AmeriCorps Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JDndMSW

AmeriCorps Fee Waivers

Postby JDndMSW » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:36 pm

I thought I would share my experience in getting fee waivers as an AmeriCorps Alum so that it can be a resource for others. If you are an AmeriCorps Alum and having anything to add PLEASE post or PM me so I can keep this updated! I also want people to keep in mind it has been almost 3 years since my service so those who are current members or were very recently may receive more (due to low wages etc.)

Boston College: Yes! No code required.

Boston University: Yes! No code required.

Colorado: Yes, emailed code

Duke: No

George Washington Yes, emailed code

Lewis and Clark: Yes! No waiver code required.

Loyola LA: Please visit our website for the Fee Waiver Application at, --LinkRemoved--. Please send supporting documentation of your AmeriCorp membership with your application. We will be notifying students about the results of their application starting in October.
(It looks like you would fill out “Section C” explaining you were an AmeriCorps Alum/Member)

edit: Received an email a few weeks later (before my application was submitted) telling me me fee waiver had been granted.

Michigan Law: “Alternatively, for a merit-based fee waiver, if you send a bit more information, such as your undergraduate GPA, LSAT score, undergraduate school, major, work/life experience, and any honors or awards that you may have received, we would then take all this information into consideration and get back to you as soon as possible.”

Notre Dame: Said yes and to read website but linked me to a page that only addressed TFA members. Waiting for a response. Said to use the TFA process:
“To receive the application fee waiver, submit your online application as if you are paying by check or money order. When you complete the certification letter, check the fee waived for ACE/Teach for America. Mail your certification letter and proof of participation in Teach for America to the Admissions Office”

Pepperdine: No

Tulane: Emailed me back with a waiver code

University of California Davis: Will grant waivers to current or recent (in the last calendar year)

University of California, Hastings: No

University of California, LA: No

University of North Carolina: Yes, but I am still somewhat confused about the process that they want me to take...

University of San Diego: No

University of Southern California No

University of Texas: Thank you for your inquiry. While we do not have an automatic fee waiver agreement in place with AmeriCorps (Peace Corps, etc.) as we do with Teach for America, we will give your fee waiver application the same consideration. In your case, you will need to submit a completed Application for Fee Waiver and a completed Application for Admission on or before November 1. If you wish to apply for Regular Decision, you may also apply for a fee waiver; however, the Regular Decision application must accompany the Application for Fee Waiver and be submitted on or before November 1. To obtain JD Application and Application for Fee Waiver forms, please go to http://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/areq.WBX?page_switch=1. Please remember that this process requires you to mail a paper application to the Admissions Office. This means you will not apply electronically through the LSAC web site.

University of Washington: Will not consider waivers until Oct. 1.

Vanderbilt: Yes! No code required.

Wake Forest: Emailed me back with a waiver code

WUSTL Yes! No code required.
Last edited by JDndMSW on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

sea15

Re: AmeriCorps Fee Waivers

Postby sea15 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Berkeley. Only for current alumni. You have to fill out a form and send it in along with current contract. Took about a week to hear back from them.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm TFA, not americorps, but I thought I'd add that I've had success with Northwestern.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:47 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I'm TFA, not americorps, but I thought I'd add that I've had success with Northwestern.

Thank you for the input but I would rather keep this seperate for TFA just because many schools already specifically address TFA and have programs for them, I think there was a post fairly recently where someone from TFA compiled their responses.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:47 pm

sea15 wrote:Berkeley. Only for current alumni. You have to fill out a form and send it in along with current contract. Took about a week to hear back from them.

Do you mean current or current and recent alumni?

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks for this!

I'm going to be putting out requests around Oct. 1st while I wait for my LSAT score to come back. Probably blanketing t14 from Chi on down with a few exceptions, and a few midwest additions in the 20s. Hoping MVP and below bite especially.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:02 pm

tmon wrote:Thanks for this!

I'm going to be putting out requests around Oct. 1st while I wait for my LSAT score to come back. Probably blanketing t14 from Chi on down with a few exceptions, and a few midwest additions in the 20s. Hoping MVP and below bite especially.

Ya no response from WUSTL yet. According to the main waiver thread they have not been writing anyone back.

sea15

Postby sea15 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:29 pm

JDndMSW wrote:
sea15 wrote:Berkeley. Only for current alumni. You have to fill out a form and send it in along with current contract. Took about a week to hear back from them.

Do you mean current or current and recent alumni?

Sorry. Meant current members.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Added WUSTL :)

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Added Loyola LA and UNC

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Updated with GW

ajl17

Postby ajl17 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:40 pm

I'd be really interested in hearing what other schools gave AmeriCorps alumni fee waivers recently since this thread is a little old at this point. I served as Americorps VISTA my first year out of college 3 years ago and am applying this fall. Thank you!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”