U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
minnbills

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 pm

emkay625 wrote:I do not understand. Pics of what?

They want pics of you...

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:05 pm

minnbills wrote:

They want pics of you...

not all of her

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:06 pm

dreakol wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Here is my question about this: HOW did it happen?

Not the making up stuff, but the median. How does your median LSAT fall FOUR points in one year?! That drop is insane.

Pics and we'll tell you.

I do not understand. Pics of what?

tyft

thank you for trying?

i get more confused as we go.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:12 am

emkay625 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Not the making up stuff, but the median. How does your median LSAT fall FOUR points in one year?! That drop is insane.

Pics and we'll tell you.

Sigh... it was a joke. TLS-style.

Anyways, a few people have explained how it is possible ITT. Basically, if you are really playing games with your medians to begin with, you can possibly be burned. If a few of your 167/168s don't matriculate and you don't have many 164-166s, then you get hurt bad. I am also shocked that they fell this far, but that's the gist of how it works.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:14 am

minnbills wrote:

They want pics of you...

Oh.

This is a self-tar. If you want more, they are in the waiting thread.

Warning: they are of me eating giant hunks of meat. No, that is not a euphemism.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:16 am

romothesavior wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Pics and we'll tell you.

Sigh... it was a joke. TLS-style.

Anyways, a few people have explained how it is possible ITT. Basically, if you are really playing games with your medians to begin with, you can possibly be burned. If a few of your 167/168s don't matriculate and you don't have many 164-166s, then you get hurt bad. I am also shocked that they fell this far, but that's the gist of how it works.

Sucks to be Illinois. It just seems like it would have to be a perfect-storm-esque situation when it came down to who matriculated.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:19 am

Had lunch with a prof the other day and he said there's another way this whole thing could have gone down:

All schools pick a date and time to finalize the class for reporting purposes. At Illinois that date and time is 9:00 a.m. on the first day of 1L orientation. At that time, the admissions folks tally everything up and make it official. After that time, a few people might leave the class because they got off of waitlists at other schools and a few people might join the class after getting off of the Illinois waitlist. Because "census" was already taken and the class was finalized for reporting purposes, these last minute additions and subtractions would not factor into the reported numbers. Now that there are independent auditors, it's possible that they are looking at the people who are actually in the class rather than the people who were in the class at 9:00 a.m. on the first day of orientation.

As a side note, this professor believes that the books were cooked this year, but that the above might explain the small (1 point) differences in previous years.

Interesting possibility.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:29 am

blurbz wrote:Had lunch with a prof the other day and he said there's another way this whole thing could have gone down:

All schools pick a date and time to finalize the class for reporting purposes. At Illinois that date and time is 9:00 a.m. on the first day of 1L orientation. At that time, the admissions folks tally everything up and make it official. After that time, a few people might leave the class because they got off of waitlists at other schools and a few people might join the class after getting off of the Illinois waitlist. Because "census" was already taken and the class was finalized for reporting purposes, these last minute additions and subtractions would not factor into the reported numbers. Now that there are independent auditors, it's possible that they are looking at the people who are actually in the class rather than the people who were in the class at 9:00 a.m. on the first day of orientation.

As a side note, this professor believes that the books were cooked this year, but that the above might explain the small (1 point) differences in previous years.

Interesting possibility.

I thought that they looked at the last ten years and only the past few were ones in which the data was off—the preceding years were completely clean. Little too much of a coincidence for me.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:30 am

I see you read GQ helm...

Anyways, any UIUC students want to fill us in if any new developments have come up?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 am

Helmholtz wrote:
blurbz wrote:Had lunch with a prof the other day and he said there's another way this whole thing could have gone down:

Interesting possibility.

I thought that they looked at the last ten years and only the past few were ones in which the data was off—the preceding years were completely clean. Little too much of a coincidence for me.

+1. Seems highly implausible.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:45 am

minnbills wrote:I see you read GQ helm...

Anyways, any UIUC students want to fill us in if any new developments have come up?

Nothing new

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 am

Kilpatrick wrote:

Nothing new

I hear you play wow. I bet you suck. To prove me wrong, plz see wow thread.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 am

bjsesq wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:

Nothing new

Hahaha I have never played Wow in my life. If I did I would probably suck. I like my video game experiences to not involve other people

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:51 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:

Nothing new

Hahaha I have never played Wow in my life. If I did I would probably suck. I like my video game experiences to not involve other people

Oh. Wrong guy. Ummmmmmmm...........

Sup?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:01 am

You fucking loser.

cheeseburger

Postby cheeseburger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:18 am

Interesting possibility.

lol
tyft

Wart

Postby Wart » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:11 am

Last edited by Wart on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:24 am

Haha well I'm not holding out high hopes for those clubs accomplishing anything considering they couldn't even bother to show up on time.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Has Pless been fired yet or what?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:Has Pless been fired yet or what?

I'm guessing so, he still isn't listed anywhere on the administrative directory.

Also, not sure if this has been posted yet:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011 ... w-students
The consequences of the university's inaccurate admissions data could be more severe than a slide in the rankings, however. Last week, the university, in a second announcement, said that the law school had submitted false admissions data to the American Bar Association and U.S. News magazine in 2008, 2009 and 2010. GPAs and LSAT scores are reported to the ABA as part of its accreditation process.

Looks like the school is under ABA review
Last edited by NYC Law on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:31 pm

His name was removed when the scandal became public.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:48 pm

NYC Law wrote:Also, not sure if this has been posted yet:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011 ... w-students
The consequences of the university's inaccurate admissions data could be more severe than a slide in the rankings, however. Last week, the university, in a second announcement, said that the law school had submitted false admissions data to the American Bar Association and U.S. News magazine in 2008, 2009 and 2010. GPAs and LSAT scores are reported to the ABA as part of its accreditation process.

Looks like the school is under ABA review

From the same article you cite/quote:

The Chicago Tribune wrote:Paul Pless, law school admissions dean, was put on leave last month when the university launched its internal investigation.

So he's "on leave" right now, in that unpleasant purgatory between employment and termination.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 pm

The report is apparently due out at 5 p.m. today.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:31 pm

MBZags wrote:The report is apparently due out at 5 p.m. today.

What report?

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm assuming it's the report by the attorney they brought in from Jones Day. I'm not exactly sure, though, I've just heard that "the report" is coming out today.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”