U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Post by bjsesq » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Ok. I'm officially done white knighting for Pless. This many years of bad numbers indicate pure incompetency or just plain doctoring.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Nevertheless, we don't know who, if anyone, applied pressure to inflate results. Also, can't just blame one individual when superiors left 4 consecutive years of misreporting unreported or even if undetected.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Nevertheless, we don't know who, if anyone, applied pressure to inflate results. Can't just blame one individual when superiors left 4 consecutive years of misreporting unreported.
I'm not. I'm certainly not defending him anymore, though.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:31 pm

The good news is that Illinois had a healthy median LSAT the prior 3 years even though misreported. Competition from Indiana's scholarship program combined with decreased law school applications nationwide was too much for Illinois to bear in light of last year's US News rankings dip despite the highest LSAT median (167) ever for Illinois Law. What rankings drop would a 163 median LSAT cause ? To be so close to being a top 20 law school, then declining to #23 after the highest LSAT median ever & only a 20% admit rate, must have caused mild panic among the UIUC adcomms when faced with reporting a significant drop of the LSAT median to 163 &, probably, a higher rate of admission.

P.S. What was the admission rate for this past cycle ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Will be interesting to see what the Attorney General for the State of Illinois does, if anything, about this matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Wow, pretty disappointing, although not all that surprising.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:23 pm

FYI, around the halls here at UIUC, the early betting line is an announcement of Dean Pless' resignation by the end of the week and Dean Smith heading out the door soon after. This release on the same day the ABA came to start an investigation is not a coincidence - the administration was sitting on these numbers, debating whether or not to release them, and the ABA coming called their hand.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 pm

adammac17 wrote:FYI, around the halls here at UIUC, the early betting line is an announcement of Dean Pless' resignation by the end of the week and Dean Smith heading out the door soon after. This release on the same day the ABA came to start an investigation is not a coincidence - the administration was sitting on these numbers, debating whether or not to release them, and the ABA coming called their hand.
How the mighty fall

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:27 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Will be interesting to see what the Attorney General for the State of Illinois does, if anything, about this matter.
The AG? C'mon. Illinois students and grads were just made fools of. As long as they dont take any action---and they won't---too fearful--- nobody is going to step in and really do anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Splendid.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:33 pm

MBZags wrote:Splendid.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:34 pm

adammac17 wrote:FYI, around the halls here at UIUC, the early betting line is an announcement of Dean Pless' resignation by the end of the week and Dean Smith heading out the door soon after. This release on the same day the ABA came to start an investigation is not a coincidence - the administration was sitting on these numbers, debating whether or not to release them, and the ABA coming called their hand.
Smith had better not leave. :shock: :?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Maybe the ABA will grow some nuts and start more stringent verification on the numbers that schools submit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Maybe the ABA will grow some nuts and start more stringent verification on the numbers that schools submit.
One can only hope.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:37 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
I like Smith too Nancy, but this started the year before he came here (right?) and he was brought in to clean up after the blago issue. I just have hard time seeing how he is not going to get the ax for this and be forced to step down.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:38 pm

adammac17 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
I like Smith too Nancy, but this started the year before he came here (right?) and he was brought in to clean up after the blago issue. I just have hard time seeing how he is not going to get the ax for this and be forced to step down.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:45 pm

The State of Illinois, taxpayers & consumers were "made fools of". Consumer fraud, racketeering & conspiracy.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:45 pm

rut rohhh...... if this was going on at "top" school imagine what's going on at schools nobody gives a shit about ?

The only way this could get better is if somehow Rod* Blagojevich(sp) was involved 8)
Last edited by Sandro on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Maybe the ABA will grow some nuts and start more stringent verification on the numbers that schools submit.
Why would they do this? They are selling a product that will continue to draw consumers even if a bunch of other schools are unveiled as liars.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The State of Illinois, taxpayers & consumers were "made fools of". Consumer fraud, racketeering & conspiracy.
I get your point, but really this is overblowing it. The students will still come to the school no matter what numbers are published. Students opinions of the school have changed overnight as result of this? Or because of a perceived drop in ranking in a magazine? I always thought this sort of chicanery was going on. Its been talked about for years that the employment numbers are made up at law schools. Why would they be honest about these numbers?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Employment numbers are tough to verify; accepted & matriculated student LSAT scores & GPAs are known with certainty.
The State AG should act to keep the feds out.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:53 pm

MrAnon wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:The State of Illinois, taxpayers & consumers were "made fools of". Consumer fraud, racketeering & conspiracy.
I get your point, but really this is overblowing it. The students will still come to the school no matter what numbers are published. Students opinions of the school have changed overnight as result of this? Or because of a perceived drop in ranking in a magazine? I always thought this sort of chicanery was going on. Its been talked about for years that the employment numbers are made up at law schools. Why would they be honest about these numbers?
If you really don't think this information won't have any impact on the quality of students who matriculate, you're nuts. There are tons of people on TLS who have already openly wondered whether or not UIUC is a good choice at this time. I can tell you that I certainly don't regret turning them down, and I'm glad I'm not there now.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Thirteen wrote:
Do you not like Smith? I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him so I'm just curious. He was my favorite professor ever.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Nightrunner wrote:In terms of admissions medians, that's a one year fuck up.

In terms of fraud...four straight years of various median inflation looks pretty terrible. Some might say conclusively terrible.
Agreed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”