Recommendation letter and taking a year off

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jychun412

Recommendation letter and taking a year off

Postby jychun412 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:54 am

Can I ask my recommender to submit his letter to LSAC if I plan to apply next year?
Can he update the letter next year if he wants to?

Moomoo2u

Re: Recommendation letter and taking a year off

Postby Moomoo2u » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:56 am

yes and yes. I'm using letters from a year ago as they're still relevant to my academic experience. Unless you go into grad school/other professional school where you could get a more recent recommendation I wouldn't worry about it. You might also want to include a LOR from someone who's connected with what you're doing now/will be doing.

kaveman

Postby kaveman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:11 am

When I told my recommender that I'd be waiting another year, she simply saved my letter to her hard drive and is pulling it up for this cycle, updating some of the wording, etc. So if you think you'll be able to get in touch with the professor when you're ready to apply, they can simply save it.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:23 am

kaveman wrote:When I told my recommender that I'd be waiting another year, she simply saved my letter to her hard drive and is pulling it up for this cycle, updating some of the wording, etc. So if you think you'll be able to get in touch with the professor when you're ready to apply, they can simply save it.

I would be worried that the professor would lose it, go on sabbatical, move or something else unforseen and I wouldn't be able to get it. I think it's prudent to get the letter while you can. There's no advantage to having a more recently dated letter unless you've done more work with the recommender in the ensuing year.

jychun412

Postby jychun412 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:23 am

I see. Thank you so much for your responses everyone.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”