(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Leighmak

Postby Leighmak » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:57 am

Last edited by Leighmak on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drmguy

Re: People who have submitted addendums to explain LSAT scores

Postby drmguy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 am

Making up an excuse could hurt you more than not submitting an addendum at all.

Leighmak

Postby Leighmak » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:04 am

Last edited by Leighmak on Wed May 16, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:09 am

For example, "I didn't study enough" will be a negative.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:11 am

drmguy wrote:For example, "I didn't study enough" will be a negative.

Seriously. They can tell you weren't prepared by your scores, no points in drawing more attention to that fact.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:15 am

I took two LSATs three and four years ago and didn't study for either. I've been advised by some schools to write an addendum regarding my score discrepancies between then and June 2011, regardless of the reason. I explained it as merely a change in priority as a result of growing up. I don't plan on submitting the addendum with all of my apps. Only those that explicitly request them with multiple scores.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:16 am

Some schools require an addendum for a score jump of more than 5 or 6 points. In that case, you'll just have to state matter-of-factly that you took the test under-prepared before, and you believe that the higher score more realistically reflects your abilities.

If a school doesn't require it, I wouldn't submit an addendum.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Some schools require an addendum for a score jump of more than 5 or 6 points. In that case, you'll just have to state matter-of-factly that you took the test under-prepared before, and you believe that the higher score more realistically reflects your abilities.

+1

In general I feel like GPA addendum make more sense than LSAT addendum.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:37 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Some schools require an addendum for a score jump of more than 5 or 6 points. In that case, you'll just have to state matter-of-factly that you took the test under-prepared before, and you believe that the higher score more realistically reflects your abilities.

+1

In general I feel like GPA addendum make more sense than LSAT addendum.

Definitely. The only truly effective LSAT addendum I have ever seen came from a student for whom English was a second language. She went from 14X to 16X, I believe, because she took an extremely intense English language course between the administrations. The only other 'excuse' I'd even consider writing up without trepidation is something medical or a death in the family (though in both cases you should have just postponed).

While they're sometimes required by schools, everything else falls a little flat.

neri

Postby neri » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Leighmak wrote:Hi all,

I got a 154 on the LSAT 3 years ago after my junior year. I had just moved to DC for an internship, and I honestly didn't study nearly as much as I should have. After I graduated, I took a year off to work, and I re-took the LSAT in June after a month of studying. I scored a 163. I'm taking again in October, and so far I've been averaging a 175 on timed practice tests as I knew exactly what areas I needed to focus on for improvement this time. If I am fortunate enough to pull off over 170, I assume I should write an addendum to explain the wide gaps.

For those of you who have successfully applied to schools with addenda explaining multiple LSAT scores, what explanations did you offer?

Hi,

I read that you went from a 154 to a 175 on your current practice tests, what methods, books or programs are you using? aAre tou using any programs ? Thanks

neri

Postby neri » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:26 pm

neri wrote:

I got a 154 on the LSAT 3 years ago after my junior year. I had just moved to DC for an internship, and I honestly didn't study nearly as much as I should have. After I graduated, I took a year off to work, and I re-took the LSAT in June after a month of studying. I scored a 163. I'm taking again in October, and so far I've been averaging a 175 on timed practice tests as I knew exactly what areas I needed to focus on for improvement this time. If I am fortunate enough to pull off over 170, I assume I should write an addendum to explain the wide gaps.

For those of you who have successfully applied to schools with addenda explaining multiple LSAT scores, what explanations did you offer?

Hi,

I read that you went from a 154 to a 175 on your current practice tests, what methods, books or programs are you using? aAre tou using any programs ? Thanks

I ask this because I am struggling, actually struggling is an understament, I know how to do the test, I understand the questions, at least most of them, but when time comes to answering them I cant seem to.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 am

neri wrote:
neri wrote:

Hi,

I ask this because I am struggling, actually struggling is an understament, I know how to do the test, I understand the questions, at least most of them, but when time comes to answering them I cant seem to.

Wrong forum. Go here:
viewforum.php?f=6

Alternatively, you can private message the individuals you want to direct your questions to.

Leighmak

Postby Leighmak » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:38 am

Last edited by Leighmak on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leighmak

Postby Leighmak » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:39 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”