U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:10 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:This makes me even more upset. Why the fuck was Pless lying when he could have just accepted these 170s!

Knowing Pless, I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing this was intentional.

That is how I felt about Pless, but after seeing how drastic the supposed difference in numbers is, I'm just really confused.

The difference in numbers isn't a big deal for me when dealing in medians. My problem lies with the fact that both medians were fucked and both were on the high side. I want to believe in Pless, I really do. This shit just looks really bad.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:This makes me even more upset. Why the fuck was Pless lying when he could have just accepted these 170s!

That is how I felt about Pless, but after seeing how drastic the supposed difference in numbers is, I'm just really confused.

Same: I really, really like Pless. But, if it's not intentional, then I think it signifies incompetence. As I said earlier, I'm not sure that that's much better.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm

It really does look bad. I guess I said the difference because if it had been one or two LSAT points, or .03 GPA, then I could honestly tell myself it was just some sort of mistake somewhere.

As it is, its getting harder and harder to believe that is all it was.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Dooders.

1) It was intentional.

2) Most law schools are juking [MORE IMPORTANTLY] their employment stats. To ALSO mess with your admissions stats (which are so much more difficult to lie about without being caught) shows a complete lack of respect for the intelligence of your applicants.

3) This dean is a filthy liar and thief. A parasite who has been preying on young people who are just getting a start in life. Stop protecting him. You sound like Jerry Falwell apologists right after he appeared on CNN and announced that god caused 9/11 to punish us. Jerry Falwell came across as a really nice guy in person, by the way.

4) If you are planning on attending a school outside of the top 10 or so, DON'T.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Voyager wrote:Dooders.

GTFO. Now. If you attend Illinois, please leave. No, not please. Just leave.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:15 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:

Taking this kind of hard, eh?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Voyager wrote:3) This dean is a filthy liar and thief. A parasite who has been preying on young people who are just getting a start in life. Stop protecting him. You sound like Jerry Falwell apologists right after he appeared on CNN and announced that god caused 9/11 to punish us.

Super cool story. You should get together with areyouinsane so you two can blow each other.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:15 pm

I'd like to see the entire T1 have all their medians subject to an "independent review". More downward revisions than the US GDP forecast

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Voyager wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Taking this kind of hard, eh?

Your comments are neither helpful to nor appreciated by anyone actually affected by this. Seriously. GTFO.
Last edited by NancyBotwin on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downstream

Postby downstream » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:17 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

You guys are delusional if you don't think this was intentional. You don't accident your way into a 5 point swing on a median LSAT score.

UIUC will drop precipitously in the rankings, that much is guaranteed.

However, anyone thinking of dropping out and re-applying is equally delusional. Illinois is still the flagship school in a major state with a tremendously strong alumni base. It will obviously be fine long term. I just wonder how many years they have been lying. Cannot have just been one.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:19 pm

downstream wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

You guys are delusional if you don't think this was intentional. You don't accident your way into a 5 point swing on a median LSAT score.

UIUC will drop precipitously in the rankings, that much is guaranteed.

However, anyone thinking of dropping out and re-applying is equally delusional. Illinois is still the flagship school in a major state with a tremendously strong alumni base. It will obviously be fine long term. I just wonder how many years they have been lying. Cannot have just been one.

Seriously. 163 to 168? Christ. That is not exactly a rounding error.

On the other hand, all of you can console yourselves with the knowledge that you would still be at Illinois if the numbers had bee accurately reported. I doubt it will have a significant impact on your OCI.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:19 pm

It is a little hard to believe the only two numbers law schools care about were unintentionally adjusted in favor of the school. How hard is it to calculate a median? I know 7th graders that can do it.

muaythaifighter

Postby muaythaifighter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:20 pm

how do you "know" someone based on a few conversations in person or on this forum? either pless fudged the numbers or allowed someone else to. there is no other explanation. you don't make a mistake of putting a 168 instead of a 163 for a median, same with the gpa. with that said, i am sorry everyone at illinois who might get screwed because of this but i think you will be fine.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Voyager wrote:Seriously. 163 to 168? Christ. That is not exactly a rounding error.

On the other hand, all of you can console yourselves with the knowledge that you would still be at Illinois if the numbers had bee accurately reported. I doubt it will have a significant impact on your OCI.

What does rounding have to do with a median score? Are you intentionally being dense?

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I guess now is a good time to remind people that we're in an on-topic forum. I understand that this particular topic will lead to many areas of discussion (of varying degrees of legitimacy), but we will start banning people for completely off-topic (e.g., "if you plan on attending a non T6, don't!") posts, or other non-substantive asshattery.

So, 3 out of my 4 points were directly on topic. My fourth point is ALSO salient, although not "PC" for this board. Calling my post "asshattery" is silly of you.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm

NR? Banhammer? Please?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm

I've mentioned this before but I have a friend who graduated median this past year from Illinois and is still unemployed. He came in with a 167 but with little in scholarship money and didn't think twice because he assumed he wasn't well qualified for $$$ at UIUC. If you assume they've been lying about this for some time, it's the kind of thing that would make this recent development truly disgusting IMO.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Jack Smirks wrote:
blurbz wrote:http://www.law.illinois.edu/news/article/1614

Holy shit.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 pm

adammac17 wrote:as a uiuc 1L (who had higher ranked offers) i cant tell you have enraged i am. all the 1Ls i know have been walking around in a daze since getting the email from Dean Smith and i've overheard several unset phone calls to mom/dad/SOs.

does anyone have any knowledge on ways we can get out of this? i dont really have much money sunk in at this point - is dropping out and reapplying next year to other places a possibility???!? would i be able to simply re-apply with my stats or would i gain some stigma as a drop-out?

PM sent

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Voyager wrote:Seriously. 163 to 168? Christ. That is not exactly a rounding error.

What does rounding have to do with a median score? Are you intentionally being dense?

So you seem to be a sad panda. My point was that a 5 point swing is not some rounding error. It is much more likely to be an intentional move. I am confused as to what part of that was unclear.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Thirteen wrote:
muaythaifighter wrote:lol at least it will be easier for ppl to get into illinois now

There's nothing funny about taking out $180k in debt, then dealing with the prospect of unemployment. Grow up.

Cosigned.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Voyager wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

So you seem to be a sad panda. My point was that a 5 point swing is not some rounding error. It is much more likely to be an intentional move. I am confused as to what part of that was unclear.

Calling you a retard doesn't make me a sad panda. Stop deflecting, chuck.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:25 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:NR? Banhammer? Please?

Hey, friend. Slow your roll. I have contributed quite a bit of great content to this community in both the employment and law school admissions sections over the past 5 years or so.

Sorry you are going through a rough patch here. I am not being vulgar or calling anyone names or attacking anyone personally.

Just posting on a topic of interest.

Also, I agree with the above: there is nothing funny about this and I am not trying to make light of it. Quite the opposite. I am as outraged as most of you seem to be.

Calling you a retard doesn't make me a sad panda. Stop deflecting, chuck.

See, that quote is the sort of thing which one would normally assume would result in moderation of some sort. Also, the quote actually makes no sense in light of the exchange.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 pm

1) It was intentional.

2) Most law schools are juking [MORE IMPORTANTLY] their employment stats. To ALSO mess with your admissions stats (which are so much more difficult to lie about without being caught) shows a complete lack of respect for the intelligence of your applicants.

3) This dean is a filthy liar and thief. A parasite who has been preying on young people who are just getting a start in life. Stop protecting him. You sound like Jerry Falwell apologists right after he appeared on CNN and announced that god caused 9/11 to punish us. Jerry Falwell came across as a really nice guy in person, by the way.

4) If you are planning on attending a school outside of the top 10 or so, DON'T.

I don't think I'm too keen to take advice from the guy that found Jerry Falwell 'nice,' dooder.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Voyager wrote:Sorry you are going through a rough patch here. I am not being vulgar or calling anyone names or attacking anyone personally.

Excuse me?
Voyager wrote:

Yeah. STFU.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”