Pass/No Pass Question.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Debacle20

Pass/No Pass Question.

Postby Debacle20 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:21 am

This is going to be my 2nd year at UCSB and I decided to change my major over summer and perhaps think about going to law school. My First year was good overall, ended with a 3.57 GPA and it will likely increase as my first year i was doing pre-med. The concern I have is Winter quarter of my first year i took a extremely large workload (21 units) including classes like Chemistry, Physics and Calculus.
Because of this I decided to P/NP a history class of mine and received a grade of NP in it, not sure how law schools will view it but I recently changed my major to history and I will retake that class later this year for a letter grade. I think this time around i'll be able to get an A, do you guys think that NP will really hurt my chances for a top 20 law school if I retake it and get a B or an A?

shoeshine

Re: Pass/No Pass Question.

Postby shoeshine » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:37 am

NP as in you failed the class? I think they will take it like you failed the class.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:39 am

It's going to hurt your LSDAS GPA, but it's just one course and you have plenty of chances to bring it back up. Get your GPA up as much as you can, and avoid overcommitting yourself in the future.

Debacle20

Postby Debacle20 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:59 am

Is it recommended that I speak on the NP grade on my application and try to point out that I took a very large workload that I couldn't handle? Or is it pointless?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:01 am

Probably pointless. You're applying to a professional school, it doesn't really matter why you failed, you just failed.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Debacle20 wrote:Is it recommended that I speak on the NP grade on my application and try to point out that I took a very large workload that I couldn't handle? Or is it pointless?

Law school adcoms believe (and they're right) that law school has a heavy workload. This explanation might hurt your application.

arak

Postby arak » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:17 pm

UCSB student here. I'v got a NP and it fucked my LSDAS GPA up big time. I've put lot of work getting my GPA back up where it used to be.

If you want to make up that NP, you need to start getting some stellar grades. You still have 2 more years at UCSB so you have time to make it up. Stop getting drunk and running around with the clowns on Del Playa and focus on your grades.

Also, any excuse for poor grades other than "I was in a coma", will be brush off by admissions.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”