U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
minnbills

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby minnbills » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:This from the same school that charges $250 for a letter of good academic standing for students wanting to transfer out.

That's fucked up.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:21 pm

So disappointing. Who knows what other T25s do this kind of stuff? :(

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 pm

How cooked do you think the numbers were? Can't be Nova style I'm guessing.

coultas4

Postby coultas4 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:41 pm

YourCaptain wrote:How cooked do you think the numbers were? Can't be Nova style I'm guessing.

I hadn't heard about Villanova--how much did they exaggerate their numbers? Did their ranking slip at all? I'm currently a senior at UIUC sooooo, I need to decide whether or not I'm even going to apply here.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:43 pm

As of right now it's not as bad as Nova because these numbers were not reported to the ABA and etc...

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:48 pm

That's too bad. A lot of good people at UIUC who, I hope, aren't hurt by shit like this.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:48 pm

chimp wrote:Isn't the state of Illinois notorious for having a long legacy of public corruption?

I LOLed. And yes. The answer is yes.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:55 pm

All we need now is for Rutgers to do something to one up them. Jersey will always be the king of corruption.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:02 am

bjsesq wrote:A lot of good people at UIUC who, I hope, aren't hurt by shit like this.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 am

soj wrote:
bjsesq wrote:A lot of good people at UIUC who, I hope, aren't hurt by shit like this.

Meh, we weren't going to get jobs anyway.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:20 am

duckmoney wrote:
chimp wrote:Isn't the state of Illinois notorious for having a long legacy of public corruption?

I LOLed. And yes. The answer is yes.

I was just surprised and mildly relieved that there are people who don't know that.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:21 am

DerrickRose wrote:
soj wrote:

I have an acquaintance who graduated median (with previous WE) and still hasn't found work, not a ringing endorsement IMO.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 am

minnbills wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
soj wrote:

I have an acquaintance who graduated median (with previous WE) and still hasn't found work, not a ringing endorsement IMO.

You won't find a ringing endorsement for any law school anywhere. Don't get me wrong, some of our most talented students have gotten tremendous jobs, but like most law students around the country the rest of us are going to be the really nerdy ones in the crowd when America has its Greece-like riots.

But every class currently in law school went into the grain thresher with their eyes wide open as to the state of the legal economy. It's the classes of 2011 and 2010 that I really feel sorry for.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:36 am

Wow, pretty surprised to hear this. I had great interactions with Pless when I met him. I'll be interested to see what comes out of it.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 am

Say it ain't so Pless.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:59 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:
coultas4 wrote:http://www.dailyillini.com/index.php/article/2011/09/college_of_law_facing_internal_investigation

Sorry to tell you guys, it is Dean Pless. We'll see what comes of this.

Wow. Sad to see this.

:(

Postby 071816 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 am

f7 wrote:Marginally relevant:
Joan Manuel Serrat wrote:
Pless wrote:
Joan Manuel Serrat wrote:Hello Paul,

i am international student from spain and have been accept by state school and Cornell, among some other. i would like to practice law international. do you think paying for a ivy degree is better than a degree at a state institution. do you think the prestige will help? i am in tough position because i dont have money and dont receive much aid. how compeitive is UIUC in international law? do they place well in europe? do you think Illinoise students have to "prove themselves" in the market or do they get a boost because of reputation? i dont know how good reputation is of Ilinoise. i think now with obama they might have more reputation. what do you think, paulo?

First, don't call me Paulo. Second, I am not going to compare and contrast law schools for you, sorry that is in my rules. Third, I am a little confused. Are you considering Illinois? We don't place many students to Europe, there really aren't very many law schools that do. We have a strong international law program, but most of our students start their careers in the major US markets. The exception to that would be international students who have existing contacts in their home countries. While many of us are very proud of the fact that the President began his political career here in the great state of Illinois, I don't think it will have a large impact on our reputation.

oh, thank you so much for advice. the "o" was a type mistake, but i left it because i thought it would be endearing. i understand now you dont like that sort of endearment, its ok. some people are low key and humble and others are above that sort of thing. i know. dont worry. but thank you for your help.

LOL

"Don't call me Paulo."

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:50 am

Yeah that post doesn't reflect well.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:52 am

Watershed moment. The minute Deans' heads start to roll, the clock starts towards the time when they ban together and reveal all of the dirt the department deans, university presidents, provosts, alumni, etc. have been pressuring them to engage in. Eventually, they will sue the schools and get hefty paychecks for their silence.

Somewhere along the way, Washington is going to get involved in cleaning up the massive fraud that the schools have perpetrated upon consumers. This is no different than the housing and Wall street collapses, and the sacrificial lambs will behave no differently either. They will begin to rat each other out or the terminated deans will get P-A-I-D!

But that will only buy the schools and their remaining employees additional time. The law schools are going to have to change the way they are doing business, and Robert Morse will soon be out of business if he doesn't fix his garbage, too.
Last edited by PDaddy on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:53 am

PDaddy wrote:Watershed moment. The minute Deans' heads start to roll, the clock starts towards the time when they ban together and reveal all of the dirt the department deans, university presidents, provosts, alumni, etc. have been pressuring them to engage in. Eventually, they will sue the schools and get hefty paychecks for their silence.

Somewhere along the way, Washington is going to get involved in cleaning up the massive fraud that the schools have perpetrated upon consumers. This is no different than the housing and Wall street collapses, and the sacrificial lambs will behave no differently either. They will begin to rat each other out or the terminated deans will get P-A-I-D!

You realize that pretty much nobody has been held accountable for that stuff right?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:59 am

Yeah, I realize that very few people (not "nobody") have been held accountable. The difference is that the records are published, and the fraud the schools are engaging in is much easier to detect.

They can't go back and change their false reports to the ABA and USNWR, etc. They can't change their published brochures, either. And there are fewer people to track. We also have the advantage of knowing exactly how the fraud has been perpetrated. Before recently, most people did not know what a "CDO" is/was - to put the housing crisis in contrast.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:04 am

PDaddy wrote:1. They can't go back and change their false reports to the ABA and USNWR, etc. 2. They can't change their published brochures, either.

1. Well, the school specifically stated these numbers weren't reported to the ABA. And the USNWR hasn't reported anything regarding this year's number either. So, um, what?

2. Report this year's class numbers to this year's class for recruiting purposes? It sounds like they caught it before it led to the shit you are concerned about here.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:32 am

bjsesq wrote:
PDaddy wrote:1. They can't go back and change their false reports to the ABA and USNWR, etc. 2. They can't change their published brochures, either.

1. Well, the school specifically stated these numbers weren't reported to the ABA. And the USNWR hasn't reported anything regarding this year's number either. So, um, what?

2. Report this year's class numbers to this year's class for recruiting purposes? It sounds like they caught it before it led to the shit you are concerned about here.

You assume this hasn't been going on in past years. In which case, inflated numbers have been reported to any and every publisher and use of the info. How much money would you bet that this wasn't an ongoing pattern? I know what I would be willing to bet to the contrary...and it's quite a bit.

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:33 am

f7 wrote:Marginally relevant:
Joan Manuel Serrat wrote:
Pless wrote:
Joan Manuel Serrat wrote:Hello Paul,

i am international student from spain and have been accept by state school and Cornell, among some other. i would like to practice law international. do you think paying for a ivy degree is better than a degree at a state institution. do you think the prestige will help? i am in tough position because i dont have money and dont receive much aid. how compeitive is UIUC in international law? do they place well in europe? do you think Illinoise students have to "prove themselves" in the market or do they get a boost because of reputation? i dont know how good reputation is of Ilinoise. i think now with obama they might have more reputation. what do you think, paulo?

First, don't call me Paulo. Second, I am not going to compare and contrast law schools for you, sorry that is in my rules. Third, I am a little confused. Are you considering Illinois? We don't place many students to Europe, there really aren't very many law schools that do. We have a strong international law program, but most of our students start their careers in the major US markets. The exception to that would be international students who have existing contacts in their home countries. While many of us are very proud of the fact that the President began his political career here in the great state of Illinois, I don't think it will have a large impact on our reputation.

oh, thank you so much for advice. the "o" was a type mistake, but i left it because i thought it would be endearing. i understand now you dont like that sort of endearment, its ok. some people are low key and humble and others are above that sort of thing. i know. dont worry. but thank you for your help.

I'm surprised he even bothered responding to that message..

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:50 am

Bildungsroman wrote:This from the same school that charges $250 for a letter of good academic standing for students wanting to transfer out.

They didn't charge me a dime.

Dean Pless is a great guy, so it really kills me to see this happen to him :cry: . I might have a grudge against the school, but I only have great things to say about Pless and Dean Vermillion.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”