Thinking of dual or joint degrees Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
freestallion

Silver

Thinking of dual or joint degrees

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Quick question. I am thinking of eventually pursuing a dual/joint degree such as a JD/MA in international affairs/a related field, or JD/MSW. However, I haven't decided yet, and I am applying to law schools right now. Most applications ask whether you are applying for a joint degree program, but I haven't taken the GRE and I need more time to research and look into those programs. I was thinking that once I decide on a law school I like, I will explore the joint degree programs at that point and possibly apply during my 1st year of law school instead.

So right now, would it be fine to mark "no" to the question they ask about joint/dual degree programs? And still apply down the road if I find a program I'm interested in? Sorry if this is a stupid question :|

Opie

Silver

Re: Thinking of dual or joint degrees

Post by Opie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:49 pm

I don't think it's a stupid question. I'm interested in the same situation. At my target school there is a JD/MBA program that doesn't start MBA classes until the second year of law school. I might try to join that program, but I'm not applying yet as I haven't taken the MCAT and don't really have time until after the LSAT in Oct.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Opie wrote:I don't think it's a stupid question. I'm interested in the same situation. At my target school there is a JD/MBA program that doesn't start MBA classes until the second year of law school. I might try to join that program, but I'm not applying yet as I haven't taken the MCAT and don't really have time until after the LSAT in Oct.
Thanks for your help. Do you mean the GMAT??

Do you think it would be fine to mark no now, and then apply later on if I am interested in a program?

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 pm

freestallion wrote:
Opie wrote:I don't think it's a stupid question. I'm interested in the same situation. At my target school there is a JD/MBA program that doesn't start MBA classes until the second year of law school. I might try to join that program, but I'm not applying yet as I haven't taken the MCAT and don't really have time until after the LSAT in Oct.
Thanks for your help. Do you mean the GMAT??

Do you think it would be fine to mark no now, and then apply later on if I am interested in a program?
Yes. Most masters programs don't require an application until your first year of LS.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Sounds good. Thanks :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Haha.. Yes. I meant the GMAT. That's how non-focused on it I am. I won't be doing any joint MD/JD programs. If such an insanely difficult thing actually exists. I know of a school that does a PharmD/JD though. That sounds pretty tough, but if you want to do patents in the drug industry it might be helpful.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:00 am

I don't know of any MD/JD programs, but I do know a guy who got his MD and JD from Harvard. I can't even imagine...

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:19 am

Samara wrote:I don't know of any MD/JD programs, but I do know a guy who got his MD and JD from Harvard. I can't even imagine...
kinda funny, a lawyer dude told me a story about how he once reviewed the resume of a guy who had MD and JD from Harvard....he promptly threw out the resume....he told me "never trust a guy who has two careers" lol...maybe we know the same poor sap

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:22 am

Thinking of dual or joint degrees...think again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:33 am

thederangedwang wrote:
Samara wrote:I don't know of any MD/JD programs, but I do know a guy who got his MD and JD from Harvard. I can't even imagine...
kinda funny, a lawyer dude told me a story about how he once reviewed the resume of a guy who had MD and JD from Harvard....he promptly threw out the resume....he told me "never trust a guy who has two careers" lol...maybe we know the same poor sap
That's funny. Honestly, I can't decide if it's a little weird or really cool. The guy I know graduated in 80s and has done very well for himself. I'm definitely impressed by him. He's gone a more academic route though, so it's probably different in that arena than the biglaw arena.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:39 am

thederangedwang wrote:
They have an MD/JD program at Duke.
I would prefer to be waterboarded continuously for 6 years.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:41 am

coldshoulder wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Seriously...WHAT is the point of doing an MD and JD? My med school friends have NO life, literally they study for like 12 hours a day. Add that to law school and I think I would internally combust.

I hear of someone who did a JD and then... decided to do her MD and become a doctor. She'll be 40 by the time she becomes a doctor :shock:

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:48 pm

freestallion wrote:Quick question. I am thinking of eventually pursuing a dual/joint degree such as a JD/MA in international affairs/a related field, or JD/MSW. However, I haven't decided yet, and I am applying to law schools right now. Most applications ask whether you are applying for a joint degree program, but I haven't taken the GRE and I need more time to research and look into those programs. I was thinking that once I decide on a law school I like, I will explore the joint degree programs at that point and possibly apply during my 1st year of law school instead.

So right now, would it be fine to mark "no" to the question they ask about joint/dual degree programs? And still apply down the road if I find a program I'm interested in? Sorry if this is a stupid question :|
This is all school specific. Some require you to attend one program first and then apply to the other one. Some require simultaneous applications. Look at the websites.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:51 pm

As you can tell I am considering the same thing but most of the applications I have filled out ask if you are considering applying, some also specifically ask if you are planning to apply simultaneously which I have selected no. More than just taking the GRE I feel that I have no time for the extra applications. I have just decided to wait and see where I am accepted before I even consider applying. I am hoping that with an acceptance to that schools LS and an LSAT score some schools may give you another option then taking the GRE.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
I think a few schools have this. Pretty sure Case Western does too and some school in texas (Houston maybe?). I was looking into it for like 5 minutes before I applied to law school...then I smacked myself upside the head and moved on.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:05 am

freestallion wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Seriously...WHAT is the point of doing an MD and JD? My med school friends have NO life, literally they study for like 12 hours a day. Add that to law school and I think I would internally combust.

I hear of someone who did a JD and then... decided to do her MD and become a doctor. She'll be 40 by the time she becomes a doctor :shock:
I would guess that Duke having a JD/MD program has to do with the fact that it borders the pharmaceutical company capital of the world. Not sure if you'd need the dual degree for IP lit or just general counsel stuff but it seems like there'd be positions that could use one.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm

The advice I've gotten from lawyers is that except for an MD or an MA in a science for those looking for IP work, it makes your resume stand out, but not in a good way. If you have lots of experience in that field, then an MA is nice, but maybe not necessary to go into that field after you get a JD. If you don't have any experience in that field, an MA/JD can make you look like a degree junkie. Unless you have a really specific reason to do this, with a precise career track in mind that requires both degrees, it sounds like a way to spend $$$ to put a credential on your resume that won't do much.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”