U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Kabuo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 pm

chimp wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Has anybody addressed the question of whether or not sparty99 happens, in fact, to be mad an employee of Illinois Law?


He'd be soon out of a job. Rather, I think he's angling for one of the soon to be vacated positions.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby stratocophic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Has anybody addressed the question of whether or not sparty99 happens, in fact, to be mad?
--ImageRemoved--

Anything else needs attending to?

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby sparty99 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:51 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:As someone who has worked in recruiting, at no point did I consult the U.S. News & World Report rankings to decide where I should recruit students. The only people who care about that are the dumb students applying to law school and the prestige-wh*re admissions officers who want the "highest number."

Illinois (not just the law program) is top notch. The law school has been around since the 1800's. The Illini have the largest alumni base in Chicago. Thus, many of the clients would have gone to the University of Illinois to study business, engineering, law, etc. Are they all of a sudden going to stop recruiting at their alma mater? DOUBT IT. Plus, law school rankings HARDLY change. The schools that are at the top are the same schools that were at the top 10 years ago....a little scandal isn't going to change the hiring perceptions of Illinois students.

Unfortunately, not all hiring for every job is done by UIUC alumni. Those people will probably hire at roughly the same rate. However, what about people without any allegiance to the school? Why would they hire at the same rate? Also, rankings impact the caliber of student schools attract (somewhat). So I think employers would look at the school with that in mind. It's obvious that employers take this into account because grade cut-offs by firms at various schools have a pretty strong correlation with ranking.


Illinois has a 97% bar passage rate and is the largest university in the state. Sidley Austin, Kirkland & Ellis, and The City of Chicago public defender's office will ALL be on campus this YEAR, NEXT YEAR, AND THE YEAR AFTER THAT. Illinois lied about their admissions stats. That doesn't change the fact that these companies have been hiring these students and they have been performing for these companies for the past four years. If a company stops recruiting at a school, it will be because a) they are not hiring, b) students from that school have a bad track record at that company, c) students at that school renig too many offers, d) students at that school come to interviews wearing Khaki's, e) students at that school are too stuck up. It will not be because some jacka$$ in admissions LIED about some admissions numbers.

f) the quality of student has dropped, g) their client's don't like being represented by lawyer's with an Illinois degree

Look, I don't like this situation. The current students are definitely getting screwed here. But to think this will have zero impact is being naive.


The quality of the student hasn't changed. It remains the same. You always had the 3.6/163 student working for your firm. If the Illinois student didn't perform, then you would have stopped recruiting there by now. Clients don't care about law degrees. People in business don't go around asking where you went to school. A client on a murder trial doesn't choose his Defender because he went to XYZ. They care that you solve their problem and have had experience doing this project before.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby sparty99 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:53 pm

I don't want to beat a dead horse, so just contact me next year if Sidley Austin and Kirkland & Ellis don't do OCI next year. Then I'll state that I was wrong and naive.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:53 pm

sparty99 wrote:The quality of the student hasn't changed. It remains the same. You always had the 3.6/163 student working for your firm. If the Illinois student didn't perform, then you would have stopped recruiting there by now. Clients don't care about law degrees. People in business don't go around asking where you went to school. A client on a murder trial doesn't choose his Defender because he went to XYZ. They care that you solve their problem and have had experience doing this project before.

Yeah. That's why HLS students end up with the same job prospects as UIUC students...

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby bjsesq » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:54 pm

sparty99 wrote:I don't want to beat a dead horse, so just contact me next year if Sidley Austin and Kirkland & Ellis don't do OCI next year. Then I'll state that I was wrong and naive.


Clearly all negative impact must be massive and immediate. Retard.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I don't want to beat a dead horse, so just contact me next year if Sidley Austin and Kirkland & Ellis don't do OCI next year. Then I'll state that I was wrong and naive.


Clearly all negative impact must be massive and immediate. Retard.

It's also limited to employers that only hire from the top of the class.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:56 pm

People speaking in defense of UIUC Law reeks of desperation and wishful thinking. I think this turn of events is going to be catastrophic for UIUC. The effects might not be observable for several years, but I think long-term hiring at UIUC is going to be hit, and hit hard.

Yes, the top students from UIUC will still get the great Chicago jobs they've always gotten. You can name all the biglaw firms you want to. That doesn't prove your point. You're going to have to furnish a more compelling argument if you want to be taken seriously.
Last edited by tttlllsss on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby sparty99 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:57 pm

bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I don't want to beat a dead horse, so just contact me next year if Sidley Austin and Kirkland & Ellis don't do OCI next year. Then I'll state that I was wrong and naive.


Clearly all negative impact must be massive and immediate. Retard.


Well, if they recruit next year then I guess they really didn't care about the scandal in the first place. Dick face.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby bjsesq » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 pm

tttlllsss wrote:People speaking in defense of UIUC Law reeks of desperation and wishful thinking. I think this turn of events is going to be catastrophic for UIUC. The effects might not be observable for several years, but I think long-term hiring at UIUC is going to be hit, and hit hard.

Yes, the top students from UIUC will still get the great Chicago jobs they've always gotten. You can name all the biglaw firms you want to. That doesn't prove your point.


We gonna herp derp the other way now?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 pm

sparty99 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I don't want to beat a dead horse, so just contact me next year if Sidley Austin and Kirkland & Ellis don't do OCI next year. Then I'll state that I was wrong and naive.


Clearly all negative impact must be massive and immediate. Retard.


Well, if they recruit next year then I guess they really didn't care about the scandal in the first place. Dick face.

Just in case you weren't aware of this... recruiting =/= hiring. HTH

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby bjsesq » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:59 pm

sparty99 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I don't want to beat a dead horse, so just contact me next year if Sidley Austin and Kirkland & Ellis don't do OCI next year. Then I'll state that I was wrong and naive.


Clearly all negative impact must be massive and immediate. Retard.


Well, if they recruit next year then I guess they really didn't care about the scandal in the first place. Dick face.


Ah yes. Ripple effects must happen within a year or they do not matter. You've gone full retard at this point.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby 071816 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:59 pm

sparty99 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I don't want to beat a dead horse, so just contact me next year if Sidley Austin and Kirkland & Ellis don't do OCI next year. Then I'll state that I was wrong and naive.


Clearly all negative impact must be massive and immediate. Retard.


Well, if they recruit next year then I guess they really didn't care about the scandal in the first place. Dick face.


LOL

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:01 am

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 am

sparty99 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I don't want to beat a dead horse, so just contact me next year if Sidley Austin and Kirkland & Ellis don't do OCI next year. Then I'll state that I was wrong and naive.


Clearly all negative impact must be massive and immediate. Retard.


Well, if they recruit next year then I guess they really didn't care about the scandal in the first place. Dick face.


Cleary, Davis Polk, Debevoise, Paul Weiss, and Weil do OCI at Cardozo. Guess they consider Cardozo the same level of school as Columbia and NYU, since they also do OCI there.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby sparty99 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:03 am

tttlllsss wrote:People speaking in defense of UIUC Law reeks of desperation and wishful thinking. I think this turn of events is going to be catastrophic for UIUC. The effects might not be observable for several years, but I think long-term hiring at UIUC is going to be hit, and hit hard.

Yes, the top students from UIUC will still get the great Chicago jobs they've always gotten. You can name all the biglaw firms you want to. That doesn't prove your point.


Well, like I said. My undergrad had MULTIPLE riots and you know what? It's still standing. Just as it has for the last 150 years. And the same companies came to recruit the student body that was featured on the news tipping over cars, burning couches, and the like. Did McKinsey ask about the riots when they saw my resume? No, sure didn't.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 am

My money is on the fact that we can, at least partially, blame sparty99 for UIUC's new LSAT median. Come on, bro, really? Couldn't even squeak out a 164? shit....

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:05 am

chimp wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Has anybody addressed the question of whether or not sparty99 happens, in fact, to be mad an employee of Illinois Law?

No. Because if anyone is actually curious enough to ask this question, they probably have a spare 17 seconds to do a cursory post history search.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:05 am

sparty99 wrote: Did McKinsey ask about the riots when they saw my resume? No, sure didn't.

Extremely subtle brag, but what have been more effective had you mentioned a job offer from them.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 am

sparty99 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:People speaking in defense of UIUC Law reeks of desperation and wishful thinking. I think this turn of events is going to be catastrophic for UIUC. The effects might not be observable for several years, but I think long-term hiring at UIUC is going to be hit, and hit hard.

Yes, the top students from UIUC will still get the great Chicago jobs they've always gotten. You can name all the biglaw firms you want to. That doesn't prove your point.


Well, like I said. My undergrad had MULTIPLE riots and you know what? It's still standing. Just as it has for the last 150 years. And the same companies came to recruit the student body that was featured on the news tipping over cars, burning couches, and the like. Did McKinsey ask about the riots when they saw my resume? No, sure didn't.

Did they ask about your arrest from the riot? I assume they did, and then did not hire you since you're on a law school forum.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
sparty99 wrote: Did McKinsey ask about the riots when they saw my resume? No, sure didn't.

Extremely subtle brag.


I used to work in recruiting at McKinsey. We indeed asked him about the riots.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby bjsesq » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
sparty99 wrote: Did McKinsey ask about the riots when they saw my resume? No, sure didn't.

Extremely subtle brag, but what have been more effective had you mentioned a job offer from them.


Confused by your concept of subtle.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 am

sparty99 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:People speaking in defense of UIUC Law reeks of desperation and wishful thinking. I think this turn of events is going to be catastrophic for UIUC. The effects might not be observable for several years, but I think long-term hiring at UIUC is going to be hit, and hit hard.

Yes, the top students from UIUC will still get the great Chicago jobs they've always gotten. You can name all the biglaw firms you want to. That doesn't prove your point.


Well, like I said. My undergrad had MULTIPLE riots and you know what? It's still standing. Just as it has for the last 150 years. And the same companies came to recruit the student body that was featured on the news tipping over cars, burning couches, and the like. Did McKinsey ask about the riots when they saw my resume? No, sure didn't.



And how does this irrelevant anecdote prove your original point that overall hiring at UIUC will not be affected in the long-term?

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby sparty99 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 am

Helmholtz wrote:My money is on the fact that we can, at least partially, blame sparty99 for UIUC's new LSAT median. Come on, bro, really? Couldn't even squeak out a 164? shit....


I don't go to U of I, thank you very much.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby 071816 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:08 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
chimp wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Has anybody addressed the question of whether or not sparty99 happens, in fact, to be mad an employee of Illinois Law?

No. Because if anyone is actually curious enough to ask this question, they probably have a spare 17 seconds to do a cursory post history search.


See above edit. Also, I admittedly didn't/don't give enough of a fuck to search this person's post history.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Applesauce11, Bing [Bot], chargers21 and 8 guests