What counts as a minority?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lopata92
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

What counts as a minority?

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:41 pm

I was born in Ukraine came here at the age of 10 in 2002. Would being Ukrainian suffice as being an "under represented minority?" I am not going to go through my life story, but I have seen my share of hardships, at the same time I am caucasian and that is almost never looked at as a minority, regardless of the nation. If anyone has any knowledge on this, help me out here? Cuz being a minority would make my life sooooooooo much easier during the application process.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby dakure » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:41 pm

No.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby soj » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:43 pm

You're young to be studying for the LSAT already. Not that that's a bad thing.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Lopata92 wrote:Cuz being a minority would make my life sooooooooo much easier during the application process.

I lol'd.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Lopata92 wrote:I was born in Ukraine came here at the age of 10 in 2002. I have seen my share of hardships.


You're not a URM, but you may be able to make something of this part.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:58 pm

You could certainly spin that into a diversity statement, but you aren't an Underrepresented Minority for law school admission purposes. White people of eastern European origin aren't underrepresented in law school compared to the general population like African Americans, Native Americans and certain kinds of Hispanics are.

Lopata92
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

soj wrote:You're young to be studying for the LSAT already. Not that that's a bad thing.

My lsats are in 2 weeks. I graduate my UG in May.

To all else thank you for your replies, so best I can do is write a personal statement about how rough a life of a ukrainain can be?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Lopata92 wrote:
soj wrote:You're young to be studying for the LSAT already. Not that that's a bad thing.

My lsats are in 2 weeks. I graduate my UG in May.

To all else thank you for your replies, so best I can do is write a personal statement about how rough a life of a ukrainain can be?
You'll want to write it more along the lines of "coming from X conditions in the Ukraine has shaped me into the person I am today in Y ways and thus I would contribute Z to your student body" than just writing an essay on how crappy it was.

But yes.

Lopata92
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Thank you. Does age play a factor? like I know schools have a profile like 19-55 or 20-60 since ill be 19 going in will that help? (yes I know this is borederline stupid question) but I am curious. I've read on here that employers look for more "mature" people comming out of law school, but if it helps to expand the class profile I would think it would be in my advantage right?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:53 pm

I would imagine being 19 has pros and cons. Pro, it probably adds to the general interest of your life story (this still hinges on you being able to write a good PS and DS). Con, you're still a freaking teenager and can't drink yet. A good part of law school is forming connections with your classmates, and a good part of that networking is done in bars and at events where alcohol is served. Regardless of whether you drink or not, the rest of the student body may look at you as a little kid. I'm not sure how well you'd fit in.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby mths » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm

I think being 19 will be a big Con and your background will play a minimal role.

anstone1988
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby anstone1988 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:56 pm

mths wrote:I think being 19 will be a big Con and your background will play a minimal role.


Especially if you graduated from college in three years or less.

Lopata92
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:34 pm

anstone1988 wrote:
mths wrote:I think being 19 will be a big Con and your background will play a minimal role.


Especially if you graduated from college in three years or less.


Is that what you think, or that's what you've read and heard?

anstone1988
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby anstone1988 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Lopata92 wrote:
anstone1988 wrote:
mths wrote:I think being 19 will be a big Con and your background will play a minimal role.


Especially if you graduated from college in three years or less.


Is that what you think, or that's what you've read and heard?


Read on TLS. Just do a search on TLS. There have been people who graduated in three years or less due to AP and college credits received during high school. Most law schools wouldn't care, but HYS and a couple of others might. From what I've heard, this applies mainly to 19/20 year-old K-JD.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Being so young, you may want to look at another graduate degree or getting some work experience before law school. OR if you do go into law school right away, maybe look at an LL.M. so that you won't be 22 and looking for a legal job. It shouldn't matter, but I'm afraid it will. I hate it when my doctor looks like he's 12, but I don't think I'd even hire a lawyer that I thought was young and inexperienced. It's stupid, but I'm sure it happens.

Lopata92
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Im doing a JD/MBA duel. I have an accounting undergrad. Worst come to worst I'll be a CPA.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby dr123 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Dont go to law school if you're only nineteen, go get a job and wait to apply to law school until, at the least, you've been able to purchase a beer.

Lopata92
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:45 pm

I think I'll go against all your advice and prove u worng.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby dr123 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Have fun being unemployed and 200k in debt at 22.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Con, you're still a freaking teenager and can't drink yet. A good part of law school is forming connections with your classmates, and a good part of that networking is done in bars and at events where alcohol is served. Regardless of whether you drink or not, the rest of the student body may look at you as a little kid. I'm not sure how well you'd fit in.

+1.

ETA: I had an elaboration but based on this:
Lopata92 wrote:I think I'll go against all your advice and prove u worng.
I will redact it seeing how incorrigible you seem to be.

Lopata92
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:55 pm

dr123 wrote:Have fun being unemployed and 200k in debt at 22.


UConn 28K per year for for years with my JD/MBA being a CPA I'll get a job.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:00 pm

dr123 wrote:Have fun being unemployed and 200k in debt at 22.


Meh, I know someone who graduated at 20 who got a biglawl job in a difficult to attain market from a school in the T14. The youngest person I know of in my current law school class is 20 (note:this is not me). I know a 3L at my school who is 22 and she's biglawl and CoA clerkship secure. All of these people were K-JDs.

I think age can be a con, particularly if you appear immature in interviews and during your summer job, and I doubt it's ever helpful, but it's not always as much as a con as people think.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby dr123 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 pm

One 20 year old got a big law job? Who cares? Making huge life decisions at 19 is not a good idea.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:06 pm

dr123 wrote:One 20 year old got a big law job? Who cares? Making huge life decisions at 19 is not a good idea.


It matters in disproving your point that graduating at 22=unemployed and 200K in debt.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: What counts as a minority?

Postby dr123 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:14 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
dr123 wrote:One 20 year old got a big law job? Who cares? Making huge life decisions at 19 is not a good idea.


It matters in disproving your point that graduating at 22=unemployed and 200K in debt.


That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I said that because it is a very realistic possibility. Also going to law school as a teen who has never had a real job sounds like a horrible idea. You're making a decision that will follow you for the rest of your life. Most people change their minds many, many times as to what they want to so. It is best to at least see what's out there and explore some options.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests