Value of undergrad Mock Trial for law school admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SeaDove28

Value of undergrad Mock Trial for law school admissions?

Postby SeaDove28 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Does participation in Mock Trial tend to impress law school admissions more so than other campus extracurriculars like 'American Red Cross' club? What general value does it hold in the eyes of admission officers? If general memberships isn't really that impressive, then what about winning achievements as a member in Mock Trial?
Last edited by SeaDove28 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Value of undergrad Mock Trial for law school admissions?

Postby bjsesq » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:08 pm

SeaDove28 wrote:Does participation in Mock Trial tend to impress law school admissions more so than other campus extracurriculars like 'American Red Cross' club? If general participation isn't really that impressive, then what about winning achievements in Mock Trial?

No to your first question. No to your second question. It has, however, been invaluable in some classes.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 pm

No. You're up against people who did things like the Peace Corps or working for McKinsey for a few years.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:18 pm

acrossthelake wrote:No. You're up against people who did things like the Peace Corps or working for McKinsey for a few years.

+1 The things my classmates have done make Mock Trial seem pretty iffy as a resume line

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:06 pm

bk1 wrote:I dunno. I've met a lot office assistants, legal assistants, paralegals, paper pushers, etc. There are of course some superstars in the class but I doubt they are close to a majority. I think the thing is that a lot of people talk up their work experience to make it sound better than it really is, especially to strangers/people they are meeting for the first time.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
bk1 wrote:I dunno. I've met a lot office assistants, legal assistants, paralegals, paper pushers, etc. There are of course some superstars in the class but I doubt they are close to a majority. I think the thing is that a lot of people talk up their work experience to make it sound better than it really is, especially to strangers/people they are meeting for the first time.

I guess that is one way to think about it. I've been genuinely impressed

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”