removed Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Last edited by dsb83 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Re: Need A Lot of Advice re: splitter, multiple lsats, gpa add.

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:45 pm

When I look at your GPA and take into account your story, what I see is you being dedicated to your education. You struggled and pushed yourself through, and you're the better for it. Also, with your work experience it seems like you got your life back on track and that all bodes well for you.

But, then you discuss that it's only been about a year since your world was messed up again. So, my concern is going to be the same as many other posters in that it seems like you may not be as in control as you think you are. My main concern, therefore, wouldn't be about your GPA (which I personally feel is less relevant than some other issues) but about your mental health. For that reason, I think your best bet is to actually speak with the schools, so any place that would grant you an interview like Vandy might be particularly advantageous for you. I'm sure you can explain quite a bit in your addendum but I fear that if you list everything in the same manner as you did on here it will overwhelm the adcomm and make them rather hesitant to admit you. However, my feeling is that if they met you and actually saw that you were healthy and stable it would do much more for you than you simply stating it on a piece of paper.

Now, granted this isn't an option for most places, but in my opinion it might be your strongest option.

As for being automatically rejected from UT, I don't know that I think it's as cut and dry as that, I think it depends more on how you present your situation. You need to position yourself as being in control of your mind, not the one being controlled (which is personally how your explanation came across to me.)

I wish you the best, and I hope that everything works out the best for you!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 pm

You might want to post in the LSAT Prep forum. I'm sure plenty of people who scored in the 150s and 160s are curious as to how things suddenly opened up on your practice tests. Study hard? Get a 164. Put everything down for a year and try again cold? Get a 180. It sounds like you've found the magic elixir everyone in that forum needs.

dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Last edited by dsb83 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Last edited by dsb83 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Anything you can do to increase your overall GPA is going to have a positive impact on your admissions chances--regardless of where you apply.

However, it's extremely naive to assume that you will score a 180 on the test. Operating under that assumption may cause you more strife than you'd like. From what I know, most people do a few points worse on the actual test than they do during PT time. It's important to account for that when you're working with hypothetical conditions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”