GPA Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BKCentral

GPA Addendum

Postby BKCentral » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by BKCentral on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Re: GPA Addendum

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Did you get straight F's in Spanish or something? I think schools would have a tough time buying that your GPA was destroyed by classes the University requires everyone to take.

Give us an idea of what the addendum would say.

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:15 pm

Basically I could have dropped the major to take an easier major w. less lang-reqs, but I decided not to do so, even knowing that my GPA would be lowered because of my ineptness as languages, because of my love for history.
Last edited by BKCentral on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 pm

i would not. most gpa addendums are reserved for medical, death in the family, etc. your excuse sounds just like that, an excuse that is not justified. it is not going to help you, but even hurt you since you sound like a whiner.

"my gpa is low because i had to take language classes and it was unfair because other majors don't have to take as much"
with your reasoning a pure science major could write "my gpa is low because i had to take pure science classes and it was unfair because other majors don't have to take these courses"

redsox

Postby redsox » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 pm

BKCentral wrote:Well I am a history major, and, unlike other majors at my school for which the university requires only 3 semesters of langs, history requires 5 semesters. After taking a couple of Russian history courses and thoroughly enjoying them Freshmen year, I decided to start out by taking Russian language at the advice of a friend and professor (who said it would be good to get a "specialty." After receiving a C+ and then an F, I decided to drop Russian and go with French which I hoped would be easier. I received a B+, C+, and B so far, with one more semester to go. Other than foreign language, I'm mainly a A, A-, and some B+s student.

Although I realize the schools might notice this trend on their own, I just wondered if it would be OK to point it out, or whether it would even be beneficial to do so.

Basically I could have dropped the major to take an easier major w. less lang-reqs, but I decided not to do so, even knowing that my GPA would be lowered because of my ineptness as languages, because of my love for history.

Does your school require you to actually take 5 semesters, or can you place out of some/all of it? As far as I'm concerned, all you've done is demonstrate either poor self-awareness, poor awareness of the requirements of your chosen major, or poor decision making. Not sure why you'd want to highlight this for law schools. Without a foreign language requirement my GPA would have been be half as far away from 4.0 as it was when I graduated. I have reasons for that too. I was too lazy to take an AP exam in high school, too lazy to study for the exam to place out of the language requirement at my school, and too lazy to work hard in the language classes I did take. Am I going to highlight my laziness for law schools when/if I apply? No. Should you highlight your poor choices? Your call.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:27 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:28 pm

The only way I can imagine you possibly phrasing this would boil down to, "I'm really bad at languages." That's not a good addendum. I'd skip it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”