Confused about fee waiver from T14 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uchi15hopeful

New

Confused about fee waiver from T14

Post by uchi15hopeful » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:48 pm

I have a solid GPA (3.88) but an unrepresentative, addendum-worthy LSAT (low 160's). I just received a fee waiver from a solid T14 school, unsolicited, and I'm a bit confused.

What information do they have to go from? Do schools see LSAT, GPA (range that you selected), your level of education, etc.?

kaiser

Gold

Re: Confused about fee waiver from T14

Post by kaiser » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Don't try and read a single thing into fee waivers. Not the slightest detail. They mean nothing and there is no logic or reason. In fact, it is to the school's advantage to just send them out liberally since it gives them more applicants. More applicants leads to a higher rejection rate, which in turn gives a higher level of selectivity. This benefits the school in the rankings. So don't read into it because the motive likely isn't any real interest or benevolence on the part of the school. But on the other hand, don't flip and think that the school assumes you have no chance. Might as well apply now that you have the waiver. But just don't build up expectations on the basis of it.

uchi15hopeful

New

Post by uchi15hopeful » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. Setting me up for a rejection, so they could have a better rejection rate - haha- was the first thing on my mind. However, if this were a common practice, why wouldn't they do it far more liberally? Why not send one to ALL applicants who have no chance, just to have one of the best rejection rates?

But I was already going to apply to the school, so I will. I knew that it meant nothing, after reading so much about it on TLS, but I was just surprised when it happened to me.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:03 pm

It makes sense for them to send it to people they don't expect to apply, since they aren't losing any revenue.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:03 pm

uchi15hopeful wrote:Thanks for the reply. Setting me up for a rejection, so they could have a better rejection rate - haha- was the first thing on my mind. However, if this were a common practice, why wouldn't they do it far more liberally? Why not send one to ALL applicants who have no chance, just to have one of the best rejection rates?

But I was already going to apply to the school, so I will. I knew that it meant nothing, after reading so much about it on TLS, but I was just surprised when it happened to me.
They don't send one to everyone because then every student would expect a waiver, and no one with no chance would actually pay (I'm not saying you have no chance, and I'm not saying that is the only reason they sent it to you. I'm just saying that this is my suspicion when they send these things around, given their inherent incentive).

And for the record, I got a bunch of fee waivers from T14 schools that I thought I had no chance at. And I even ended up getting into one. So while I thought they just wanted to increase their rejection rate, they still took me seriously and were willing to sign me up. So keep your hopes up.

uchi15hopeful

New

Post by uchi15hopeful » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks.

It's all about 10/1 or 12/3. If I get the score I know I can get, I'll be more than fine. Just hoping to continue focusing and prepping.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”