U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grizz

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:34 pm

nucky thompson wrote:You are missing the core of my argument - which has nothing to do with taxpayer benefits. Assuming you are correct - the fact that public and private law schools get the same amount of tax benefits does not mean each have equal responsibilities to uphold to the Public - my argument remains intact

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 pm

nucky thompson wrote:You are missing the core of my argument - which has nothing to do with taxpayer benefits. Assuming you are correct - the fact that public and private law schools get the same amount of tax benefits does not mean each have equal responsibilities to uphold to the Public - my argument remains intact

please be flame

Wart

Postby Wart » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Last edited by Wart on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:13 pm

"Public law schools & private law schools likely get the same amount of money from tax benefits...". What does this mean ? Certainly not with respect to funding operations, purchasing land or paying for buildings.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Wart wrote:
Unitas wrote:Public law schools and private law schools likely get around the same amount of money from tax benefits thereby destroying this argument in relation to the law school only.

I am also curious how this became known so quickly. Besides the admissions office no one would have access to this information.

Internal whistleblower.

This guy joined today... Interesting

poorperson

Postby poorperson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Sad to see this. U of I is (was? I don't know anymore) one of my top choices. Now I'm not sure whether it's too much of a risk to go there. Employers SHOULDN'T hold this against the students though, since it's not in any way their fault.

I suspect Dean Pless was pressured into this though.... He shouldn't be the only one suspended.

joshgross

Postby joshgross » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:42 pm

poorperson wrote:I suspect Dean Pless was pressured into this though.... He shouldn't be the only one suspended.

There is no "this" yet.

Wart

Postby Wart » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Last edited by Wart on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Relax 1L's... Relax.....

Reserve your "abject horror" for the appropriate time...

And even then.... relax... because there is little you can do to affect the outcome of this situation as it pertains directly to you, short of trying to transfer out for your 2L year. But truthfully, it's unlikely even that would ultimately have any value for most of you... unless you just happen to have the numbers to transfer up after this year... and of course, this yet to be defined "thing" doesn't sour your desired law school to UIUC transfers. (which it most likely would not). But there's no way to know your 'transferability" now... and if you could have gone to a "better" school in the first place, you probably would have, right? So in most cases, it's probably safe to assume that you're not likely to "jump ship" to a better school even if you DO jump ship. (which I wouldn't recommend, but I don't presume that my recommendation would mean anything anyway)

Just go back to being a hard working, non-sleeping, scared-to-death-that-you're-not-doing-enough, wondering if you're actually "getting it," overwhelmed, underprepared, first year law student and let this "scandal" take care of itself for now.

It's not like you're going to drop out of law school over this and short of that, there's not much you can do to change how it will effect you today and you already have plenty to worry about as it is, like Torts, Property, Civ-Pro, Crim, Contracts, LWA, Research, Food, shelter, SOFTBALL...etc.

So, at least for now... chill out.

If later we find out that this has been a rampant issue for a decade and that UIUC actually ends up being ranked in the Third Tier... :lol: ... THEN you can start crying and I'd imagine you might also have a pretty solid Tort case on your hands to boot if you "relied" on the status of U of I's rank for your decision to attend.
Though I'm not sure about that last part... that may be a good question for "The Bru."

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 pm

oldtimer wrote:Relax 1L's... Relax.....

And even then.... relax... because there is little you can do to affect the outcome of this situation as it pertains directly to you, short of trying to transfer out for your 2L year. But truthfully, it's unlikely even that would ultimately have any value for most of you... unless you just happen to have the numbers to transfer up after this year... and of course, this yet to be defined "thing" doesn't sour your desired law school to UIUC transfers. (which it most likely would not). But there's no way to know your 'transferability" now... and if you could have gone to a "better" school in the first place, you probably would have, right? So in most cases, it's probably safe to assume that you're not likely to "jump ship" to a better school even if you DO jump ship. (which I wouldn't recommend, but I don't presume that my recommendation would mean anything anyway)

Just go back to being a hard working, non-sleeping, scared-to-death-that-you're-not-doing-enough, wondering if you're actually "getting it," overwhelmed, underprepared, first year law student and let this "scandal" take care of itself for now.

It's not like you're going to drop out of law school over this and short of that, there's not much you can do to change how it will effect you today and you already have plenty to worry about as it is, like Torts, Property, Civ-Pro, Crim, Contracts, LWA, Research, Food, shelter, SOFTBALL...etc.

If later we find out that this has been a rampant issue for a decade and that UIUC actually ends up being ranked in the Third Tier... :lol: ... THEN you can start crying and I'd imagine you might also have a pretty solid Tort case on your hands to boot if you "relied" on the status of U of I's rank for your decision to attend.
Though I'm not sure about that last part... that may be a good question for "The Bru."

But should I even use the flash drive they sent me? It could be corrupt . . . and then my notes would be gone. :twisted:

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Relax 1L's... Relax.....

But should I even use the flash drive they sent me? It could be corrupt . . . and then my notes would be gone. :twisted:

:lol:
Just erase that bad boy and now you have yourself a nifty new blank flash drive with an Illinois logo on it!

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:44 pm

All right, so I was being a little overdramatic. So sue me.
oldtimer wrote:and if you could have gone to a "better" school in the first place, you probably would have, right?

Nope. :roll:
oldtimer wrote:Just go back to being a hard working, non-sleeping, scared-to-death-that-you're-not-doing-enough, wondering if you're actually "getting it," overwhelmed, underprepared, first year law student and let this "scandal" take care of itself for now.

Come now, I'm gonna be rational about this in real life. You can at least let me vent on the internet. :evil:
oldtimer wrote:which I wouldn't recommend, but I don't presume that my recommendation would mean anything anyway

Nope. :lol:

Postby 071816 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:But should I even use the flash drive they sent me? It could be corrupt . . . and then my notes would be gone. :twisted:

Don't do it. Your computer will immediately get a virus once you insert the flash drive into your usb port.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:47 pm

JoeFish wrote:Come now, I'm gonna be rational about this in real life. You can at least let me vent on the internet. :evil:

I feel like this could be used in about 95% of internet threads.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:I feel like this could be used in about 95% of internet threads.

And, indeed, I do use it in about 95% of internet threads.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:16 am

JoeFish wrote:
oldtimer wrote:and if you could have gone to a "better" school in the first place, you probably would have, right?

Nope. :roll:

This ought to be good...

Please enlighten me, Joe... I'd love to hear your rational as to why you wouldn't have gone to a better school if you could have.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 am

Nightrunner wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Please enlighten me, Joe... I'd love to hear your rational as to why you wouldn't have gone to a better school if you could have.

No, that's enough. The tremendous inability to stay on topic (or, apparently, differentiate between "previous scandal" and "current investigation") displayed in this thread is more than sufficient. I don't care about why Joe chose what Joe chose. If you do, feel free to send him a message.

LOL

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:21 am

To get things back on track... I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a UIUC grad and he says the concensus is that Dean Smith is taking advantage of the situation (which is being overblown, supposedly there was some kind of mathematical error) to settle a personal score with Dean Pless.

Take that FWIW.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:27 am

Nightrunner wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Please enlighten me, Joe... I'd love to hear your rational as to why you wouldn't have gone to a better school if you could have.

No, that's enough. The tremendous inability to stay on topic (or, apparently, differentiate between "previous scandal" and "current investigation") displayed in this thread is more than sufficient. I don't care about why Joe chose what Joe chose. If you do, feel free to send him a message.

:lol:

NOW we have suddenly a Mod. in this thread...

Yeah, it was definitely my post that took us off course... :lol:

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:39 am

bjsesq wrote:That's too bad. A lot of good people at UIUC who, I hope, aren't hurt by shit like this.

You successfully troll a lot of people here, me included, but good post dude.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:40 am

minnbills wrote:To get things back on track... I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a UIUC grad and he says the concensus is that Dean Smith is taking advantage of the situation (which is being overblown, supposedly there was some kind of mathematical error) to settle a personal score with Dean Pless.

Take that FWIW.

Eff that if it's true. Based on everything I know about Pless, having gone through the admissions process, done research, met with him personally, he was nothing but a positive impact on that school.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:45 am

Tanicius wrote:
bjsesq wrote:That's too bad. A lot of good people at UIUC who, I hope, aren't hurt by shit like this.

You successfully troll a lot of people here, me included, but good post dude.

Vlad the Impaler excelled at german and latin. No bullshit.

Wart

Postby Wart » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:46 am

Last edited by Wart on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 am

Nightrunner wrote:Putting aside your sarcasm: obviously this thread (like many) follows some natural tangents, and some of them are followed too far. If we quashed every tangent for being a tangent, we'd police every thread (an outcome no one wants). But your post was basically an invitation to a profoundly irrelevant discussion, and it needed the kibosh. Nothing personal, so chill.

Sarcasm? Surely you jest.

No worries... I'm as "chill" as they get and I don't take anything here "personally" because, well, it's not personal if our relationship isn't personal and it obviously isn't.

I honestly couldn't care less if this thread is moderated or not, I was just poking at TLS mods a bit...

I don't assume that I'll get my most valuable information about this little "numbers mishap" from TLS, but it's fun to see what conjecture other people are freaking out about sometimes and every once in a while some good information can be found here if one looks hard enough (or more accurately, listens to the right contributors and takes the rest with a grain of salt.)

Wart

Postby Wart » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 am

Last edited by Wart on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”