U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
JoeFish
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby JoeFish » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:37 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:To me, the main problem with iLeap is that you screw yourself if you don't get in to Illinois, because by not taking the LSAT, you rule out any other school. If you put all your eggs in the iLeap basket and you don't get in, you are waiting a year before you can apply again.

I believe they do inform you of your acceptance to the program either during spring of your junior year or the summer thereafter, giving you plenty of time to take the LSAT and apply to any other school during the normal cycle. I don't think there's any "eggs-in-one-basket" issue, at least in terms of having to wait a year. There is still the issue of committing to an option early, without seeing how you would've fared in any other school's application process, but I know at least a few iLeapers whose preferences seemed to be, from most to least desirable 1) Go to UIUC COL, 2) Find a job, 3) Live at home and look for a job, and then 4) Go to another Law School. The program definitely worked without issue for those people.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23929
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Thirteen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 pm

LawWeb wrote:Well this is fitting: I had an e-mail exchange with Pless when I applied to law school. U of I waitlisted me even though I had more than good enough numbers to get in because of some minor character and fitness thing that other schools didn't care about. At that time, U of I had another little scandal, a pay for jobs scandal I think. Anyway, here was what I wrote to Pless at that time:

"The one thing I will say is that no one and nothing is Character and Fitness perfect - not even the University of Illinois. I guess that's what strikes me most. For a school that is looking to have its reputation based on its whole history rather than perhaps a few certain recent reports, you would think there would be more inclination to understand rather than less. I personally believe the first step to truly plotting a new course that puts character first is to become more understanding of imperfection. We too often see the John Edwards, who was among the most vocal Democrats in criticizing Clinton for his affair, or Eliot Spitzer, who declared punishment for prostitution should be made harsher."

Pless decided to dump me from the waitlist after I sent the e-mail. Well, at least my sniffer seemed to work in this instance...


What was this "minor character and fitness thing"? They cracked down on C&F after the 2009 cycle.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Tanicius » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:49 pm

f7 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
LawWeb wrote:Well this is fitting: I had an e-mail exchange with Pless when I applied to law school. U of I waitlisted me even though I had more than good enough numbers to get in because of some minor character and fitness thing that other schools didn't care about. At that time, U of I had another little scandal, a pay for jobs scandal I think. Anyway, here was what I wrote to Pless at that time:

"The one thing I will say is that no one and nothing is Character and Fitness perfect - not even the University of Illinois. I guess that's what strikes me most. For a school that is looking to have its reputation based on its whole history rather than perhaps a few certain recent reports, you would think there would be more inclination to understand rather than less. I personally believe the first step to truly plotting a new course that puts character first is to become more understanding of imperfection. We too often see the John Edwards, who was among the most vocal Democrats in criticizing Clinton for his affair, or Eliot Spitzer, who declared punishment for prostitution should be made harsher."

Pless decided to dump me from the waitlist after I sent the e-mail. Well, at least my sniffer seemed to work in this instance...


What was this "minor character and fitness thing"? They cracked down on C&F after the 2009 cycle.

I'm also interested in his numbers and how he knows the ding was C&F-related.


It was probably typo-related based on the presumption that that email is a verbatim copy paste. lol

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Samara » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:51 am

BearDownChicago wrote:In state tuition in 2006-07 was ~ $20,500 ... In state tuition in 2011-12 is ~ $35,000

Out of state tuition in 2006-07 was ~ $32,000 ... Out of state tuition in 2011-12 is ~$42,000

The inflated numbers --> inflated ranking

Inflated ranking resulted in prospective students over valuing UIUC and thus overpaying. This is called fraud.

I'd be interested to see a national tuition trend. Obviously it's increasing, but definitely not to the tune of $14,500/$10,000. There's potentially a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of damages (gross scholarships).

As an alum, at the very least, I'd like to see this fat bastard disbarred, and every article of Illinois clothing removed from his wardrobe.

They increased tuition so that they could increase their scholarship statistics. When 100% of the student body is receiving scholarships, the tuition increases aren't really increases. But sure, it's fraud.

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby NiccoloA » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 am

To be fair. $36,000/42,000 is definitely too much for a law degree from a school that is not named Harvard or Yale, but it isn't the most egregious example of tuition inflation that I've ever heard of.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 am

Unfortunately, his pay raises were tied to increased LSAT & GPA numbers when it should have been tied to job placement or yield.

P.S. And I do understand the different missions between career services & admissions, but it would be better to work as a team. Also, I understand that increasing yield could lead to lower numbers and consequently, lower US News ranking, but a creative solution could cure this.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Unfortunately, his pay raises were tied to increased LSAT & GPA numbers when it should have been tied to job placement or yield.


Why would the admissions dean have a pay raise linked to job placement?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Unfortunately, his pay raises were tied to increased LSAT & GPA numbers when it should have been tied to job placement or yield.


Job placement is hard to control for the admissions office, but +1 to yield. That's really a good indicator because it shows that qualified candidates are choosing your school over your competition.

ETA: scooped.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 am

Team work among administration, admissions & career placement. That's what most students think that they are purchasing, in my opinion, although reality is often different. Linking pay increases to increased numbers might be too tempting to cheat especially when there is no oversight. Increased numbers do not benefit the consumers without increased job placement.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:10 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Team work among administration, admissions & career placement. That's what most students think that they are purchasing, in my opinion, although reality is often different. Linking pay increases to increased numbers might be too tempting to cheat especially when there is no oversight. Increased numbers do not benefit the consumers without increased job placement.


Increased rank leads to increased job placement. You think people hire people from Harvard because it's a good school? Doubtful. People probably learn more from many of the T14 than HLS.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Kabuo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:14 pm

Opie wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Team work among administration, admissions & career placement. That's what most students think that they are purchasing, in my opinion, although reality is often different. Linking pay increases to increased numbers might be too tempting to cheat especially when there is no oversight. Increased numbers do not benefit the consumers without increased job placement.


Increased rank leads to increased job placement. You think people hire people from Harvard because it's a good school? Doubtful. People probably learn more from many of the T14 than HLS.


I think people would continue to hire from Harvard even if US News changed its formula next year to the effect that the T14 remained the same but H fell to T2. I also think they'd still hire from H if Cooley finally passes it in the rankings this year.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Team work among administration, admissions & career placement. That's what most students think that they are purchasing, in my opinion, although reality is often different. Linking pay increases to increased numbers might be too tempting to cheat especially when there is no oversight. Increased numbers do not benefit the consumers without increased job placement.


Admissions is admissions. Their job is to get qualified students to come to their school, nothing more. Teamwork between admissions and career services wouldn't help anything, since career services only deals with students who are already attending the school.

Students think they are purchasing a law degree from a school with X rank. I'm relatively sure that if you polled all incoming law students, a large majority would admit that they focused more on rank than job placement statistics. Partially because said statistics are largely shit, but secondly because incoming students equate rank with job opportunities.

Increased medians means increased rank means increased interest in the school. That's why admissions raises are linked to these things. However, you are correct in that there should be more oversight. Someone said earlier... If I bring in a bunch of numbers about my performance that I put together myself to my boss, why should he believe me without verifying the data is correct first?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Opie wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Team work among administration, admissions & career placement. That's what most students think that they are purchasing, in my opinion, although reality is often different. Linking pay increases to increased numbers might be too tempting to cheat especially when there is no oversight. Increased numbers do not benefit the consumers without increased job placement.


Increased rank leads to increased job placement. You think people hire people from Harvard because it's a good school? Doubtful. People probably learn more from many of the T14 than HLS.


I think people would continue to hire from Harvard even if US News changed its formula next year to the effect that the T14 remained the same but H fell to T2. I also think they'd still hire from H if Cooley finally passes it in the rankings this year.


They would, and I'm not saying it is a bad school. It's obviously a terrific school. It's also incredibly competitive to the point of being too stressful even for law school, and it's huge. I just mean to say that there are lots of schools that probably produce better lawyers, but it's really about the rankings.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Does anyone else think Smith is/should be out at the end of the school year?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm surprised that he is still there.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Maybe it will be a sort of "Overseeing the transition" thing.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Why would Smith be out? The report completely absolved him. Whether or not its true, Pless is the fall guy for this thing.

Personally, I think Hurd should be fired since she is much more responsible than Smith.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby blurbz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:15 pm

lol at Smith being out.

No. Why would he be? For him to have caught this, he would have had to go through EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION. Why would we even have someone else to do that job if Smith had to do it anyway? This sucks, but it's unrealistic to expect the dean to go over every little detail.

Also, agree with the above: Hurd should be gone. For myriad reasons.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Some think that he only would need to have shown some common sense. But if one wants to believe, then there's always another Bernie Madoff.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Danteshek » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Do you think UI will go after Pless for his ill-gotten salary increases?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
blurbz wrote:lol at Smith being out.

No. Why would he be? For him to have caught this, he would have had to go through EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION. Why would we even have someone else to do that job if Smith had to do it anyway? This sucks, but it's unrealistic to expect the dean to go over every little detail.

Well, he could do crazy things like, I dunno, having at least one other person double check the absurdly important numbers. Especially when the person with sole control over the numbers happens to have his pay scale attached to them.


+1

IMO EVERY administrator with any involvement in creating the system that was responsible for putting Pless in a situation that he was even ABLE to do this should have some consequence.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:23 pm

No, because UI wants the investigations & scandals to end. So far, he has kept his mouth shut & taken all the blame. No need to mess with this & involve others.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Danteshek » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 pm

f7 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Do you think UI will go after Pless for his ill-gotten salary increases?

You should write a letter to the appropriate government agency regarding this matter, with your law review membership included in your signature. TYIA.


This is a contractual matter between two private parties. I do not know that any government agency would care.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Danteshek wrote:
f7 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Do you think UI will go after Pless for his ill-gotten salary increases?

You should write a letter to the appropriate government agency regarding this matter, with your law review membership included in your signature. TYIA.

This is a contractual matter between two private parties. I do not know that any government agency would care.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
blurbz wrote:lol at Smith being out.

No. Why would he be? For him to have caught this, he would have had to go through EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION. Why would we even have someone else to do that job if Smith had to do it anyway? This sucks, but it's unrealistic to expect the dean to go over every little detail.

Well, he could do crazy things like, I dunno, having at least one other person double check the absurdly important numbers. Especially when the person with sole control over the numbers happens to have his pay scale attached to them.


He signed and certified the numbers were true when they weren't. He should be gone.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests