U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dreakol

Silver

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Post by dreakol » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 am

oldtimer wrote:
JoeFish wrote:
oldtimer wrote:and if you could have gone to a "better" school in the first place, you probably would have, right?
Nope. :roll:
This ought to be good...

Please enlighten me, Joe... I'd love to hear your rational as to why you wouldn't have gone to a better school if you could have.
i can't speak for joe but maybe scholarship money

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:35 am

Innocent before proven guilty. Does that ring a bell? Try acting like law students. Especially if you're a UIUC student, show a tad bit of loyalty until the dust clears and not throw salt prematurely. Hope Pless is vindicated. Now back to the real world...

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 am

Trying to get even remotely back on track...

What impact do people think this will have on the admissions cycle? Will people avoid applying?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:49 am

minnbills wrote:To get things back on track... I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a UIUC grad and he says the concensus is that Dean Smith is taking advantage of the situation (which is being overblown, supposedly there was some kind of mathematical error) to settle a personal score with Dean Pless.

Take that FWIW.
If this is true I can't tell you how disappointed I will be. To be fair, though, Smith plays his cards pretty close to the vest but he's always struck me as a stand up guy (and he was one of the best professors I've ever had).
Last edited by blurbz on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wart

Bronze

Post by Wart » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:14 am

mez06 wrote:Innocent before proven guilty. Does that ring a bell? Try acting like law students. Especially if you're a UIUC student, show a tad bit of loyalty until the dust clears and not throw salt prematurely. Hope Pless is vindicated. Now back to the real world...
Chill. If you actually read this thread you would notice that most of the people are expressing how much they like Pless and that they hope it turns out to be a mistake. If you "acted like a law student", you would use fact to express your opinion, rather than assumption.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:21 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Every university, public or private, at every level, undergraduate or graduate, admits some people on the basis of their parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc.

It's life. Is it unfair? There is a reasonably argument for each side.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's life.
Platitudes galore.

Wart

Bronze

Post by Wart » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 am

Last edited by Wart on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:30 am

mez06 wrote:Try acting like law students.
I don't think you know what 'acting like a law student' means, unless you've been wanting us to get even more obnoxious.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:35 am

Wart wrote:
iowalum wrote:Trying to get even remotely back on track...

What impact do people think this will have on the admissions cycle? Will people avoid applying?
This is pure conjecture, but I think it will have a small, yet noticeable, impact if the issue is not cleared up before waves of people start applying. I'm not saying that there was a major violation, for all I know it could have been an honest mistake. However, it's all about perception. For one, this "scandal" is coming out just weeks before applications open, so most applicants will be aware of it and might be scared off by the uncertainty. If, however, it is cleared up by the end of the month and ends up being a small issue, I think it will be life as normal.
How many people are actually aware of what's going on? Not all applicants are like the avid readers of TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:39 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Wart wrote:

This is pure conjecture, but I think it will have a small, yet noticeable, impact if the issue is not cleared up before waves of people start applying. I'm not saying that there was a major violation, for all I know it could have been an honest mistake. However, it's all about perception. For one, this "scandal" is coming out just weeks before applications open, so most applicants will be aware of it and might be scared off by the uncertainty. If, however, it is cleared up by the end of the month and ends up being a small issue, I think it will be life as normal.
How many people are actually aware of what's going on? Not all applicants are like the avid readers of TLS.
Also, application fees are all waived. So aside from the reporting fee, the barrier to applying is pretty minimal. Maybe some impact, but I can't see there being that much.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:41 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Wart wrote:

I was just in a cab and heard the newspeople talking about it over the radio.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:45 am

Helmholtz wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Wart wrote:

I was just in a cab and heard the newspeople talking about it over the radio.
Wow. I didn't realize it was that big.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:46 am

Helmholtz wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
I was just in a cab and heard the newspeople talking about it over the radio.[/quote]
yeah, but you're in IL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:50 am

Wart wrote:Anyone here know the what the effects of the "public censure" that Villanova received, had on their school?
Considering what their admissions and employment stats were to begin with, they had little to lose.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:59 pm

I have no real comment on this whole thing other than to say that I like and respect both Pless and Dean Smith a lot and I hope this thing gets resolved positively and soon. But something in this thread as been continually like nails on a chalkboard for me:

It's Illinois, not UIUC. The University stopped using UIUC years ago (which is great because it both makes us sound like a directional backwater school, and it emphasizes the fact that the University is the only entity ever to reverse the universally accepted name of the surrounding area: Champaign-Urbana) and I want it to go away.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:08 pm

DerrickRose wrote:I have no real comment on this whole thing other than to say that I like and respect both Pless and Dean Smith a lot and I hope this thing gets resolved positively and soon. But something in this thread as been continually like nails on a chalkboard for me:

It's Illinois, not UIUC. The University stopped using UIUC years ago (which is great because it both makes us sound like a directional backwater school, and it emphasizes the fact that the University is the only entity ever to reverse the universally accepted name of the surrounding area: Champaign-Urbana) and I want it to go away.
If you don't like it you should convince the administration to rename the school to get rid of the "Urbana-Champaign" part.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:17 pm

When the ABA gave Villanova a mere slap on its wrist, I knew that was not the end of it... it was simply the beginning. Why wouldn't schools "enhance" their admission numbers when the punishment is the posting of an innocent censure?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:55 pm

DerrickRose wrote:I have no real comment on this whole thing other than to say that I like and respect both Pless and Dean Smith a lot and I hope this thing gets resolved positively and soon. But something in this thread as been continually like nails on a chalkboard for me:

+1 Everyone I know here calls the school U of I. TLS and other LS places are the only times I see UIUC.

Also, "Urbana-Champaign" bothers me way more than it should.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:58 pm

US News issues the real penalties for falsified data, not the ABA.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Nightrunner wrote:More seriously: I'm kind of surprised that an error/falsification in completely unofficial reporting could result in a suspension for a respected Dean. I don't want to just tilt myself at the "settling private issues" conspiracy, but I swear that anything short of fraud to the ABA would not warrant the kind of noise a suspension creates (and the ensuing PR buzz, which is infinitely more powerful than a simple retraction would have been).

tl;dr - if the conspiracy theorists are incorrect, then this suspension is likely a poor decision (barring the obvious potential that we're still missing key information)
Ya, the more I think about it, the more this seems correct.

Given the popularity of Dean Pless as well, it must either be something bigger than this or somebody's got an axe to grind with him.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Samara wrote:

+1 Everyone I know here calls the school U of I. TLS and other LS places are the only times I see UIUC.

U of I refers to the University of Iowa. hth.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JustSomebody

New

Post by JustSomebody » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Jack Smirks wrote:
Samara wrote:

U of I refers to the University of Iowa. hth.
No, it doesn't. The University of Iowa is just UI. University of Illinois is U of I.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:46 pm

As far as law students are concerned, University of Iowa is "iowa" and University of Illinois is "UIUC."

FTR everyone in Minnesota calls U of iowa just "iowa." Nobody ever talks talks about illinois out here.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:51 pm

minnbills wrote:As far as law students are concerned, University of Iowa is "iowa" and University of Illinois is "UIUC."

FTR everyone in Minnesota calls U of iowa just "iowa." Nobody ever talks talks about illinois out here.
I think UIUC is a top law school thing, i've never heard it anywhere else

i prefer urbana law to be honest

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:56 pm

dreakol wrote:
minnbills wrote:As far as law students are concerned, University of Iowa is "iowa" and University of Illinois is "UIUC."

I think UIUC is a top law school thing, i've never heard it anywhere else

i prefer urbana law to be honest
I prefer "who gives a flying fuck"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”