dont mention the school at all in PS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

dont mention the school at all in PS?

Postby sangr » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:59 am

hi,

so is it better to add a tiny sentence at the end mentioning the LS you are applying to?

or

to not mention the particular LS at all?

this is assuming you are NOT applying ED and it is not a reach school for you

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: dont mention the school at all in PS?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:57 am

No, don't add a tiny sentence. If you can incorporate it seamlessly, then that's fine. But that'll take more than just a sentence. To be honest, there's not a whole lot of point. A PS without any mention of the school or even law is perfectly fine.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 pm

In her book, Anna Ivey mentions that it is common for applicants to write perfectly good PSs, and then tack on a paragraph at the end about why they want to attend X law school, almost always with an unnatural or forced transition. She strongly advises against doing that.

If you have good reasons for attending X law school, write a 'Why X?' (unless the school is T6, in which case that would be redundant).

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote: A PS without any mention of the school or even law is perfectly fine.

TBF I was doing this and later saw that half the schools I'm applying to wanted me to talk about this. My PS is still butchered because of it.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:24 pm

dont mention the LS in ur PS. waste of time.
safe it for a Why X or if applicable, the Why X/career plans essay. if they dont take a Why X, then dont worry about it.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:25 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:dont mention the LS in ur PS. waste of time.
safe it for a Why X or if applicable, the Why X/career plans essay. if they dont take a Why X, then dont worry about it.

I am going to add more about Berkeley for their PS, because they seem to want it. And also for other schools that I really care about. Other than that, I am going to send in a generic PS.

A generic PS + 'why x' if accepted should be fine. If they don't accept Why X essays, you're fine to leave it out.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 pm

freestallion wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:dont mention the LS in ur PS. waste of time.

I am going to add more about Berkeley for their PS, because they seem to want it. And also for other schools that I really care about. Other than that, I am going to send in a generic PS.

A generic PS + 'why x' if accepted should be fine. If they don't accept Why X essays, you're fine to leave it out.

Good to know about Berkeley. I hadn't applied there.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”