Resume Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
coldshoulder

Resume Question

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:14 am

I graduated in 3 years and have some significant accomplishments from my teenage/high school years to put on my resume. Should I include these, or leave out everything from high school? How much should one remark on high school accomplishments?

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Resume Question

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:20 am

Leave out everything from high school.

dani_burhop

Postby dani_burhop » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 am

It's rare when high school years yield reasonable CV accomplishments, though it does happen. What sort of activities are you talking about? Best, Dani

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:57 am

High School accomplishments are usually irrelevant. What does significant mean? If you won a national writing award, I'd consider putting that I suppose, but Valedictorian or something is really irrelevant. We were all Valedictorians.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 pm

MumofCad wrote:High School accomplishments are usually irrelevant. What does significant mean? If you won a national writing award, I'd consider putting that I suppose, but Valedictorian or something is really irrelevant. We were all Valedictorians.

Hmmm...

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
MumofCad wrote:High School accomplishments are usually irrelevant. What does significant mean? If you won a national writing award, I'd consider putting that I suppose, but Valedictorian or something is really irrelevant. We were all Valedictorians.

Hmmm...

Haha, yeah, I don't know about that last one. If I slacked off in college (as evidenced by my splitter status), what makes you think I didn't do the same thing in high school?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Samara wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Hmmm...

Haha, yeah, I don't know about that last one. If I slacked off in college (as evidenced by my splitter status), what makes you think I didn't do the same thing in high school?

I don't mean literally, I just mean its not what I would consider worthy of putting on an law school application (depending of course on where you are applying too). It just doesn't say much and they don't care frankly because the competition is so low. Yeah, you don't need to own up to slacking in high school but admitting you were always an over-achiever isn't going to help you IMO. The competition and standards are just so low in high school generally, there will be tons of valedictorians at the top school. If you're desperate to fill a page you could throw it on, but I don't think its getting you anywhere but not looking totally without accolades/experience.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Blatant thread jacking in process:

I completely agree with the prohibition on HS stuff in a resume--at resume is at least one third about proving you are professional enough to put together a proper resume.... BUT I also hate this prohibition... its outright silly.

Leading in theatrical performances is a big deal.
Running school publications that win awards is a big deal.
Winning state and national forensic tournaments is a big deal.
Being on a state champion varsity sports team is a big deal.

Does anyone actually dispute the previous four statements?

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:53 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Blatant thread jacking in process:

I completely agree with the prohibition on HS stuff in a resume--at resume is at least one third about proving you are professional enough to put together a proper resume.... BUT I also hate this prohibition... its outright silly.

...no.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:58 pm

I don't know about the leading in theatrical performances one. Maybe if you went to a large high school that people might know.

I would say if you are applying to schools near you that may have familiarity with your HS you could put some of these types of things.

Writing awards at the national level are always a big deal for law apps IMO.

And about us all being valedictorians?? I graduated in the BOTTOM 15% of my class.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:01 pm

No, but life is about continuing success in progressively bigger, more competitive pools. Its not about a drop in the bucket at one point in life and then you just hang out and rest on previous laurels. I think that's the point of the restrictions. If you are that accomplished in high school, there is little reason to become a dud in college unless you couldn't handle yourself in a tougher pool, where you were perhaps one of many special snowflakes....like you will be in law school.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Valedictorian? LOL....Yeah I was like a 3.2 at best in high school, at a place where seemingly everyone was doing the gunning-for-Berkeley-or-Stanford thing. Pretty sure I also led the league in 4th period cuts as a senior too.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 pm

I do. I've done one of those things and I would never put it on my resume. (I'm also 3.5 years out of UG, so take that FWIW.) The competition level for these things is simply not the same as their collegiate corollaries. I did school newspaper at my UG. My UG's paper was nothing special, but it was light years ahead of what it took to do the newspaper in HS. Simply a different level of skill, work and (most importantly) responsibility.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Samara wrote:I do. I've done one of those things and I would never put it on my resume. (I'm also 3.5 years out of UG, so take that FWIW.) The competition level for these things is simply not the same as their collegiate corollaries. I did school newspaper at my UG. My UG's paper was nothing special, but it was light years ahead of what it took to do the newspaper in HS. Simply a different level of skill, work and (most importantly) responsibility.

You're generally right, which is what matters for what goes on a resume. But still, in terms of things that people do that are impressive, gunnery high schools (read: people care) often outperform nongunnery colleges (read: people don't care). And besides, almost nothing anyone does in either college or high school is particularly impressive. Frankly, I think people care too much about all of this crap.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:10 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Samara wrote:I do. I've done one of those things and I would never put it on my resume. (I'm also 3.5 years out of UG, so take that FWIW.) The competition level for these things is simply not the same as their collegiate corollaries. I did school newspaper at my UG. My UG's paper was nothing special, but it was light years ahead of what it took to do the newspaper in HS. Simply a different level of skill, work and (most importantly) responsibility.

You're generally right, which is what matters for what goes on a resume. But still, in terms of things that people do that are impressive, gunnery high schools (read: people care) often outperform nongunnery colleges (read: people don't care). And besides, almost nothing anyone does in either college or high school is particularly impressive. Frankly, I think people care too much about all of this crap.

+1

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:35 pm

"Winning state and national forensic tournaments is a big deal.
Being on a state champion varsity sports team is a big deal."

So would it be worth putting that I was on the Academic Decathlon team that ranked second nationwide? Also, would it be worth putting varsity for a 5-year state championship winning tennis team, of which I was apart for 3 of those years?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:28 pm

coldshoulder wrote:"Winning state and national forensic tournaments is a big deal.

So would it be worth putting that I was on the Academic Decathlon team that ranked second nationwide? Also, would it be worth putting varsity for a 5-year state championship winning tennis team, of which I was apart for 3 of those years?

Where are you applying?

I would say the Academic Decathalon might be interesting - did you do some big tourney spots or what not to get the ranking? If you could make it interesting, I think it could be relevant. I would find it impressive anyways (because I could never do it lol).

The tennis thing....no unless you have to. I will say I am of two minds about it though. I was a tennis player growing up and was nationally ranked for several years (very young), alongside individual victories at the high school state level. I did NOT put it on my resume, THOUGH I was admittedly tempted to mention the national ranking thing after seeing on Yale's list of incoming classmen profiles that Asha found it impressive enough to mention a nationally-ranked junior tennis player (so there you have some information that runs contrary to the high school being totally irrelevant. If its good enough for Yale...she didn't specify what the ranking was though and I believe anyone that is a top-regional player and plays at least one national tourney achieves a ranking).

BUT, unless you were the captain and star of the team, merely participating given the way state rankings are determined in high school tennis rankings (ie. you have a good doubles team and a good singles player who end up winning and the other people have nothing to do with said ranking since 100% of tennis is played, practiced, and developed outside of high school in academies/tennis clubs). Try to focus on your personal accomplishments - like where you awarded something presitigious that you can put instead? I would put that over the group award, especially (and I could be reading this wrong) because you are saying you graduated in 3 years but were on a varsity team that one 5 straight state titles. So at least 2 of those teams, you wouldn't have even been on right? I wouldn't put it as a group award personally unless you are really struggling to find things to put on your resume. Then I would go ahead and throw it on to show you had some athletic exposure at some point. But if you are choosing between that and something you did in college, I don't think it will help you at the top schools. Just to be honest - you should totally feel a sense of accomplishment and its a great thing to have under your belt, just not necessarily for this process kwim?
Last edited by MumofCad on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:32 pm

coldshoulder wrote:"Winning state and national forensic tournaments is a big deal.

I wouldn't put the academic decathlon team. Application readers have plenty of other information (GPA, LSAT, LOR, PS, etc.) with which infer about your academic ability, and probably won't care about high school academic ECs. Tennis, I might mention in one line just to show off some non-academic interests and achievements, but no more.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:35 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Samara wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Hmmm...

I don't mean literally, I just mean its not what I would consider worthy of putting on an law school application (depending of course on where you are applying too). It just doesn't say much and they don't care frankly because the competition is so low. Yeah, you don't need to own up to slacking in high school but admitting you were always an over-achiever isn't going to help you IMO. The competition and standards are just so low in high school generally, there will be tons of valedictorians at the top school. If you're desperate to fill a page you could throw it on, but I don't think its getting you anywhere but not looking totally without accolades/experience.

No, you meant literally. Didn't you win a Fullbright?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:36 pm

shoeshine wrote:

No. I didn't.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm

MumofCad wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

No. I didn't

Sorry, Marshall Scholar with a 4.0.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=161531

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:49 pm

shoeshine wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

No. I didn't

Sorry, Marshall Scholar with a 4.0.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 9&t=161531

Is this on topic? I thought we were trying to help OP develop an effective resume and think through his options. I must have misunderstood the point of this thread...

Sorry OP to have your thread hijacked. I'll bow out so it can go back to answering your question and hopefully helping you get into the law school of your choosing. Good luck! Don't stress too much over it. You have some interesting things under your belt and I'm sure you'll be a great candidate either way you go.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:40 am

I do. I have 2 of the 4 (number 1 and number 3) both in high school and college. I am not expecting a boost at all from them. I don't think ad comms will care at all.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:43 am

emkay625 wrote:

I do. I have 2 of the 4 (number 1 and number 3) both in high school and college. I am not expecting a boost at all from them. I don't think ad comms will care at all.

Also, they are not even on my resume (the high school ones).

Kess

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm kind of struggling with this too. I have some good stuff from highschool (assembly internship, law firm job)... and I am applying right out of UG. I've been with the same firm most of my UG and without my high school stuff, my resume will be about 4 lines long.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”