Question about acceptances while abroad

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hal20

Question about acceptances while abroad

Postby hal20 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:45 am

Hey guys, I am currently living in a rural area abroad where it has proven difficult and time consuming to receive mail. For this reason, I want to make sure all materials for this cycle (acceptance packets, scholarship info, etc.) get sent to my parents' address or my email. What is the best method of conveying this to schools?

1. Excluding my abroad address altogether by putting my current address as my parents' address. (I'm worried about this since I refer in my app to my present location abroad...)
2. Putting my abroad address with an addenda attached asking for all materials to be sent to elsewhere. (Suggestions for where to attach said addenda?)
3. Putting my abroad address and crossing my fingers that when schools see it they will automatically just email me.

Other suggestions most welcome. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by hal20 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

AGooner11

Re: Question about acceptances while abroad

Postby AGooner11 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:47 am

I'm doing something similar from Vinh, Vietnam. I've just kept everything going to my Texas address and will check in with my parents from time to time. In our situation, I don't particularly trust the two-week mail timeline nor odds of the mail actually getting there. I think the schools will understand your situation when reading your application.

acrossthelake

Re: Question about acceptances while abroad

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 am

I think some apps actually have a field for this--where should we mail you as opposed to where are you now. A lot of schools by default e-mail as well--international applicants actually can often find out before domestic applicants in the same wave this way. You can also e-mail the individual schools and that should take care of it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”