LOR Nightmare. Please help.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Real Madrid

LOR Nightmare. Please help.

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Okay, so I'm pretty much ready to apply to a lot of schools, but only have one of four LORs into CAS. I requested LORs from no less than three professors and one advisor back in the middle of July and explicitly told them that I planned on applying (i.e. that they needed to be done) by early September. I have been trying unsuccessfully for about three weeks now to get in touch with them, but none of them are answering emails.

This is driving me up the wall, mostly because it's the one thing I can't control. What can I do?

(Oh, and calling them won't work because their offices don't have phones - their numbers just go straight to the department receptionist).

RaleighStClair

Re: LOR Nightmare. Please help.

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Hmmm. That is frustrating. Have they already written the letters and they just haven't been submitted yet? Or have you not heard anything from them since you contacted them a while ago?

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Have not heard anything since I personally handed them the necessary materials back in July. I was actually in contact with one of them through email for a bit the month after, and have been in contact even more recently with another, but the third I have not heard from in two months.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:10 pm

How far are you located from their offices? At this point, if hounding them with e-mails isn't working, it would probably be worth it to physically track them down. Sorry I can't be of much more help - that's a tough situation.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:56 pm

This totally blows. Professors should really behave better. As though this process isn't stressful enough without them jerking you around.

Hmmm...I would be worried if its been 3 legitimate full weeks and they haven't even responded with a short - sorry I haven't gotten back to you. We can chat next week - or something. When you asked them, did they seem enthusiastic about doing them? You def need to hound, but I also worry that if one is having to hound too much, it might be that the profs are trying to give you a soft "no." What was your read on them?

Is there someone else you can ask? You can pile these babies up and even never use them, but it might be worth soliciting a safety right now to just have on file if this continues.

The good news is that most schools aren't going to be looking at RD files for a little bit still.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:How far are you located from their offices? At this point, if hounding them with e-mails isn't working, it would probably be worth it to physically track them down. Sorry I can't be of much more help - that's a tough situation.

lol. About 6,000 miles.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:03 pm

MumofCad wrote:This totally blows. Professors should really behave better. As though this process isn't stressful enough without them jerking you around.

Hmmm...I would be worried if its been 3 legitimate full weeks and they haven't even responded with a short - sorry I haven't gotten back to you. We can chat next week - or something. When you asked them, did they seem enthusiastic about doing them? You def need to hound, but I also worry that if one is having to hound too much, it might be that the profs are trying to give you a soft "no." What was your read on them?

Is there someone else you can ask? You can pile these babies up and even never use them, but it might be worth soliciting a safety right now to just have on file if this continues.

The good news is that most schools aren't going to be looking at RD files for a little bit still.

Good points. One of them will probably write me a very generic, average LOR (at best). He could very easily be be giving me a soft "no." The other two, though, seemed pretty enthusiastic about it. One of them I have a very close relationship with and I'm sure she's probably just been busy. The other one may be busy too, but I'm almost positive he'll write me a very good LOR - if he ever gets to it.

Glock

Postby Glock » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Call.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:How far are you located from their offices? At this point, if hounding them with e-mails isn't working, it would probably be worth it to physically track them down. Sorry I can't be of much more help - that's a tough situation.

lol. About 6,000 miles.

Call. It's easy to skim over an email, but harder to dick over someone you're speaking with.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Call and have the receptionist pass you on to their voicemails/offices. Also, try sending a follow-up packet with all your info and LOR request to their offices, including in it that you requested the LORs from them on such and such a date (nicely, of course).

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Threaten

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:08 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Also, try sending a follow-up packet with all your info and LOR request to their offices, including in it that you requested the LORs from them on such and such a date (nicely, of course).

I found this helped me out last year. Also, perhaps it would help to explain if you're applying ED/EA and give the deadline.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:39 pm

It's a busy start of school time and LOR season for profs. You don't really lose your "early" edge as long as you get it in before the Oct LSAT scores are released. Try these suggestions out, but don't freak yet. You've still got a few weeks before you've even 'lost' anything.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:11 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Call and have the receptionist pass you on to their voicemails/offices. Also, try sending a follow-up packet with all your info and LOR request to their offices, including in it that you requested the LORs from them on such and such a date (nicely, of course).

Good point. I can leave messages on their respective voicemails, but seeing as I'm in a foreign country it's gonna be pretty hard to actually get them on the phone when I don't have a return number to call (only have Skype). This is so frustrating. :evil:

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:Call and have the receptionist pass you on to their voicemails/offices. Also, try sending a follow-up packet with all your info and LOR request to their offices, including in it that you requested the LORs from them on such and such a date (nicely, of course).

Good point. I can leave messages on their respective voicemails, but seeing as I'm in a foreign country it's gonna be pretty hard to actually get them on the phone when I don't have a return number to call (only have Skype). This is so frustrating. :evil:

Explain that in the VM, emphasize your (actual) deadlines, and ask them to communicate with you via email as quickly as they are able. They don't need to be able to call you back.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”