Why do ppl think I exaggerate when I tell them about law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notaznguy

Why do ppl think I exaggerate when I tell them about law?

Postby notaznguy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:33 pm

The other day I got into another argument with some of my family members because I was talking to them about law school. I was initially going to take the test in October, but decided to postpone til February because I wasn't ready yet. I also told them that if something bizarre happened on the Feb test and I bombed it, I would retake in June or even next October. I told my parents that I would not go to law school unless I got at least a 163, and that that was just the bare minimum. I told them realistically I was aiming for a high 160 to 170s and that that was what I really wanted if I wanted to go to law school. At the moment, I am scoring in the high 150s/very low 160s. I started off with a 138 so I've made lots of improvement after studying for 3 months, but I just need more time.

The minute I told them I was postponing they got upset at me and kept asking why I wouldn't just go to a lower school and just settle instead of wasting more time. For like the 10000000th time, I explained to them how law school is different from medical or pharm school where for law school, it DOES matter where you go to school. I also told them that not all law schools are created equal, but they still charge $40k a year for tuition. I also told them of the bleak employment prospects and low bar rate pass percentages of schools like La Verne College of the Law.

They thought I was exaggerating and they used anecdotes like, "I know someone who knows someone who is married to someone who worked with someone who went to a no name law school and they are doing just fine." Then even though I told them law was different than pharm school, they decide to use my cousin as an example, who went to a no name pharmacy school and ended up with a great job. In the end, we ended up just yelling at each other and now my parents think I'm full of sh*t and that the reason I'm postponing my LSAT is because I'm just trying to mooch off them and not get a job.

What the f*ck?

Opie

Re: Why do ppl think I exaggerate when I tell them about law?

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:48 pm

Show them http://www.lawschooltransparency.com
If they still don't believe you, they may never. Either way I would get a decent job and move out. The WE will be good for your app either way.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Cool

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Yeah, parents just don't understand. Seriously though, my mom was unreasonably angry about the thought of me retaking and waiting a cycle (I wouldn't even be living with her, I was working overseas). She thought the longer you wait, the less likely you'll go through with it. It can be frustrating, but don't give in to the pressure (full disclosure: I gave in to the pressure). Or if they really don't understand, pretend you're taking in Oct. or Dec. or whatever, but then claim you got thrown out of the test of you accidentally skipped a section or something like that so that there's no choice but to retake.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Cool

Story

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:08 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Story

Poe

(am I doing it right?)

wallawhite1987

Postby wallawhite1987 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Parents and the public in general just don't understand. They immediately dismiss you by saying something like, "law is such a broad and versatile field." I agree completely with you. They always think you're exaggerating, because the myth of lawyers' success perpetuated in the media.

The public:
Go to any law school
Graduate anywhere in class
Marry supermodel
Drive Benz
Sip brandy at the most pretentious country club around

Edit: I've learned to just keep my mouth shut. People for some reason will think they're right despite the fact that you have invested excessive amount of time on researching the subject.
Last edited by wallawhite1987 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:14 pm

wallawhite1987 wrote:Parents and the public in general just don't understand. They immediately dismiss you by saying something like, "law is such a broad and versatile field." I agree completely with you. They always think you're exaggerating, because the myth of lawyers' success perpetuated in the media.

The public:
Go to any law school
Marry supermodel
Drive Benz

Spot on.

BTW, ever since Suits started (I don't want the show), a lot of my friends keep asking me, "Are you going to be like the lawyer on Suits? [No] Why not?" And then they also make comments like, "I just watched Suits. Man, good luck being a lawyer. I can tell it's going to be a lot of work, but it'll be worth it."

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 pm

They are probably more upset that you are taking another year before going to law school than your actual choice to study more. One more year means there is a bigger chance you might decide to not go at all. Plus, if they are currently helping you out financially maybe they are tired of that.

wallawhite1987

Postby wallawhite1987 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 pm

shoeshine wrote:They are probably more upset that you are taking another year before going to law school than your actual choice to study more. One more year means there is a bigger chance you might decide to not go at all. Plus, if they are currently helping you out financially maybe they are tired of that.

This is the point, though. Parents always think NO JD <<<<<<<<<<<< JD. In other words, Cooley bottom half of class>>>>>>>>>>> No JD

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:52 pm

I went through the same thing when I told my mom I played cards to make some money on the side. If you're smart, you can show them the facts. Print out the stats. Show that certain schools report these high earning grads but they're reporting 15% of grads total. Show them that if you're looking to pay to go to school, you NEED a job that can justify it, and only a handful of schools can give this to you even for big regional schools. Show them LawSchoolNumbers and how there really is a discernible GPA/LSAT cutoff at some schools. And show them the ones that are 'easy' and then LSTransparency and how the pay is.

Honestly, print it all out. Have a prepared, intelligent discussion. Don't get mad at them. If you show you've actually thought this out, they'll be open to it. But understand they don't want their kid to put off grad school over and over when in their mind, you can be in school now and graduate with a job.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Hold on now...are they willing to PAY for a lower ranked school?

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:55 am

I kind of dealt with this situation too. I referred parental to a topic about my situation on TLS. Tell them to look over the boards here. There is a lot of eye opening information.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:13 am

wallawhite1987 wrote:Parents and the public in general just don't understand. They immediately dismiss you by saying something like, "law is such a broad and versatile field." I agree completely with you. They always think you're exaggerating, because the myth of lawyers' success perpetuated in the media.

The public:
Go to any law school
Marry supermodel
Drive Benz

Edit: I've learned to just keep my mouth shut. People for some reason will think they're right despite the fact that you have invested excessive amount of time on researching the subject.

Attaboy. I had it worse though, since one of my uncles is a successful real estate attorney who graduated at the top of a TTT, so my parents used him as an easy example of my prospects from that school (of course, they didn't seem to understand that being in the top 1% was an important qualifier for him). Also, random story: that same uncle told me once way back in high school (when I was a junior or senior, and was pretty sure by then that I was going into law) that he didn't think I had the personality / social skills required of a lawyer (pretty much telling me I was too awkward to be a lawyer, which was itself pretty damn awkward, since he was saying this in front of my family).

snailio

Postby snailio » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:15 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Story

Poe

(am I doing it right?)

seph

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:18 am

notaznguy wrote:
What the f*ck?

It's the internet. You can say fuck. hth.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:29 am

Flips88 wrote:
notaznguy wrote:
What the f*ck?

It's the internet. You can say fuck. hth.

I thought TLS might've censored it or something? Oh well. I mean fuck. There.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:32 am

notaznguy wrote:now my parents think I'm full of sh*t and that the reason I'm postponing my LSAT is because I'm just trying to mooch off them and not get a job.

Just show them this:

--LinkRemoved--

Lower-tier school = still mooching.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:40 am

I have to deal with the same thing. Everyone I talk to thinks that simply going to any law school means a great living. I've began realizing that they base this off of people they know who went to law school 30-40 years ago. They don't realize how much the field has change since the 70's and 80's.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”