U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JusticeHarlan

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:30 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:As much as I'm enjoying, uhm, whatever the fuck this is, I'm still going to quash this tangential asshattery. Parties are advised to chill.

Kozinski did it better.

If this tangential asshattery were a sci-fi melodrama, it might be called Annoying Poster-Zilla meets Troll Kong.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:57 pm

chrisbru wrote:
dreakol wrote:
iowa city law got you down, breh?

Nah, it's quite nice actually. I just can tell from your few posts ITT that I genuinely hate you.

but we are fb friends, brother.

:(

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 pm

minnbills wrote:To get things back on track... I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a UIUC grad and he says the concensus is that Dean Smith is taking advantage of the situation (which is being overblown, supposedly there was some kind of mathematical error) to settle a personal score with Dean Pless.

Take that FWIW.

I think it's almost impossible to make a mathematical error when calculating a median of ~200 numbers.

I doubt that this rumor is true.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:More seriously: I'm kind of surprised that an error/falsification in completely unofficial reporting could result in a suspension for a respected Dean. I don't want to just tilt myself at the "settling private issues" conspiracy, but I swear that anything short of fraud to the ABA would not warrant the kind of noise a suspension creates (and the ensuing PR buzz, which is infinitely more powerful than a simple retraction would have been).

I think it is kind of serious (if the allegations are correct), because, if they do this like our school does it, these are the numbers they send out to employers to get them to show up at networking events/OCI. These promotional fliers get printed at the beginning of the year and the CSO has stacks of them that they mail out.

If you're lying to potential employers, that's obviously going to hurt some long-term, highly important relationships.

It's almost just as dishonest as a student changing the numbers on their GPA.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:38 pm

JCougar wrote:
minnbills wrote:To get things back on track... I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a UIUC grad and he says the concensus is that Dean Smith is taking advantage of the situation (which is being overblown, supposedly there was some kind of mathematical error) to settle a personal score with Dean Pless.

Take that FWIW.

I think it's almost impossible to make a mathematical error when calculating a median of ~200 numbers.

I doubt that this rumor is true.

Especially when you work with that median all the time. I think people would be thinking "how the hell did we pull that number off?"

Legal Baller

Postby Legal Baller » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:48 am

Nightrunner wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:More seriously: I'm kind of surprised that an error/falsification in completely unofficial reporting could result in a suspension for a respected Dean. I don't want to just tilt myself at the "settling private issues" conspiracy, but I swear that anything short of fraud to the ABA would not warrant the kind of noise a suspension creates (and the ensuing PR buzz, which is infinitely more powerful than a simple retraction would have been).

I think it is kind of serious (if the allegations are correct), because, if they do this like our school does it, these are the numbers they send out to employers to get them to show up at networking events/OCI. These promotional fliers get printed at the beginning of the year and the CSO has stacks of them that they mail out.

If you're lying to potential employers, that's obviously going to hurt some long-term, highly important relationships.

Good point; I hadn't thought of that. If the numbers were sent to employers, that would be different (and a much bigger deal) than just appearing on student fliers.

So, given that all of this is true, how fucked are UIUC students?

And to think, I was very close to attending that school. I guess my decision to attend a TTT actually was a smart choice!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:51 am

still gonna apply...

tennisballs

Postby tennisballs » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:44 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:still gonna apply...

Same.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:45 pm

dreakol wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
dreakol wrote:

Nah, it's quite nice actually. I just can tell from your few posts ITT that I genuinely hate you.

Lol is this true? Maybe I just hate your interwebz persona.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Legal Baller wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Good point; I hadn't thought of that. If the numbers were sent to employers, that would be different (and a much bigger deal) than just appearing on student fliers.

So, given that all of this is true, how fucked are UIUC students?

And to think, I was very close to attending that school. I guess my decision to attend a TTT actually was a smart choice!

I think employers have the ability to separate the students from the acts of the University. However, U of I's repeated ethical missteps may end up having a cumulative effect (probably a fairly small one) on the overall reputation of the degree. No employer is suddenly going to cancel OCI there because of this (unless maybe they find out that last year's numbers were cooked, too, and the employer already interviewed/hired people based on the cooked numbers...but even in this case, each individual student's LSAT is really not a consideration for hiring decisions). I doubt it's going to make a difference in current students' lives, but if I were paying tuition there, I'd be pretty pissed that they can't get their act together, and they're jeopardizing the school's reputation down the road.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:27 pm

chrisbru wrote:
dreakol wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
dreakol wrote:

Lol is this true? Maybe I just hate your interwebz persona.

lol yeah brother

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:US News issues the real penalties for falsified data, not the ABA.

The ABA censure has had no effect on Villanova. CandianWolf was the person who was saying that Villanova would be put on probation and that there would be "severe" consequences for Villanova. Canadian Wolf just talks with no regard for reality. Villanova Law School's admissions data is the strongest it has ever been (accounting for previous innacurate reporting). Also, dropping in the U.S. News rankings doesn't matter. It is the placement in Big Law that matters. Villanova is still top 40 in the NLJ 250.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Villanova should have received a severe penalty from the ABA; Villanova Law's USNews ranking decreased substantially. USNews seems to be the only authority willing to penalize for deliberately falsified data.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Villanova should have received a severe penalty from the ABA; Villanova Law's USNews ranking decreased substantially. USNews seems to be the only authority willing to penalize for deliberately falsified data.

First of all, who cares about U.S. News Rankings. The ABA incident didn't have anything to do with the decrease in rankings.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:46 pm

First of all, who cares about U.S. News Rankings

Law schools, for starters.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Why do you think that the Villanova Law school admins falsified data ?

P.S. I'll give you a hint: It starts with "USNews" & ends with "rankings".
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

And, to a certain extent, employers.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 pm

chimp wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

And, to a certain extent, employers.

And, a majority of "uninformed" applicants.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:24 pm

New Medians:

I'm not happy.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:24 pm

blurbz wrote:New Medians:

I'm not happy.

This can't be real.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:31 pm

blurbz wrote:http://www.law.illinois.edu/news/article/1614

Holy shit.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Jack Smirks wrote:
blurbz wrote:New Medians:

I'm not happy.

This can't be real.

It is.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

muaythaifighter

Postby muaythaifighter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:35 pm

LOL wow, what happened? i thought their 25th was 163 last year. and that was an egregious act of data manipulation btw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”