC as well. You have to send them from everywhere you attended in undergrad even if you didn't earn a degree from that place.

Miami781
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby Miami781 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:35 pm

So they will see a plain W from my previous institution then. Question being is this relevant? Will they care at all? Will it be factored into my GPA?

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby shoeshine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Miami781 wrote:So they will see a plain W from my previous institution then. Question being is this relevant? Will they care at all? Will it be factored into my GPA?

shoeshine wrote:W-Failing or W-Passing?

W-Failing (sometimes a Y) is basically counted as an F.

W-Passing isn't counted at all but having a ton can look suspicious. One will not matter.

Miami781
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby Miami781 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks! Under a lot of stress (like everyone) to get into law school and become successful, just wanted to clarify my regrettable "w".

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:48 pm

No one will care. I had something like 4-6 Ws and it wasn't an issue. If it's a plain W, it's probably not punitive.

Miami781
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: W on transcript

Postby Miami781 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests