U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DerrickRose

Silver

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Post by DerrickRose » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote: The better question is who the hell talks about their LSAT score? I haven't had that discussion with any of my classmates.
Talking about LSAT's and grades and jobs and all of that is super awkward, but IMO, not talking about it is even more awkward. The way I see it, we're all in the same boat.

Yeah, we are, but I still don't know anyone's LSAT score except my roommates. How would that come up in group conversation?
Oh I only know the LSAT's of a few people, but if you're talking about the LSAT and/or admissions, how does it not come up?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:23 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote: The better question is who the hell talks about their LSAT score? I haven't had that discussion with any of my classmates.
Talking about LSAT's and grades and jobs and all of that is super awkward, but IMO, not talking about it is even more awkward. The way I see it, we're all in the same boat.

Yeah, we are, but I still don't know anyone's LSAT score except my roommates. How would that come up in group conversation?
Oh I only know the LSAT's of a few people, but if you're talking about the LSAT and/or admissions, how does it not come up?
I only know the LSATs of people I met through TLS and knew their TLS persona's LSAT.

ETA: And even then I don't actually remember hardly any of them.
Last edited by birdlaw117 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:24 pm

I only know the LSAT scores of the Illinois people who are on TLS.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:22 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:The better question is who the hell talks about their LSAT score? I haven't had that discussion with any of my classmates.
I didn't bother mentioning this because I took it as a given.

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:48 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Quite a few people in my group of friends. Unless we've all somehow self-selected to hanging out with the only other people above 167, and there are no others in our class, then that would suggest that a large portion of the class is above 167.
wtf is this
LOL at "NancyBotwin" pathetically attempting to cling on to UIUC's credibility and pitifully making last-ditch efforts to justify the blantant fraud going on by Pless! 163 median?! What a joke of an incoming class!

Give it up already. The cat's out of the bag. An independent auditor verified the medians to be 163, 5 points below what was reported. HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:53 pm

If a large portion of the class is 167 or higher then a large portion of the class is 159 or lower. Congrats on that distinction I suppose.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:53 pm

WSJ_Law wrote: LOL at "NancyBotwin" pathetically attempting to cling on to UIUC's credibility and pitifully making last-ditch efforts to justify the blantant fraud going on by Pless! 163 median?! What a joke of an incoming class!

Give it up already. The cat's out of the bag. An independent auditor verified the medians to be 163, 5 points below what was reported. HTH
Let's keep the personal attacks out of this thread. That was very rude and uncalled for. Good for NB for sticking up for her school and classmates. 163 median is still respectable. No it isn't the 167 that they (might have, I guess) had last year. But I'm sure it is still a strong class of people. Don't knock the incoming class based on things that they had no control over.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Botwin is a 2L you stooge. Completely out of line.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:59 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Quite a few people in my group of friends. Unless we've all somehow self-selected to hanging out with the only other people above 167, and there are no others in our class, then that would suggest that a large portion of the class is above 167.
LOL at "NancyBotwin" pathetically attempting to cling on to UIUC's credibility and pitifully making last-ditch efforts to justify the blantant fraud going on by Pless! 163 median?! What a joke of an incoming class!

This is exactly why this situation is so shitty for UIUC students - idiots and assholes like this WSJ_Law tool are now making irrational judgments of the students themselves and the law school as a whole.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:01 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:LOL at "NancyBotwin" pathetically attempting to cling on to UIUC's credibility and pitifully making last-ditch efforts to justify the blantant fraud going on by Pless! 163 median?! What a joke of an incoming class!

I bet you're the life of the fucking party.

illini22

New

Post by illini22 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Most of this is pure speculation. To non-UIUC students, dont judge, your school is VERY likely padding their numbers, either admissions or job placement, we all know this. Also, what matters is 25th and 75th percentile, lets just wait until these numbers come out.

MobyDick

New

Post by MobyDick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:05 pm

MrAnon wrote:If a large portion of the class is 167 or higher then a large portion of the class is 159 or lower. Congrats on that distinction I suppose.
Median not average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:Botwin is a 2L you stooge. Completely out of line.
Were you talking to WSJ or me? I didn't mean to imply she was part of the 1L class, I guess it kind of seems like that though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:07 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Were you talking to WSJ or me? I didn't mean to imply she was part of the 1L class, I guess it kind of seems like that though.
Pretty sure he was referring to the pseudo-scambloggers who seem to be taking pleasure in this story.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:17 pm

+1.
bjsesq wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:LOL at "NancyBotwin" pathetically attempting to cling on to UIUC's credibility and pitifully making last-ditch efforts to justify the blantant fraud going on by Pless! 163 median?! What a joke of an incoming class!

I bet you're the life of the fucking party.
+1.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Nightrunner wrote:WSJ isn't here right now; please don't leave a message.

We now return to our regularly scheduled random speculation.
Pwned.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 pm

MobyDick wrote:
MrAnon wrote:If a large portion of the class is 167 or higher then a large portion of the class is 159 or lower. Congrats on that distinction I suppose.
Median not average.

Thank you for this. It saved me from a vicious self-inflicted face palm.

I don't understand the personal attacks here. There are people on this board who consider Pless a friend based upon interactions IRL. These people are trying to treat their friend with respect despite allegations that look really, really bad for him. Would you treat your friends any differently?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:18 pm

masochist wrote:
MobyDick wrote:
Median not average.

Thank you for this. It saved me from a vicious self-inflicted face palm.

I don't understand the personal attacks here. There are people on this board who consider Pless a friend based upon interactions IRL. These people are trying to treat their friend with respect despite allegations that look really, really bad for him. Would you treat your friends any differently?
Exactly. It's especially hard for us at Illinois because we legitimately, and rightfully, like Pless....but this whole thing just looks terrible.

I wasn't able to go to any of the meetings with Dean Smith yesterday but the accounts that I heard pretty much mirrored what was said on here: He couldn't say too much and was obviously unhappy about the whole thing. I'm hoping there are more meetings once they finish the investigation.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:05 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I forget how young most posters are on this website. I guess young law students tend to be a bit on the serious side.
It might have something to do with the serious nature of this particular topic (especially to Illinois students, and those who know them).
They can take my job prospects, but they'll never take my sarcasm
I like this.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:21 pm

For the people saying who the fuck talks about LSAT scores - it has sort of been a hot topic around the school lately, at least with people I know. I wonder why.

And holy fucking shit people need to calm down about the fact that I used anecdotal evidence. Get over yourselves, you're not all statistics geniuses, otherwise you wouldn't be in law school.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:53 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:For the people saying who the fuck talks about LSAT scores - it has sort of been a hot topic around the school lately, at least with people I know. I wonder why.

And holy fucking shit people need to calm down about the fact that I used anecdotal evidence. Get over yourselves, you're not all statistics geniuses, otherwise you wouldn't be in law school.

i think the fact that it has been a hot topic lately would make me question if someone was telling the truth. the incentive to lie is just so much greater now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Whatever. I still maintain that it is isolated to this year, and to only admissions stats and not employment stats.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote: And holy fucking shit people need to calm down about the fact that I used anecdotal evidence. Get over yourselves, you're not all statistics geniuses, otherwise you wouldn't be in law school.
But seriously though, most 10th graders could tell you that it doesn't mean anything.

Not that I'm implying data from other classes has been altered - because I have absolutely no idea - merely that anecdotal evidence is about as relevant as counting to potato, and if you use it, you can expect to be called out.
Dude. The point has been drilled. Repeatedly. Like a cheap hooker.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:01 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Whatever. I still maintain that it is isolated to this year, and to only admissions stats and not employment stats.
Out of honest-to-goodness curiosity, why? (I assume you have your reasons and are more in-tune with what's going on a lot more than I or most posters on this thread are.) Is it because you still suspect it all being a mistake, thus increasing the possibility it would only happen one year?

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:03 pm

yo nancy - keep smoking the reefer. you can maintain whatever you want but that does not make it true. Just because your huge group of friends all tell you they scored a 167 does not mean your huge group of friends is representative of your class - evidenced by the true median at 163. People were bashing you for using anecdotal evidence because you were bashing/getting ultra defensive when people used similar logical flaws to support their assertions. just dial it down

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”