Question about "Employment" section on applications...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Real Madrid

Question about "Employment" section on applications...

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 pm

So I was employed twice during my undergraduate years and am currently employed as well. Problem is, I can't remember the exact dates of employment and for some reason I don't have them on my resume (just have the years). I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place because I can't really click "This section does not apply to me" (even though it is not a mandatory section), but I also don't want to accidentally lie about my employment dates. I really don't know how I could get in touch with the employers to find out, either.

Help?

rinkrat19

Re: Question about "Employment" section on applications...

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Real Madrid wrote:So I was employed twice during my undergraduate years and am currently employed as well. Problem is, I can't remember the exact dates of employment and for some reason I don't have them on my resume (just have the years). I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place because I can't really click "This section does not apply to me" (even though it is not a mandatory section), but I also don't want to accidentally lie about my employment dates. I really don't know how I could get in touch with the employers to find out, either.

Help?
You can't even estimate the months, with help from the school year calendar? If it was a summer job that you remember lasting all summer, put June-Sept 200X (or whatever your school's vacation was). If it was during the school year and lasted 'til Christmas, put Sept-Dec 200X.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:16 pm

I mean, I could probably guesstimate them (though both were for more than a semester and began at odd times), but I'm really paranoid about putting any wrong information on my application because of C&F. Haha. :oops:

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Maybe post seasons? For example, worked Summer of 2008, Winter of 2009, etc. I don't think the C&F would bust you too harshly for being a month or a season off.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Real Madrid wrote:I mean, I could probably guesstimate them (though both were for more than a semester and began at odd times), but I'm really paranoid about putting any wrong information on my application because of C&F. Haha. :oops:
Just a 0L here, so take my advice for what it's worth, but I think they're more worried about you deliberately omitting things than accidentally getting things slightly wrong. A month here or there off in your employment dates is not going to kill you.

If you're really freaked, write an Employment Addendum and state simply that the months you provided for employment dates are estimates, but the years are correct, and there was no intention to provide inaccurate information, but you were unable to find any records from those periods. Or something like that.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:35 pm

So do we need to put ALL of our employment on there or just what was consistent. Like obviously I do not put all of my jobs on my resume (like the 3 weeks I worked for Victoria's Secret during the holiday season) but do I need to put EVERYTHING in the employment section. I am not omitting because I was fired or anything.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:49 pm

JDndMSW wrote:So do we need to put ALL of our employment on there or just what was consistent. Like obviously I do not put all of my jobs on my resume (like the 3 weeks I worked for Victoria's Secret during the holiday season) but do I need to put EVERYTHING in the employment section. I am not omitting because I was fired or anything.

I'm just including what was on my resume. There's no point in adding the month and a half I worked for Phone-a-Thon or my crappy mall job at Bath & Bodyworks in high school.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:52 pm

No13baby wrote:
JDndMSW wrote:So do we need to put ALL of our employment on there or just what was consistent. Like obviously I do not put all of my jobs on my resume (like the 3 weeks I worked for Victoria's Secret during the holiday season) but do I need to put EVERYTHING in the employment section. I am not omitting because I was fired or anything.

I'm just including what was on my resume. There's no point in adding the month and a half I worked for Phone-a-Thon or my crappy mall job at Bath & Bodyworks in high school.

k cool, I was just worried that it could become a CF issue.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”