Harvard Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oregon000

Harvard Question

Postby oregon000 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:42 am

Briefly describe any written work you’ve produced (e.g., college-level or higher papers, articles, theses, etc., with multiple revisions in response to feedback) under the supervision of an academic advisor or professional editor. (maximum characters 300).

Is this published/unpublished? What did you do if you didn't remember your papers from college?

acrossthelake

Re: Harvard Question

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:56 am

Note that it be under the supervision of an academic advisor--so not just a paper for class. (This isn't intended necessarily directly at you OP, but also for anyone reading this).
Unpublished is fine---senior theses seem to count, even though most don't publish those in national journals.
Are you so far out of college that you don't remember what major papers you wrote under an advisor were about?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:27 am

acrossthelake wrote:Are you so far out of college that you don't remember what major papers you wrote under an advisor were about?

LOL.

For some of us, mis-remembering isn't the problem.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:31 am

I hate this section because it won't allow quotation marks. Very annoying.

I also wrestled with the 300 character limit, which seems ridiculously low. I had to put a general "Contributor to Publications" due to the character limit. Hopefully, they'll just look at my resume for the details.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:35 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Are you so far out of college that you don't remember what major papers you wrote under an advisor were about?

LOL.

:D

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

LOL.

True, though that is the question of the OP:
oregon000 wrote: What did you do if you didn't remember your papers from college?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Maybe I'm misreading, but I took it to mean that anything would suffice, even a general paper that wasn't necessarily a "thesis." It says college level work that was supervised by an academic adviser, so I would think a term paper for a course would work if you can dig one up. I just put titles, because the character limit is so low that you can't really describe anything.

Like if you can look at your transcript and see that you took a USFP class, and vaguely remember a term paper where you had to argue a particular point or synthesize schools of thought in foreign policy, I would just put that. I'm not sure with the character limit how much more anyone else would put anyway. If you had a "real" journal publication or something, it would take the whole space just to list 1 entry.

So you could put: Analysis of US Foreign Policy, research paper on XXXXXX, Another Class, research paper on the Iraq War.

I could be totally wrong here, but I think this section is a tough one for anyone. I'm not sure its going to be particularly informative no matter what you put.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:25 pm

MumofCad wrote:Maybe I'm misreading, but I took it to mean that anything would suffice, even a general paper that wasn't necessarily a "thesis." It says college level work that was supervised by an academic adviser, so I would think a term paper for a course would work if you can dig one up. I just put titles, because the character limit is so low that you can't really describe anything.

Like if you can look at your transcript and see that you took a USFP class, and vaguely remember a term paper where you had to argue a particular point or synthesize schools of thought in foreign policy, I would just put that. I'm not sure with the character limit how much more anyone else would put anyway. If you had a "real" journal publication or something, it would take the whole space just to list 1 entry.

So you could put: Analysis of US Foreign Policy, research paper on XXXXXX, Another Class, research paper on the Iraq War.

I could be totally wrong here, but I think this section is a tough one for anyone. I'm not sure its going to be particularly informative no matter what you put.

Ah, I took it to mean research papers written outside of class since I'm not sure why they'd ask for in-class papers. It's a new question and I'm not sure what they want out of it. I'd definitely e-mail and ask.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:21 pm

I can't get any punctuation to work... Quotes, colons, hyphens, apostrophes. What do I do?!? This is the Education section, question 13 and 14.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”