Northwestern WE question- applying senior year

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
senorhosh

Northwestern WE question- applying senior year

Postby senorhosh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:15 am

I hear NU counts work experience for the year after you apply, if you are applying post grad (provided you have a job before applying).

For example, I'm applying my last year of college so I'll have a year off before starting law school. Will NU count that year as 1 year WE? I read somewhere that they do but I just wanted to confirm this.

Also do they take into account part time work during UG at ALL, if it was a substantial amount (2-3 years)?

dr123

Re: Northwestern WE question- applying senior year

Postby dr123 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:18 am

senorhosh wrote:I hear NU counts work experience for the year after you apply, if you are applying post grad (provided you have a job before applying).

For example, I'm applying my last year of college so I'll have a year off before starting law school. Will NU count that year as 1 year WE? I read somewhere that they do but I just wanted to confirm this.

Also do they take into account part time work during UG at ALL, if it was a substantial amount (2-3 years)?

No, everyone had a part time job in UG

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 am

I don't get this. You are applying and telling them you plan to defer?

(Also, they sometimes give a full ride with a forced deferral- it seems it may be for dudes like you to get WE.)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:18 am

NU generally counts just full time postgrad work experience up to the time of matriculation (though working through college can help people who only have 1 year). Their class breakdown is something like 40% 3+ years, 40% 2 years, 15% 1 year, 5% 0 years, so it's still an uphill battle with only 1 year work experience.

But your question makes no sense. If you are applying your senior year that means you will be starting the fall after your senior year which means you only have summer (so basically 3 months) between finishing UG and starting law school. You're not going to have a year of postgrad work if you're applying your senior year.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:25 pm

bk1 wrote:NU generally counts just full time postgrad work experience up to the time of matriculation (though working through college can help people who only have 1 year). Their class breakdown is something like 40% 3+ years, 40% 2 years, 15% 1 year, 5% 0 years, so it's still an uphill battle with only 1 year work experience.

But your question makes no sense. If you are applying your senior year that means you will be starting the fall after your senior year which means you only have summer (so basically 3 months) between finishing UG and starting law school. You're not going to have a year of postgrad work if you're applying your senior year.

+1

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:41 pm

bk1 wrote:NU generally counts just full time postgrad work experience up to the time of matriculation (though working through college can help people who only have 1 year). Their class breakdown is something like 40% 3+ years, 40% 2 years, 15% 1 year, 5% 0 years, so it's still an uphill battle with only 1 year work experience.

oh whoops i realized my mistake.
I meant I'm applying as the same year as I graduate, not DURING my last year.
So I would have a year.

Anyway thanks

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”