CC'd on letter of rec: problem?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
erikjc

CC'd on letter of rec: problem?

Postby erikjc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:06 pm

One of my recommenders cc'd me at the bottom of his letter of recommendation. It is my third recommendation, not from a professor, so I figure it's probably not a big deal, but I just want to make sure. Any thoughts?

minnbills

Re: CC'd on letter of rec: problem?

Postby minnbills » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:17 pm

erikjc wrote:One of my recommenders cc'd me at the bottom of his letter of recommendation. It is my third recommendation, not from a professor, so I figure it's probably not a big deal, but I just want to make sure. Any thoughts?

I don't think there's a requirement for letters of rec being blind like in UG.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:18 pm

minnbills wrote:
erikjc wrote:One of my recommenders cc'd me at the bottom of his letter of recommendation. It is my third recommendation, not from a professor, so I figure it's probably not a big deal, but I just want to make sure. Any thoughts?

I don't think there's a requirement for letters of rec being blind like in UG.

There wasn't a requirement of that for undergrad, either.

Q: My LOR writer showed me the letter--have I screwed up the waiver?
Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, educational institutions are supposed to allow you to see recommendations that are part of your file after enrolling at the institution as a student. If you waive this right, you will waive your right to ask your institution to show you this letter.

This does not mean you cannot view the letter--it means you cannot view it because the university, rather than the letter writer, gave it to you post-enrollment. If the writer wants to share it with you, that's fine, and totally within the requirements of the waiver.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131727

It's not a big deal--and while it would have been better off BCC than CC, I wouldn't worry about it.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:42 pm

*Palm to the face*

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”