Oxford law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legaleagle9

Oxford law?

Postby legaleagle9 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Just curious: Does anyone know the process, requirements, etc of gaining admission to Oxford Law ? Thanks!

Veyron

Re: Oxford law?

Postby Veyron » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:13 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:Just curious: Does anyone know the process, requirements, etc of gaining admission to Oxford Law ? Thanks!

At Oxford, law is an undergraduate degree. You apply directly to the house you want to read the law in (unless you want to do their special graduate program for foreigners)

rkem

Postby rkem » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:22 pm

For Oxford, its sort of a similar process. I applied coming out of high school because you don't need an undergrad like in North America, you can practice law after four years in the UK. You have to write the LNAT, which is similar to the LSAT in the way you train yourself to think, but no logical reasoning/logic games sections. Its more like a bunch of reading comprehension. You get a score out of 30 or something... it was a around five years ago that I took this so my memory is hazy. Also, you have to do an interview. In North America it takes place in Vancouver and New York I believe. I got super lucky that I'm from Van.

You apply online through a system called UCAS. You can apply to all other UK schools through the system too. Only thing with Oxford is that you can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge in the same year. Talk about school rivalry.

Hope that helps!

legaleagle9

Postby legaleagle9 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:37 pm

rkem wrote:For Oxford, its sort of a similar process. I applied coming out of high school because you don't need an undergrad like in North America, you can practice law after four years in the UK. You have to write the LNAT, which is similar to the LSAT in the way you train yourself to think, but no logical reasoning/logic games sections. Its more like a bunch of reading comprehension. You get a score out of 30 or something... it was a around five years ago that I took this so my memory is hazy. Also, you have to do an interview. In North America it takes place in Vancouver and New York I believe. I got super lucky that I'm from Van.

You apply online through a system called UCAS. You can apply to all other UK schools through the system too. Only thing with Oxford is that you can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge in the same year. Talk about school rivalry.

Hope that helps!

thank you! Very informative. Even though you dont need an undergrad like North American Law Schools, when applying to Oxford Law, do you base your admissions based on US undergrad? And also, do you know what kind of grades you would need to get to be excepted to Oxford Law coming from the US?

Sorry about all these questions!

rkem

Postby rkem » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:07 pm

I applied coming out of high school, but I know this answer because I had a couple of friends apply this year. They actually want high school marks and any marks from postsecondary institutions. I had straight As coming out of high school, did average on the LNAT, but I think what did me in was the interview. Such a disaster.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 pm

If you are in UG right now, the program that Veyron mentioned (it's a program for "senior students" meaning those who have already graduated from an UG) might be better for you; it's shorter.

They consider your UG grades if you have completed at least one year in addition to your HS grades so if you did poorly in HS, might as well stick to the senior program which will only look at your four years at college. UK schools place more emphasis on your grades--it's not as holistic as american university systems where they look at your ECs etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”