Applications with Diversity and Why x

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
slyyr

Applications with Diversity and Why x

Postby slyyr » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Any advice on submitting a diversity statement and why x statement along with your personal statement. Is it okay to submit all three even though schools don't explicitly ask for them ?

My personal statement is 2 pages, diversity statement is 1 page, and I plan on writing a paragraph or two why x for my top choices and for my reaches.

Thanks

No13baby

Re: Applications with Diversity and Why x

Postby No13baby » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:26 pm

slyyr wrote:Any advice on submitting a diversity statement and why x statement along with your personal statement. Is it okay to submit all three even though schools don't explicitly ask for them ?

My personal statement is 2 pages, diversity statement is 1 page, and I plan on writing a paragraph or two why x for my top choices and for my reaches.

Thanks

Yes, you can do all of these (although I think there are some schools in the T14 that frown on the Why X statements - I'm too stupid to apply to them so others can probably go into greater detail.) Just upload your extras in the "optional addendum" section on the LSAC application.

slyyr

Postby slyyr » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Any other opinions? Are there any downsides to having extra addenda like these when not explicitly asked for?

Thanks

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:11 pm

only if they're poorly written/irrelevant.

If you write a gpa/lsat addendum that just says you didnt study enough that might hurt. If you spend 30 minutes writing 2 paragraphs of hastily researched stuff you got from their homepage for a why x essay for a school that doesn't ask for one that might hurt as well.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:only if they're poorly written/irrelevant.

+100

slyyr

Postby slyyr » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:22 am

only if

i plan on writing why x for a reach and for geographic issues coming out of my home state/market.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:33 am

slyyr wrote:only if

i plan on writing why x for a reach and for geographic issues coming out of my home state/market.

Uh, whatever the bolded is, do not do it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”