Resume Template Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yellowtree

New

Resume Template

Post by Yellowtree » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Does anyone have a good template I could see

Thanks

MumofCad

Silver

Re: Resume Template

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Go to Harvard's website. They have in their resume section 3 successful examples. Use any and you will be fine.

Yellowtree

New

Post by Yellowtree » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:07 pm

cool thanks

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Quick question on the resume topic. What's your opinion on including a 'personal' section where you quickly list hobbies/interests? I see the positive side of giving schools insight into who you are and your activities, but also the negative of this not being very relevant to law school itself...

Thoughts?

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:41 pm

I think that's pretty standard. It's in the Harvard sample resumes as well as other samples.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:03 pm

So no phone numbers for references even though this resume isn't for a 'job' so to speak?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:13 pm

You can make up a separate page of references if you want (it's always a good thing to keep up-to-date and on hand anyway), but don't include it with your resume on apps.

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:25 pm

So pretty much just follow one of the Harvard templates? :P cool

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:25 am

smoneill88 wrote:Quick question on the resume topic. What's your opinion on including a 'personal' section where you quickly list hobbies/interests? I see the positive side of giving schools insight into who you are and your activities, but also the negative of this not being very relevant to law school itself...

Thoughts?
There are positives to including hobbies, of course, but to a fault. Make sure to prune your hobbies to include your more intellectual/athletic/artistic ones over uninspiring/insipid/off-color ones. Like, lanyard-making, celeb-gossip-reading, and drinking shouldn't be there. However, chess club, marathon running, and web design definitely should.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:52 am

smoneill88 wrote:Quick question on the resume topic. What's your opinion on including a 'personal' section where you quickly list hobbies/interests? I see the positive side of giving schools insight into who you are and your activities, but also the negative of this not being very relevant to law school itself...

Thoughts?
I used this section to put a few personal experiences that are revealing/unique but don't really fit well in the other categories or into my PS/app answers. I have three things and they are vastly different from one another, but all about me. One is about a famous foreign dissident and expert on a topic I wrote my UG thesis on who published it on his website (so not a publication per se, but pretty cool since he's been on house arrest for a decade, I was certainly honored), another is about an international sporting event I participated in with a foreign team where women are not typically allowed to participate publicly in sports and our participation was the result of heavy lobbying/activism, and the final one simply points out something personal about me that is easily missed in my PS (namely the fact that the things I talk about doing were done while having 2 small children).

So I guess I used it a little differently than the standard hobbies section, if that makes sense, more like a "fun facts" section. I don't know if that's common practice, but I like what it adds to the formality of the rest of the resume. I wouldn't put it on a job app of course.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”