U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
downstream

Bronze

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Post by downstream » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:59 pm

That is really a wonderful way of spinning the scandal (jobs for admission). I would really like to meet someone who got one of the "5 guaranteed jobs." I would be floored if such jobs ever materialized.

Plenty of people have resigned over less. It's just about principles.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 pm

downstream wrote:That is really a wonderful way of spinning the scandal (jobs for admission). I would really like to meet someone who got one of the "5 guaranteed jobs." I would be floored if such jobs ever materialized.

Where do you draw the line? Should somebody resign every time he's asked to do something he considers unethical?

Moreover, people need to cool it with the rush to judgment.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm

downstream wrote:That is really a wonderful way of spinning the scandal (jobs for admission). I would really like to meet someone who got one of the "5 guaranteed jobs." I would be floored if such jobs ever materialized.

Maybe in the political field where your integrity is a major part of your brand and exit options are plentiful, but where does an admissions dean go when there (1) aren't going to be any other immediate openings in the field of admissions administration and (2) anyone outside of that area won't give a fuck that you took a stand, so you'll be SOL in the job search.

And what does any of this even have to do with the current issue? Stop derailing.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
downstream wrote:I assure you, there can be no "right side" of a scandal of that nature. You're either in it or not. There are no sides.
First of all, the "scandal" was admitting people with low numbers in exchange for jobs for Illinois graduates. As far as scandals go a lot of schools have done a lot worse.
Okay, gonna stop you right there. If you're arguing that politicians promising jobs in exchange for public institutions giving special consideration to certain connected people is anything but complete corruption and worthy of mass firings and shameful resignations, you are an abject retard. Not saying Pless in particular did anything wrong in that admissions scandal, but if the quoted post is really your summary of the scandal then I think you're really missing the point.

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Taxpayer dollars are given to Illinois. This was a violation of public trust and public money. Not "jobs for admissions."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
downstream wrote:I assure you, there can be no "right side" of a scandal of that nature. You're either in it or not. There are no sides.
Second, you really think he should have quit his job because his boss made him admit a few kids with shitty numbers? In an ideal world that might have been nice, but realistically who in the fuck would take that kind of stand? Dude's got a wife and kid.
TITCR

This made me laugh. I am not sure your "principles" are going to feed his family.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:08 pm

No matter who was responsible for this latest transgression one has to wonder how many other schools are publishing false statistics about their classes. No one is vetting these things, they seem to be caught by mistake almost.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:11 pm

MrAnon wrote:No matter who was responsible for this latest transgression one has to wonder how many other schools are publishing false statistics about their classes. No one is vetting these things, they seem to be caught by mistake almost.

Agreed, it's kind of frightening. As upset as I am about this, I'm glad Illinois is getting out in front of it. The numbers were not yet reported to the ABA and the school has hired a number of outsiders (Jones Day and a forensic analysis firm) to do the investigation.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Somewhat back on topic, the article is fairly vague when it comes to exactly what numbers were fudged and by how much. If I remember correctly, the new reported median LSAT was a 168 for the class of 2014. Was that the fudged number or does this potentially have something to do with last year's admission cycle? I don't think you should really burn the guy at the stake if his office put out a median of of 168 when it was really a 167. Remember it was only promotional material, not numbers to the ABA. Plus, who knows exactly who it is that messed up or if he put the seal of approval on this happening. I'm sure we will see some articles on this in the coming weeks. That all being said, he probably should lose his job if he knowingly allowed it to happen or didn't oversee his staff enough to know that it had happened.
Last edited by ThomasMN on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:13 pm

NYC Law wrote:

Maybe in the political field where your integrity is a major part of your brand and exit options are plentiful, but where does an admissions dean go when there (1) aren't going to be any other immediate openings in the field of admissions administration and (2) anyone outside of that area won't give a fuck that you took a stand, so you'll be SOL in the job search.

And what does any of this even have to do with the current issue? Stop derailing.
+1

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:13 pm

This made me laugh. I am not sure your "principles" are going to feed his family.
Looks like the same result happened either way.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:15 pm

Reading comp fail on my part, the article makes it fairly obvious that it is info on the class of 2014 was fudged. So much for their LSAT jump.

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 pm

downstream wrote:
Looks like the same result happened either way.
Not quite, you are conflating two separate issues.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:23 pm

ThomasMN wrote:Reading comp fail on my part, the article makes it fairly obvious that it is info on the class of 2014 was fudged. So much for their LSAT jump.
Yeah I think those would be the only numbers not yet reported to the ABA. Wasn't long ago we were applauding UIUC for figuring out a way to keep those medians on the rise.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Last edited by JamMasterJ on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:28 pm

blurbz wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Is UIUC the school that allowed all those people (who had awful numbers) into the law school because of the "connections" the students had?
Yes indeed.
At least Pless's emails, now available publicly, suggest he was on the "right" side of that debacle. It is those emails that keep me hopeful he's on the "right" side now, too....

In any event, sad day.
So Pless, who is now looking pretty shady, wasn't part of the other shady group of people? Cool, so I guess we have a lot of bad apples, instead of just one. I'm trying to think of any other T25 administration in recent years that has shown itself to be so corrupt.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:33 pm

You really have to question if any employer is going to seriously consider a U of I student. Who knows if the student just manufactured his own transcript or not?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Yikes. Pless was such a helpful presence on TLS, but now we've gotta wonder what the fuck's goin on over in Illinois. Hopefully they get things straightened out in a hurry.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:17 pm

MrAnon wrote:You really have to question if any employer is going to seriously consider a U of I student. Who knows if the student just manufactured his own transcript or not?
/facepalm

coultas4

New

Post by coultas4 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:23 pm

http://www.dailyillini.com/index.php/ar ... estigation

Sorry to tell you guys, it is Dean Pless. We'll see what comes of this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 pm

coultas4 wrote:http://www.dailyillini.com/index.php/ar ... estigation

Wow. Sad to see this.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Isn't the state of Illinois notorious for having a long legacy of public corruption?

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:
coultas4 wrote:http://www.dailyillini.com/index.php/ar ... estigation

Wow. Sad to see this.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:12 pm

This from the same school that charges $250 for a letter of good academic standing for students wanting to transfer out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”