How big of a disadvantage is it to have to wait on dec lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dawak1

How big of a disadvantage is it to have to wait on dec lsat?

Postby Dawak1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:14 am

Would REALLY appreciate any input.

Just so you guys have a rough idea of my overall circumstances:
Final GPA will be in the range of 3.65-3.70 from University of Florida (Double Major in Poli Sci and History)
First LSAT: 160 (June 2010)
I am Bengali, born and raised in NYC. (I recognize that I dont count as a URM)
I have pretty good softs, including a bunch of internships and I will def have alot to say in my diversity statement.

My heart is pretty set on going to law school in NYC, so i'm aiming for Fordham. But im sure If I could get into basically any t-14 school I wouldnt turn it down. I am re-taking the LSAT in December. I've read countless times that it's strongly recommended to apply "early" in Oct, Nov, but I am set on re-taking in Dec and improving my score to the 164-167 range. I barely prepped the first time because of family obligations and I think scoring a 165 in Dec is very realistic (based on my current performance in practice). I am set on beginning law school next year. Basically, I am worried about how big of a disadvantage is it to have to wait on Dec LSAT scores? Should I be submitting all my apps in mid november and tell them to wait for the scores?

How much will the fact that my app must wait on Dec LSAT scores hurt my chances overall? how big of an advantage is it really to apply early? and IF I AM able to score in the 165-167 range, what are my chances at t14? Im well aware that I have the previous 160 weighing me down...how will t14 schools treat the disparity between my scores?

I would really appreciate ANY advice you guys have.
Thanks alot.

Tiago Splitter

Re: How big of a disadvantage is it to have to wait on dec lsat?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:20 am

First of all, get the 165 idea out of your head. If you got a 160 with minimal prep and have even the slightest idea of what "T-14" means, you need to be aiming for the 170s.

Study for this test like nothing you've studied before. It really is that important.

To your question, applying in December with a higher score trumps applying early every time. The difference in possibilities between a 160 and a 167 is enormous.

Dawak1

Postby Dawak1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:First of all, get the 165 idea out of your head. If you got a 160 with minimal prep and have even the slightest idea of what "T-14" means, you need to be aiming for the 170s.

Study for this test like nothing you've studied before. It really is that important.

To your question, applying in December with a higher score trumps applying early every time. The difference in possibilities between a 160 and a 167 is enormous.

Thanks for the reply. I realize that the 165 is not gonna cut it for a t-14, I guess I meant it for Fordham. So I was looking at applying early to Fordham with the 160 vs applying in december with a 165. I guess it still applies that the higher score trumps applying early? even when not considering t14

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:32 am

check your PM

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:31 am

Your app won't be touched until it is complete and it won't be complete until the December LSAT. Applying in November and telling them to wait is no different than submitting in late December.

Is there a reason you HAVE to go next year?

I was in the same boat last year with a score I wasn't quite content with coming out of October and I ended up doing well on December and deciding to hold off and apply this cycle to give myself the best chance at getting in and getting money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”