Graduating college in 3.5 years? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
albatross92

New

Graduating college in 3.5 years?

Post by albatross92 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm a sophomore in college, and am double majoring in history and political science with a 4.0 GPA. Due to a lot of advanced credit from high school, I am able to graduate in 3 years. However, I wasn't comfortable leaving in 3 years, because that would mean I would have to cut my LSAT studying time by an additional year, and also keep up with a higher course load; so, I added a philosophy minor. However, when planning all my requirements, I discovered that at best a philosophy minor could keep me in college for 3.5 years, contending with a very reasonable course load. What more, in this time, I also have planned a semester studying abroad, membership in my college's Honors Program, as well as three to four internships. All this being said, I have multiple questions:
a) Will graduating in 3.5 years have a negative impact in the law school admissions process?
b) Do you believe it is a wise choice to graduate with a double major and minor in 3.5 years?
c) If so, what options would you suggest I pursue in this semester off (i.e. internships, work, traveling)?
If any of you would be willing to share your opinions, I would be incredibly grateful.

Thanks!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: Graduating college in 3.5 years?

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Get a 170+. Enjoy T6

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Won't matter at all. Double major is neither wise nor unwise. Just do whatever it takes to maintain the highest GPA.

Doesn't really matter what you do in your semester off. Do whatever you want. Might as well make some money.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 pm

I graduated a quarter early and just used the last quarter to get in more hours at my (retail) part-time job and save some $$. If you can get an internship or relevant job that would be great, but I don't think it'll help or hurt you either way.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:19 pm

I graduated in three years. It was no big deal for admissions.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:33 pm

If you get a good LSAT score (172+) and wind up getting denied at HYS, you might want to work for 1-2 years. It is the new "norm" at top schools to have 1+ year of work experience (meaning that 50%+ have it). You still have a good shot, but your age and lack of experience may be a slight negative relative to the general applicant pool for those schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”