New Topic: Including High School academics on resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pineappledazzler

New Topic: Including High School academics on resume

Postby pineappledazzler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm

edit
Last edited by pineappledazzler on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billyez

Re: New Topic: Including High School academics on resume

Postby billyez » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 pm

A unique situation, but I still don't think you should. Also...am I reading this correctly, or are you applying without any type of GPA at all?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 pm

You will have a chance to list HS stuff in the main application for schools that care about that. I wouldn't list that on the main resume. It merely draws attention to the fact that your resume would be uninteresting otherwise. Have you ever had a job? Have you volunteered? Any extra-curricular activities? Publications etc? Activities? A one-page resume is okay. Some even consider it standard.

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:47 pm

I am applying with no GPA whatsoever.

I have put in my college extracurriculars, summer job/internship, and a university award - that's about 3/4ths of one page, the HS stuff just rounded it out.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 am

Do not put high school stuff in. Full stop.

Can you even apply without a GPA? Did you send in a transcript?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 am

Don't include it. Lots of international students are in this predicament. It won't matter, they don't have to report your GPA so they won't care.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:58 am

I would absolutely not put high school stuff. Here's why:

1) Its irelevant. Almost everyone did good in high school, and unlike UG GPA, HS GPA is not a useful indicator of performance in law school.

2) Your inclusion of it will make you seem immature, out-of-touch, and apparently not aware of #1 and thus maybe unprepared for what you are getting into.

Not having a GPA is standard for internationals and any transcript would just have a superior, above avg,etc designation. Its not a big deal and won't hurt you. You will only be judged on your LSAT.

That said, it will make your app more important, so you need a great PS that will serve as a writing sample. You also need a well-developed resume and it sounds like you need to work on yours. Try to get involved in some research for a prof that you can put in. Put some descriptions into your activities, don't just list them if there is something you can brag about. Go in to your career center and get some help.good luck!

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have managed to round out my resume with more details; all that's left is the part on the application where it asks for high school name and graduation year (since they ask I assume they want to know!) Will also potentially be writing a DS about education abroad if I find it seems "diverse" enough.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”