Traffic Violation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oregon000

Traffic Violation

Postby oregon000 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:00 pm

I am filling out an application and it asks for misdemeanor convictions other then speeding tickets. When I was 16 I was cited for a moving violation (non-speeding) and paid the fine. No drinking, drugs etc. Is this something that would still be on my record now that I am an adult? Do I disclose?

Eco

Re: Traffic Violation

Postby Eco » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:03 pm

A moving violation is basically like a speeding ticket lol. I never reported mine and I'm in GW.

straxen

Postby straxen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Follow the letter of what you're asked. If the app only asks for criminal convictions (e.g. felonies & misdemeanors, not infractions) and your citation was only an infraction, or if it says something like minor traffic violations are excluded, you're probably ok not disclosing. Otherwise, if it only says omit "speeding" violations and it wasn't a speeding violation, then I'd probably disclose with a very short note to be on the safe side. Nobody's going to care, might as well include if it's not clear whether or not it's included by the language of the disclosure request. Whether it's still on your record or not is almost certainly immaterial unless you're told you can exclude matters that have been sealed or expunged.

oregon000

Postby oregon000 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:29 pm

straxen wrote:Follow the letter of what you're asked. If the app only asks for criminal convictions (e.g. felonies & misdemeanors, not infractions) and your citation was only an infraction, or if it says something like minor traffic violations are excluded, you're probably ok not disclosing. Otherwise, if it only says omit "speeding" violations and it wasn't a speeding violation, then I'd probably disclose with a very short note to be on the safe side. Nobody's going to care, might as well include if it's not clear whether or not it's included by the language of the disclosure request. Whether it's still on your record or not is almost certainly immaterial unless you're told you can exclude matters that have been sealed or expunged.

Thank you thank you. That was sort of what I thought. Would something like this be adequate?

" In 2007 I was cited for a "failure to yield" moving violation. I was 16 at the time and promptly paid the fine."

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:36 pm

That's perfect. No one will care at all about it.

oregon000

Postby oregon000 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:50 pm

k thanks

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:55 pm

What about the parking Ticket any idea?
8)

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:12 pm

lovejopd wrote:What about the parking Ticket any idea?
8)

Full disclosure is always required for parking tickets.

oregon000

Postby oregon000 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:00 pm

So is the disclosure supposed to be an addendum? Do title I it as " Character and Fitness Disclosure" or just say "addenda" and have it under that? anyone know? Thanks in advance

neeko

Postby neeko » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:31 pm

oregon000 wrote:So is the disclosure supposed to be an addendum? Do title I it as " Character and Fitness Disclosure" or just say "addenda" and have it under that? anyone know? Thanks in advance

I didn't title mine, I just put the question numbers and attached them to the character and fitness section. Whether this is the right way to do it, I am not sure.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”