To go forth with the October LSAT or not? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rkem

New

To go forth with the October LSAT or not?

Post by rkem » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:37 am

Okay so here is my predicament: I took the LSAT last October and did not put that much effort into studying, thus I got a 153. I've been studying pretty intensely for the past couple months preparing for the October 2011 exam and have been scoring on practice tests in the range of 159-161. I know I need at least a 160 for the Canadian Law schools I want to apply to. However, in the past couple of tests I have taken, I have scored back at the 153 level. I don't know if it is nerves or stress, but it is scaring me that I am not being consistent and falling back into old habits.

I have registered for the December exam and am wondering if I should just withdraw from the October sitting in risk of having another poor LSAT mark on my record. I guess my questions are: Does having three LSAT scores hurt my chances? If I don't write the October LSAT, will it affect of chances of being accepted?

I know with more time I could become more consistent, or more confident, because right now I'm terrified of having a big screw up. On the other hand, should I just sit it and give it my best shot?...and maybe never have to do this again.

Sorry for the rambling! Any advice would be great!

instantwonton

New

Re: To go forth with the October LSAT or not?

Post by instantwonton » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:52 pm

If I were you, I would probably not take the October sitting. If you need a 160 and the highest you've scored is a 161, it's unlikely that you'll score that high on actual test day- especially if you have been scoring lower lately and you're already signed up for the December sitting. It might even be worth it for you to take an LSAT class or something to help boost your score. You really want to try to get your average score at least to a 162. As they say, your test score will usually float within 2 point of your average score on test day.

rkem

New

Post by rkem » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I know, I'm almost certain that I won't now. No one really understands unless they have been in this position before. Most of friends/family say "just write it," but if you don't see the results in your practice tests, it just isn't worth it. I'm all for the December exam, except for the tiny problem of rolling admissions. Do you think I am really missing out by that month and a half difference it will take for schools to get my full application? I don't feel like I'm that candidate that they would be like "100 percent yes we want you," so I feel like I'd get a later offer anyways. The possibility is still weighing on my mind though....

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Why not take the Oct. one and if you do poorly retake it in Dec? Does the school you want average the scores (sorry I don't know anything about Canadian schools)

rkem

New

Post by rkem » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:38 pm

No most don't... I think all the schools I am applying to take the highest. I'm just concerned that three LSAT scores looks bad or something?... does it?

I've taken the LSAT before so I can't justify doing it for the "experience." I feel like I need that confidence when I walk in and sit down, and I just don't have that yet. But then again... leaving it to December means I only have one shot for this cycle. Guess I'm still torn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:41 pm

rkem wrote:No most don't... I think all the schools I am applying to take the highest. I'm just concerned that three LSAT scores looks bad or something?... does it?

I've taken the LSAT before so I can't justify doing it for the "experience." I feel like I need that confidence when I walk in and sit down, and I just don't have that yet. But then again... leaving it to December means I only have one shot for this cycle. Guess I'm still torn.
It didn't hurt me. If Canadian schools are whore numbers like the American ones it probably won't matter. Again, I don't know how Canadian schools work though so take my "advise" with a grain of salt

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:43 pm

If I were you, I would postpone until December. Like other posters have said, if you need a 160 and the highest you've gotten is 161, it's unlikely that you're going to end up with a score you're happy with. If you search on this board, you'll see that there are tons of people here who have scored way higher in practice than they score on the actual exam. That's not to say that it's impossible to outscore your PT average on test day, but it's not common. Especially when you say that you've been scoring around 153 lately. You are probably not going to go up 7+ points in the next week.

Even if you're dead set on applying this cycle, taking the Dec LSAT and applying in Jan with a higher score (over 160) would be way better than applying in Oct/Nov with a score between 153 and 160. Plus, if you go through with the October LSAT, do you really think it's realistic for you to continue preparing for December while you're waiting on your score? Because if it isn't, you might be in a situation where October doesn't go well (because you aren't quite prepared to get the score you're shooting for), and as a result of taking a break from your studying, you don't have enough time to make a significant improvement by December. This happened to me last year and I had to sit out the application cycle as a result.

Sit this test out, assess your weaknesses, and work as hard as you can to improve for December. I think that's your best option ATM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”